RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - GOG - Refocus on Core Offering
View Single Post

November 30th, 2021, 20:54
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Their problem is that they do their job correctly: they offer a good solution to buy and play games with minimum hassle.

But it's not what people want today, they want a platform that sells game, plays them with overlays and screenshot features, that plays video of all sorts including broadcasts by the devs and other players, with chat, forums, achievements, trading cards, and who knows what else. Part of why I'm avoiding Steam whenever I can, it became a fat, ugly and distracting client.
I personally think it has more to do with comfort. People are used to steam and dislike buying from and dealing with another store. Just like people tend to buy stuff from the same stores over and over in general.

I mean, Epic gives away games to get new customers and it's still going very slow to get customers to spend money there.

I also believe young people and casual gamers have little knowledge about DRM and owning games (or movies/TV/music for that matter), so the customers who care are old timer gamers who still have time to play and who also care enough to often pay more. A tiny target demographic, I'd guess.

Edit: yeah the steam client is bloated. It's by far the slowest to start up and I use almost no extra features.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)