WHat is Fighting Fantasy?

They were/are a series of gamebooks released in the 80s still selling now I believe. There's even a wiki.

They are pretty cool on the ipad...I have only played a bit of the first one.

A lot of stuff is cool on the iPad, yet no one here seems to own one or like them and on sites like IGn and Gamefaqs its even worse. They think japanese systems like vita are better. Theyd rather play some anime rpg than avadon or baldurs gate on the iPad.

Creature of Havoc is one of the best (and most difficult) fighting fantasy books and would make a cool crpg.

A lot of stuff is cool on the iPad, yet no one here seems to own one or like them and on sites like IGn and Gamefaqs its even worse. They think japanese systems like vita are better. Theyd rather play some anime rpg than avadon or baldurs gate on the iPad.

Warlock of firetop mountain had a DS & PSP release...

Warlock of Firetop Mountain on the DS (its on the PSP too? neat) is a first person action RPG based on the gamebook. It's not an adaptation of the way the books are played, though. It's quite good and doesn't seem appropriate on the DS, it should have been a PC game or something.

And the best Fighting Fantasy books is the Sorcery! 4-book epic. Even if you can't handle the concept of playing a dice-book, nearly every second page is an illustration by John Blanche and that's worth it alone.

Yes, they're role-playing games. Fighting Fantasy was probably my first one-way ticket into discovering the possibilities for RPG's back in the late 80s. I've since gone on to collect the entire main series and are now working on Lone Wolf. (Another very popular UK gamebook series written by Joe Dever.)

There were also C64 game releases for Fighting Fantasies back in the day.
Forest of Doom, Citadel of Chaos, Rebel Planet, Seas of Blood...I think even Temple of Terror and Sword of the Samurai. So these adaptions are nothing new. ;)

When I was a kid, my friends and I were huge Fighting Fantasy fans. It was a big event when a new book would come out. I have extremely fond memories of playing them.

I'm not sure how well they would hold up today though. I keep meaning to try one out on the Iphone, I guess Creature of Havoc would be a good choice because I don't think that one ever made it to release here in the US. Sometimes they were just a little bit too random, and in many of the books you had no hope of winning if you didn't roll high on your starting stats.

Sometimes they were just a little bit too random, and in many of the books you had no hope of winning if you didn't roll high on your starting stats.

Indeed, that was a pretty major issue. And in some cases you would face enemies with maxed out stats (often near the end), so in case you got wounded along the way, your chances of actually winning against the final opponent was very low (and there was no skill involved from the players side, just dumb luck). Because of this, I would always cheat my way through combat, and just play them for their stories.

I think I just usually rerolled my stats until I got something I was happy with. If you happened to roll a 7 for skill then you really had no chance of winning in most books. Though there were some where you really could win no matter what your stats were.

Indeed, that was a pretty major issue. And in some cases you would face enemies with maxed out stats (often near the end), so in case you got wounded along the way, your chances of actually winning against the final opponent was very low (and there was no skill involved from the players side, just dumb luck). Because of this, I would always cheat my way through combat, and just play them for their stories.

Back
Top Bottom