GameBanshee + RPGWatch?

Ergonpandilus

The Preacher
I'm following both rpg sites, and basically both of them got the same news (90% of the time). I like the forums/comments and usability of RPGWatch, but GameBanshee's database rocks. So why not merge with GameBanshee as a one big RPG gaming site?

What kind of things prevent that from happen right now?

Apart from other reasons, maybe the fact that Banshee is a part of the Hearst empire, and as we learn from Deadwood, he was a one mean git.

Seriously though, I like the Watch the way it is, thank you.

And suddenly I got these dirty images within my head involving a miniature tower and a familiar banshee.

I'm following both rpg sites, and basically both of them got the same news (90% of the time). I like the forums/comments and usability of RPGWatch, but GameBanshee's database rocks. So why not merge with GameBanshee as a one big RPG gaming site?

What kind of things prevent that from happen right now?

What a random question. There are dozens of RPG sites around and that's the beauty of them: different content/tone/audience.

Why not ask: RPGWatch + RPGCodex? That would have been a funny post.

One of the main reasons is that the Watch is independent so as to keep the news, reviews, ect as being insights offered by seasoned gamers.

No pop-up ads is the second biggest one because it was founded after RPGDot was taken over and not only ads but long delays in getting approval from the main guys to fix, change, post, ect.

This site has only a handful of admins and one owner. Some stuff might take a little longer to implement change wise, but the decisions are made fast and no interference from lame office types who never played a game in their lives. ( At least they seemed that out of the loop to me. lol)

GB is NOT a volunteer site, this one is. People there actually get paid!! :)

I have been suspecting GB looks on this site to pickup their news… so that could be the reason!

I have been suspecting GB looks on this site to pickup their news… so that could be the reason!

Both ways. Both sites routinely scan the other site for news. Same with Watch & Codex. That's normal.

If you did the stats you would find it is more in the other direction, but as noted Dhruin and the gang do this in their spare time for free ... and really, all sites depend on each other to get news items.

For me the important thing isn't just the news - I can get that anywhere - it is the context and personal touch.

What a random question. There are dozens of RPG sites around and that's the beauty of them: different content/tone/audience.

Why not ask: RPGWatch + RPGCodex? That would have been a funny post.

The reason why I asked the question was the fact that the sites are so different and yet both are for same audience. GB is about archive/database and forum while Watch is about the news. Combined it would have been "perfect" IMO. RPGCodex is more like GB to me but I feel it a bit small circle's meeting room.

No need to get hostile though, it was just a question. ;)

PS. There is always AdBlock if you don't like the ads. ;D

Not sure if the other guys at GB have day jobs, but I do. That comes first. Second I grab some news, but not nearly as much as Dhruin. Still don't know how he finds so much :) Third comes content like screenshots, adding games, developers, publishers etc…. That gets moved to the back of the list. Fourth comes actually playing the games I own. That's not including time spent at home just doing normal stuff around the house.

If I just worked here then it would be great to just add content all day long, but I don't. Get rid of that 9 hours I'm at work and then all of a sudden you would have a lot more stuff here ;) I'm not saying that the guys at GB don't have day jobs. I'm just saying that we do. That's why you'll find that the content portion isn't as good as it could be. We could concentrate on that, but I always came here for the news. I'd prefer if we just keep trying to get the news and let Sorcerer's Place and GB have all the other stuff.

Last edited:
The reason why I asked the question was the fact that the sites are so different and yet both are for same audience. GB is about archive/database and forum while Watch is about the news. Combined it would have been "perfect" IMO. RPGCodex is more like GB to me but I feel it a bit small circle's meeting room.

No need to get hostile though, it was just a question. ;)

I wasn't hostile. *hug*

GameBanshee is a fantastic site and Jon and his team do an excellent job. However, one of the reasons we started RPGWatch was to re-gain our independence - and I don't see us wanting to change that. Be happy there are sites devoted to our hobby, even if they aren't individually perfect. ;)

If you did the stats you would find it is more in the other direction, but as noted Dhruin and the gang do this in their spare time for free … and really, all sites depend on each other to get news items.

Hmm, maybe more of the articles here should have GB as the source in that case? since RPGWatch ussually writes the sources of the news.. even if it is a secondary source...

I only go to GB when I'm desperate and there isn't much on the newspage. Not sure about Dhruin. I believe it's something similar. Although he has a much larger list of sites he checks.

I can tell you from experience that Dhruin is amazing. The amount of information he finds and then posts boggles my mind and I know for a fact he doesn't just rely on GB or even partly rely on them. This is time consuming to say the least and what he can do on a daily basis is really amazing.

Ive been part of each site at different times ( for the sake of continuity, I am going to call this site and rpgdot the same thing)
It sort of depends on which game you are trying out.

rpgdot was the capitol on the internet of both divine divinity AND of gothic when those were the best games out. Arx fatalis also.
There was some european invasion time of pc games I couldnt even tell you the year but i think something like 2005. Rpgdot was pretty hot at that time.
Gothic was sort of the best game ever really in its short little city state epoch. It had really cutting edge graphics and world design. If you want a yard stick gothic came out as a contemporary of nwn and morrowind. It was both more advanced and higher graphics.
Im sort of side tracking but back then I was sure the gothic team would have been rock stars by now.

Gamebanshee is absolutely superior in its file format, combining not just the discussion but where to get the patches for each game . Gamebanshee has the biggest forum on wizardry 8 and a few odd games.
So theyre both useful tools.

Last edited:
I think we'll keep it as it is ;)

Back
Top Bottom