so many mmorpg's, so little time

Trollsbane

Traveler
It's amazing how many mmorpg's are out there now. Impossible to play them all in one lifetime. I myself have played Anarchy Online, WoW, a bit of Silkroad Online and Eve, and am now actively playing Runescape. And so many more out there, so the question is not are we gonna run out of mmorpg's to play, but how will we ever try them all?

I've also seen a bunch more just from browsing around the internet. It's gotten to the point where I'm not even really concerned about the graphics anymore. It's all about the storyline and how interesting the particular mmo world is that I'm in at the moment. Power-leveling is not even really on my mind when I get into a new game because time always takes care of that.

I'm sort of trolling for other people's thoughts and comments on the matter. What does everyone here think of the proliferation of mmorpg's in the last few years? Is it good or bad? Will there be a shakedown/weeding out of most of them or will the market grow to accomodate them all? And the questions go on...

Many MMORPGs are scaled to be profitable with only a few 10k subscribers. The investment for them is not higher than for SP games with good production values. And if such a game becomes a hit the owner of the IP prints money for years.

So yes, 50% of the upcoming MMOs will be flops. But the rest will be more or less profitable. At the same time the technology gets more mature. I don´t see the number of MMOs shrinking.

Pretty much what Gorath said. To me it also seems like the MMO market is a growing market. It's true you cannot play them all, but then again so far there were only one or two market leaders. Given the development cycles of MMOs I don't see that changing in the future. It will be very interesting to see which impact games like AoC and WOAoR will have on WoW.

I think that as more big name developers get involved with MMOs (Bioware) the market will certainly grow as they bring their fan base to the genre. I don't think there was thought to even be as many customers than Blizzard have subscribers before WoW. They'll start appearing on consoles now that Funcom are developing Conan for Xbox 360 and the SOE Sony merge to bring titles to the PS3.

They'll start appearing on consoles now that Funcom are developing Conan for Xbox 360 and the SOE Sony merge to bring titles to the PS3.
Hehe, yeah... pvp on consoles - let's just hope you'll get a free mouse if you buy the game.

There is gonna be MMOs coming out of the woodworks for the forseeable future. There will be many more because they cant be pirated and they are based on subscriptions, which means the devs get your money every month as long as you keep playing. The MMORPG is every publishers dream. Count on hundreds more new MMO announcements over the next 10 years. Im not kidding.

well, maybe not hundreds... but at least 15

Back
Top Bottom