NCsoft - Richard Garriott Suing

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Kotaku seem to have unearthed 'negotiations' still on-going between RG & NCsoft.
Late last year, Ultima creator Richard Garriott split from NCsoft, the developers and publishers behind his latest game, Tabula Rasa. Sounds like the split wasn't exactly amicable.
While at the time it sounded like Garriott had - fresh from his trip into space - simply walked away for a new challenge outside of games development, court documents have surfaced today showing that Garriott is suing NCsoft for a whopping $24 million.
More information.

Well, two things.
NCSoft did seem to waste very little time on shutting Tabula Rasa down, rather than continue refining and completing it. Really fast in fact.
Space trips are expensive and can put some serious hurt on your bank account.
Good Luck there Richard! And how's about a new 'sandbox' type mmo? Preferably before I run out of time myself. Setting up a virtual cabin and chopping trees to make chairs sounds like about my speed these days.. haha (ala UO)

Well, two things.
NCSoft did seem to waste very little time on shutting Tabula Rasa down, rather than continue refining and completing it. Really fast in fact.
Space trips are expensive and can put some serious hurt on your bank account.
Good Luck there Richard! And how's about a new 'sandbox' type mmo? Preferably before I run out of time myself. Setting up a virtual cabin and chopping trees to make chairs sounds like about my speed these days.. haha (ala UO)

Tried 'A Tale in the Desert' yet?

runescape, actually. Has a ridiculous amount of crafting things and construction, and it's free. Paid is like 6 bucks a month

runescape, actually. Has a ridiculous amount of crafting things and construction, and it's free. Paid is like 6 bucks a month

Problem with Runescape is that 99% of the population is like 13 years old (at least it seemed so to me). In ATITD it's much more mature, although definitely not nearly as populated (being a non-combat MMO you can see why).

Problem with Runescape is that 99% of the population is like 13 years old (at least it seemed so to me). In ATITD it's much more mature, although definitely not nearly as populated (being a non-combat MMO you can see why).

That problem that you perceive isnt really so when you play it solo or with a friend, as I do. Especially if youre in it for the crafting, you dont have to even communicate w/ anyone else, ever. There can be competition for resources when a server is heavy population, but that's anywhere. The only thing that you really need other players for is to selling and buying items at the auction house, which is all done 3rd party so you dont have to even deal w/ anyone else directly.

I hope that richard garriott would make a single player rpg with scifi setting some day. His recent space travel experience certainly wouldn't hurt...:)

I hope that richard garriott would make a single player rpg with scifi setting some day. His recent space travel experience certainly wouldn't hurt...:)

It's not going to happen. He abandoned single player games a long time ago. He's more interested in "virtual worlds" with MMO than his original SP titles. I think hell will freeze over before he does another SP game or he runs out of money and has to make one.

I wished Tabula Rasa was SP, too.

I think that's a great Minus of online games: One cannot play them alone anymore.

SP games have the great Plus that I can play them anytime even after the company's long gone, in principle.

Therefore, ideal would be a hybrid, I think. Perhaps a thing like Sacred 2 : An MP game playable in SP mode, too.
This means that the gaming engine is MP first, and then SP.

Back
Top Bottom