Iphone RPGs with depth?

I pretty much stopped gaming on my Ipad / Galaxy Note 10.1 with the advent of Freemium games... Drives me mad =/

I pretty much stopped gaming on my Ipad / Galaxy Note 10.1 with the advent of Freemium games… Drives me mad =/

What really bugs me is stuff like Real Racing 3 and Dungeon Hunter 4 ... because in most ways those are the best games of the series ... but they are just stuffing 'BUY NOW' in your face so much you end up despising the games!

That is why I try to stay with 'normal' games.

Because what you are dealing with, for the most part, is tactics, not strategy. Fire emblem is a TBT (turnbased tactical), as opposed to turnbased strategy like Civilization. There is no absolute line between the two sides (tactics & strategy), but Fire Emblem is clearly in the tactics field (and Civ in the strategy field).

Some thesaurus say that strategy and tactics are the same thing. Other games similar to Fire Emblem calls themselves SRPG's like Shining force games etc. "Tactical RPG" is a marketing gimmick imo.

Same here, although I don't mind games like mobile fortress where it's free for the first chapter but then you have to pay for the full game. But IAP in general is definitely a serious plague in Igaming and one of it's biggest weakness as a platform. It's a rare and notable game that doesn't have some form of IAP in it.

What really bugs me is stuff like Real Racing 3 and Dungeon Hunter 4 … because in most ways those are the best games of the series … but they are just stuffing 'BUY NOW' in your face so much you end up despising the games!

That is why I try to stay with 'normal' games.

Some thesaurus say that strategy and tactics are the same thing. Other games similar to Fire Emblem calls themselves SRPG's like Shining force games etc. "Tactical RPG" is a marketing gimmick imo.
Those are wrong though, incredibly wrong. There is an overlap between strategy and tactics, true, but to say that it is the same thing is just spreading blatant misinformation. The two fields are defined, and they are not defined the same way.
I'm going to quote Wikipedia here, as I think it explains things better than I can:
. In current military thought, tactics are the lowest of three planning levels. The highest tier of planning is the strategy, which is about how force is translated into political objectives, or more specifically how you bridge the means and ends of war together.
This is from Military Tactics on Wikipedia. You can also check the Military Strategy article, for more information about what defines strategy.

They should just port wizardry 8 and might and magic 8 to the iPad. They wouldnt even really have to redo the graphics. If they had a couple games like that on the app store baldurs gate would actually have some competition and its devs would maybe possibly update it once in a while. I dont mind remakes or ports because i never played those games back in the day and i dont even have a good gaming pc just an imac and hate sitting in front of my desk. So it would be awesome for guys like me if we could play these games laying down.

I really don't want anymore PC ports to Ipad. I've already played nearly every good pc rpg to death.

I really don't want anymore PC ports to Ipad. I've already played nearly every good pc rpg to death.

Exactly ... I have no problems with ports, and I buy most of them... But the whole thing here is fresh IP. Most other genres on the iPhone have unique IP except for cRPG

There is the might and magic ds port? Any of you played it? How is it? ALso, wasnt there a psn port of some crpg series like wizardry?

edit here: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Wizardry_Labyrinth_of_Lost_Souls_iOS/

I definitely think Might and Magic 7 would do wonders on the iPad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_AMWt2qgAk

I dont get why Morrowind was such a big deal when games like this existed before it. I have never played it but just watching the vids of it and wizardry 8 makes me want to so bad on the iPad.

Those are wrong though, incredibly wrong. There is an overlap between strategy and tactics, true, but to say that it is the same thing is just spreading blatant misinformation. The two fields are defined, and they are not defined the same way.
I'm going to quote Wikipedia here, as I think it explains things better than I can:

This is from Military Tactics on Wikipedia. You can also check the Military Strategy article, for more information about what defines strategy.

This is from the strategy link
"Strategy is the art of distributing and applying military means, such as armed forces and supplies, to fulfil the ends of policy. Tactics means the dispositions for, and control of, military forces and techniques in actual fighting. Put more shortly: strategy is the art of the conduct of war, tactics the art of fighting."

I still dont see how it doesnt apply to Fire Emblem.
Instances of strategy:
Management of gold
Distribution of supplies
Management of units
Management of experence

There is the might and magic ds port? Any of you played it? How is it? ALso, wasnt there a psn port of some crpg series like wizardry?

edit here: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Wizardry_Labyrinth_of_Lost_Souls_iOS/

The Might & Magic Clash of Heroes game is a port of the DS game and was loads of fun. But again, not really a RPG.

The Wizardry game was a PS port, from the time way after they stopped being cRPGs ... and I agree with the text of the review and think the score was too high.

This is from the strategy link

I still dont see how it doesnt apply to Fire Emblem.
Instances of strategy:
Management of gold
Distribution of supplies
Management of units
Management of experence

I said that it had elements of strategy, but that it is primarily a tactical game, which it is. The bread & butter of the game is the tactical map and how you move your troops. And among people who know about the difference between strategy & tactics, it is considered a TBT and not a TBS.
The same holds true for other TBTs with unit management, like say Incubation, even though there are strategic elements, the main part of the game is the tactical part.

I said that it had elements of strategy, but that it is primarily a tactical game, which it is. The bread & butter of the game is the tactical map and how you move your troops. And among people who know about the difference between strategy & tactics, it is considered a TBT and not a TBS.
The same holds true for other TBTs with unit management, like say Incubation, even though there are strategic elements, the main part of the game is the tactical part.

I see.

http://pockettactics.com/2013/03/20/review-galactic-conflict/

"But can you do it here? I mean, really, can you physically do it? RTS games of this stripe require a certain amount of precision, and the question that Galactic Conflict continually brings to mind, without ever answering, is “Can mobile devices really handle the kind of APM-heavy monsters PC gamers love?” Here the screen, even zoomed out all the way, seems too close. The minimap is a joke when your opponent can only possibly have forces on one of, what, three or four planets? And, despite a rudimentary attempt at offering players the equivalent of hotkeys (that is, three of ‘em), troop movement via touch controls simply can’t offer any more precision than the ability to send everything to one spot. God help anyone who tries to play this on a phone."

Back
Top Bottom