Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Released for PC

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The PC version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is available for download now. As reported previously the iPad and Mac versions are delayed somewhat.
Some issues are also already reported the most important being that there is no support for PCs with Intel Integrated Graphics.
To go with that announcement an updated cinematic trailer has been released.

More information.

Yep, it's the new intro sequence.

They pretty much kept the same "direction", but changed the CGI animation for 2D one. The rest animation is similar and looks a bit strange because the fire use realistic particle effects, but the "background" is painted 2D.

That new intro is much worse than the old one. The old one may not have been that well animated even for its time, but the new one cuts a Nietzche quote in the beginning, an important line from the victim and changes the sequence in other ways (none of them for the better).

Yeah, not sure whether I like what they did to it... Not that, like you mentioned, the original one was that great to begin with...

Show me the game. Not a qte. I want to see the game...

Definitely prefer the old intro. I wonder if the reason for it being subpar is that they didn't intend to do it originally (so didn't have much budget to allocate to it), but then realized they couldn't scale the original to the new resolutions without making it look like crap or only take up a tiny part of the screen (like with the widescreen mod)

Way too much is cut out of that intro, the reference to "others" that he can show Sarevok in order to save his skin alludes to the story and acts as....FORESHADOWING! Oh well, just a clip.

New one is a bit better, but yes, a bit amateurish (more so than the original cut scene, when it was new).

Edit: nah, changed my mind. Watched the original again and it's better. I can see how they wanted the new intro to be hi-res though.

The PC version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is available for download now. As reported previously the iPad and Mac versions are delayed somewhat.
Some issues are also already reported the most important being that there is no support for PCs with Intel Integrated Graphics.
To go with that announcement an updated cinematic trailer has been released.

More information.

does anyone have any information on this? I might be able to do something about this (fix it - literally) thanks to my new job. I've asked around and they are interested - this might be my personal project.

So far all I've seen is a message on the DDO forums (of all places) suggesting they downgrade their driver from DX10 to DX9 if they get a black screen.

edit: it appears the Beamdog page is saying the integrated card is not supported, but the forums say it could work (with some modifications) maybe but warns it would be slow.

Last edited:
That is quite simply appalling - looks like a school project piece. Done by 7 year olds. If that's 'enhanced' then the original must have been created in the 60's !

I tried to warn you guys, but I got the "Must be a Troll and Hater" treatment in seconds for daring to question the "value" of this.
And yeah the fact that the game does not run on Integrated Graphic Chips is retarded; mst of the people I know who wanted this EE where thinking of getting it for their Laptops

I got it working by disabling fullscreen mode to launch the game with an integrated Intel chip. After the game launches you can alt-enter back to FS and it runs well. I do have to change to windowed when I quit out though.

This intro confuses me... What's the point of 'enhancing' it if you're only going to make it look cheaper?

Resolution. The old one doesn't scale very well to higher resolutions.

Still, they really did leave out stuff from the intro, so I prefer the old one. However, there are other in-game "scenes" that actually work out well, such as the resting animation (camp fire).

The Beregost one seems simply missing though, so that's a bit.. odd.

The Beregost one seems simply missing though, so that's a bit.. odd.

I think Trent Oster said in a tweet that the "atmospheric" videos like the one when entering Beregost were removed completely because they "added nothing to the story."

The changes to (and removal of) the videos is by far my biggest complaint about BG:EE so far.

I tried to warn you guys, but I got the "Must be a Troll and Hater" treatment in seconds for daring to question the "value" of this.
And yeah the fact that the game does not run on Integrated Graphic Chips is retarded; mst of the people I know who wanted this EE where thinking of getting it for their Laptops

It runs on intefrated graphic chips. It doesn't support INTEL integrated graphic chips, which large numbers of games seem to have trouble with.

Back
Top Bottom