Bard's Tale I - The Classics Return

Believe me, it's not easy at all. It may be easier than the original game but it will still leave you crying.

My party looks similar to Hastar's, except I traded the hunter for a rogue. Always got to have a thief in the party!!

And I'm no fan of mages, but in this game you'll need them. Believe that.

What's the Hunter like? Is it basically a Ranger?

If you have the full party of 7, you can't have summons?

Correct. The seventh spot of a party is for either summons, monsters that join, or a party member. Can be a hard choice but I remember there are some sweet summoning spells later on like summon dragons. Also, some badass monsters can join.

I never played a hunter before but they look like a ranger. I would say you need 2 mages, 2 fighter types, a bard, and your choice for the 6th. Could also be your choice for the 7th.

Remember, you will be using one of your mages as a cleric in this game. When you change your mages class to become archmages then both the casters can cast heal spells.

There are heal spells spread out through all the caster classes it looks like. The hunter gets a critical hit ability that can crush your enemies.

Last edited:
I'm usually a one game at a time person but I can't decide what to play when I wake up. Bard's Tale or Gothic 3 :)

For anyone that owns Gothic 3 and not great at setting up mods check out this video to make the game fantastic and easy to install.

https://youtu.be/I5CY8TZxJbg

You really want to leave that seventh slot open for an additional creature in your party. I might not recall everything about the game, but I do remember that some of those creatures are well worth having in your squad.

Just installed this, but haven't had time to play much.

My brainstormed party:
Warrior
Hunter
Rogue
Bard
Magician
Conjurer

How are the melee abilities of the hunter/rogue/bard? My only concern about the above party is its a bit squishy.

Last edited:
I'm playing with nearly the same party, with one exception: In place of your Hunter I have a Paladin. I'm level 8 and until now this party rocks.

The bard songs in this game are amazing. For both buffs in combat and buffs outside of combat. I don't usually have bards but in Bard's Tale you almost need one.

Plus if I remember correctly, there are some amazing magical bard instruments in the game.

Bards are usually a pretty decent class in most games where they are offered, but in this product they are outstanding. You really want one in your squad, going without one isn't advised!!

The bard songs in this game are amazing. For both buffs in combat and buffs outside of combat. I don't usually have bards but in Bard's Tale you almost need one.

Plus if I remember correctly, there are some amazing magical bard instruments in the game.

Perhaps I'm misusing my bard, but I find I only use one song (the healing one) since songs last for so long and using another song replaces the previous one (they don't stack) or am I missing something? I'm only going around in the 4th level of the wine cellar currently.

They've already announced a patch with some tweaks and additional QoL improvements.

Audio
Fixes for a few enemy sounds

Gameplay
Magestaff not working
Conjurstaff not working
Ranged Attack option not showing up correctly
Poison check may have an issue (possibly resisted? But no message shown to the player)
Check traps and their triggerable status when levitating
Fix party monsters no longer cast positive buffs on enemies
Fix balancing issue with spell saves
Fix chance to hit/dodge with ranged attack
Stop Ybarra shield stacking with Ybarra armor
Fix the Dragon wand not being usable in combat

Graphics
Add an option for a larger 3D view for 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios
Fix some fading issues on the minmap edges

UI and Controls
Change teleports to be marked on the automap
add (N)ew order keyboard command back in
Add explanation about the rotating minimap, when you require the Compass spell
Add Invert mouse option
Add "Don’t pause on focus lost" option
Add delay to start of combat to avoid spamming 'A' key and advancing
Add ability to change equipped item in combat
Fix some grammatical errors around use of (A/AN) and proper nouns (Mangar)

Misc
Fix firehorn achievement
Fix volume changes not saving to profile

Perhaps I'm misusing my bard, but I find I only use one song (the healing one) since songs last for so long and using another song replaces the previous one (they don't stack) or am I missing something? I'm only going around in the 4th level of the wine cellar currently.

The bard can have one song up all the time. When you use songs in combat they don't get rid of your buff song. The song will last for the one combat then fade. Your original buff song will still be there.

I have the better AC song up mostly for now. My party is just lvl 4 though.

