11 days to Grimoire release. Yay.

Fighting … against … ennui rays … worse than kryptonite … must do productive work … on 15 year old game … which has brought me to … brink of madness … surely I cannot be far from completing … this horrible nightmare … finally coming to an end …

GREAT SCOTT!!! … Is this how it ends for the Man of Steel?

Things are … really looking up … I think I can see a single ray of light in all this … yes, I'm almost there … I know this will turn out well …

lol, you're a living joke.

No, honestly, it was time to put an end to this farce.

Cleve, you're a faggot.

*sigh*

Let's save the Cleve insults for another day. The journey that is Grimoire is well-documented. Cleve's just got "overprotective parent disease" and can't get it thru his head that he could have (and probably should have) kicked his baby out of the nest a few years ago. It is what it is. The dead horse was pulped years ago. At this point, y'all are just pounding on the grass that grew up on the spot.

This is fun. Another trip around the sun. Maybe it's been a couple since I last checked in.

I actually think I would want to try the game.

Just zip it and post it.

Lets see what you got.

The problem is that this game only runs in an old IBM mainframe, and the program in written on punched cards, so it needs to be translated to modern languages (like Fortran or Cobol, it hasn't been decided which yet)

Silly wolfing, it's a VAX, not an IBM. ;)

He has until December 11th to make good on his promise. Any bets?

Silly wolfing, it's a VAX, not an IBM. ;)

Hey, I found a picture of the computer that Grimoire runs on!

electronic_computer.jpg

I'm still debating whether to be insulted, since FORTRAN was a required course for engineers back in my day... Lovingly taught by a 5-time winner of the Purple Shaft Award to boot. :p

Actually FORTRAN is still the fastest language used for heavy numerical analysis.... and a lot faster than C++.......

How many people think Tactica will be released before Grimoire BTW ?

Assembler code is the fastest. Some may argue whether it's a language, though. Ah, the memories…;)

We were just discussing this today. I work on compilers and back 20-some years ago the people who wrote system code who use our compilers were sure they could write better code than the compilers could produce. Now they hate having to do it because the compiler produces better code. So HAH! to you.

Define "better". I bet a human can still write better code than a compiler. Of course, it depends on the particular human and the the particular compiler...

Define "better". I bet a human can still write better code than a compiler. Of course, it depends on the particular human and the the particular compiler…

Better == Faster and/or Smaller

And also more efficient in producing it. The cost of something like a modern OS entirely in assembler would be so prohibitive as to be effectively impossible.

LMAO, now I've seen everything. Grimoire morphs into compiler vs human discussion :D Gotta love how this game brings about the weirdest topics ;)

I would say for a small piece of code (up to 100 lines) I am better than any compiler in pure assembler. For greater projects compilers are more efficient and can do all the optimizing grind jobs, that I am having no time for nowadays.

The last computer systems that I programmed in assembler with greater source codes were the C64 and the Amiga.

I would say for a small piece of code (up to 100 lines) I am better than any compiler in pure assembler. For greater projects compilers are more efficient and can do all the optimizing grind jobs, that I am having no time for nowadays.

The last computer systems that I programmed in assembler with greater source codes were the C64 and the Amiga.
10 print "Grimoire will be ready next year!"
20 sleep 1 year
30 goto 10
40 print "Grimoire is ready!!!!"

10 print "Grimoire will be ready next year!"
20 sleep 1 year
25 if Grimoire is done then goto 40
30 goto 10
40 print "Grimoire is ready!!!!"
50 hard drive failure
60 if no backup then suicide ;)

Given enough time, I'd say a human can always do better than a compiler.

Given enough time, 100 monkeys would be better too! Maybe we should make a collection and send Cleve some monkeys?

GG: You will have to make and break several release date announcements for Tactica, currently you are simply not in the same league, comparisons are obsolete :)

Back
Top Bottom