KoA: Reckoning - IP Worth $20M?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Joystiq turned to analyst Michael Pachter for an estimate of the Amalur IP value should the company go under - $20M is the answer, apparently, although I'd take that with a massive grain of salt:
The value of 38 Studios' Amalur intellectual property is estimated to be in the range of $20 million. We asked Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter for his valuation following confirmation of layoffs at the studio and coverage of 38 Studios employees flocking to Turbine's recruitment drive in Providence last night.

"Nobody is buying MMOs after Star Wars fizzled. I think value is low, probably $20 million or so," Pachter said. "There is just no demand for game assets right now, as THQ proved when it tried to sell the Warhammer MMO. I think [Electronic Arts] could step in, since they are the publisher, so you might see some alternative way to get 38 some bridge financing."
More information.

EA would be smart to let the dry out, until they must file insolvency, and THEN buying the WHOLE IP ! Voilá !

"What do you have against us ? We basically SAVED them !"

If that IP is worth 20 million then I should be able to get at least 2 or 3 hundred thousand for my used car.

We would be better off having someone buy them who actually knows something about RPGs.

They made a dumbed down generic action rpg in a market that is flooded with them...shocked the game didn't sell that well. Honestly with all the marketing I kind of am.

reminds me when the Bankruptcy judge in New York gave the Wizardry boys $40k because this is what a 3rd party company said it was worth when Sir-Tek illegally sold the property (which they did not own) to Sir-Tek Canada. Werdna and Trebor were wanting $150k.

He probably thought facebook would be a good buy as well.

Combat model is mildly fun in a spasmodic, hypnotic and brainless sort of way. The story delivery is plain bad if you're over 8 years old, and you soon lose the motivation to thwack bad guys with your JRG-size hammer. Can't see the IP holding enough goodwill to generate $20m on name alone.

Back
Top Bottom