You really want to leave that seventh slot open for an additional creature in your party. I might not recall everything about the game, but I do remember that some of those creatures are well worth having in your squad.

Been having a blast with this game; brings back memories. They don't make unforgiving games like this anymore. It can be tough starting out, but worth the effort.

Starting out it's best to fill the 7th slot with a character you might want to develop later (I chose a Thief, although I probably should've went with a Hunter). That's because early game you really need an extra meat shield and it's too early for summons. Random creatures are a poor choice because they share XP, and I don't like sharing my hard earned experience with a temporary party member I'll probably end up killing.

My L1 party (ST,IQ,DX,CN,LK;HP,SP)
Note: don't overlook good starting HP/SP when rolling your characters!

Vindicator -- M-Human-Paladin (17,9,13,15,12; 28)
GabbyGale -- F-½Elf-Bard (15,14,16,14,12; 26)
StinkyFeet -- M-Dwarf-Monk (18,11,14,17,8; 28)
StickyFingers -- M-Hobbit-Rogue (10,10,18,12,17; 29)
Carver Payne -- M-Elf-Conjurer (12,16,16,11,11; 26,23)
Tw!sted S!ster -- F-Gnome-Conjurer (11,17,14,10,9; 28,23)
Waldo the Wise -- M-Gnome-Magician (16,17,14,9,9; 24,22)

Last edited:
So I broke down and made a party and got in a few fights so far. I love it so far. Can't remember if you need a thief in this game. I know you get a spell trapzap so going to try it without a thief.

Party:
Warrior
Paladin
Hunter
Bard
Magician
Conjurer

I left a spot open for summons and monsters that join. I forgot about that :)

That party will work fine for BT1 and 2. But it is actually mandatory to have a rogue in your party for a certain part of BT3 - however you can add and level one up without much of a hassle. There is a reason the title is "Thief of fate"

I'm a big fan of that armour class boosting dirge, it can permit your front guys to take one hell of a beating.

I started with that one, but then switched to the healing one and found it much better in practice in the long run. My party lasts a lot longer without having to go back to town to recharge mana.

Been having a blast with this game; brings back memories. They don't make unforgiving games like this anymore. It can be tough starting out, but worth the effort.

Starting out it's best to fill the 7th slot with a character you might want to develop later (I chose a Thief, although I probably should've went with a Hunter). That's because early game you really need an extra meat shield and it's too early for summons. Random creatures are a poor choice because they share XP, and I don't like sharing my hard earned experience with a temporary party member I'll probably end up killing.

My L1 party (ST,IQ,DX,CN,LK;HP,SP)
Note: don't overlook good starting HP/SP when rolling your characters!

Vindicator -- M-Human-Paladin (17,9,13,15,12; 28)
GabbyGale -- F-½Elf-Bard (15,14,16,14,12; 26)
StinkyFeet -- M-Dwarf-Monk (18,11,14,17,8; 28)
StickyFingers -- M-Hobbit-Rogue (10,10,18,12,17; 29)
Carver Payne -- M-Elf-Conjurer (12,16,16,11,11; 26,23)
Tw!sted S!ster -- F-Gnome-Conjurer (11,17,14,10,9; 28,23)
Waldo the Wise -- M-Gnome-Magician (16,17,14,9,9; 24,22)

Your party is almost identical to the one I'm planning on using, except that I haven't decided between a Warrior and a Paladin yet, and I'll have a Hunter instead of the Rogue.

I'm a little surprised that you'd have your Bard in the #2 slot. Is there any difference among the first 3 slots as far as how often they're targeted by enemies? In my short test run with the default party, it seemed like the #1 slot was being targeted the most by far, although that could have been purely coincidental.

With 7 characters, the first 4 can deal and take melee damage. I have them ordered based on AC, and my bard with scale armor and a tower shield is tied for lowest. It's easy to rearrange them, just drag and drop. Supposedly, the first character is targeted most often, the second a little less often, and so on, but it seems pretty random to me. My first character to die was my rogue in 4th position, despite having the most HP, highest LK, and highest DX. I'm beginning to wonder if failed hide-in-shadows attempts increase targeting priority; that would actually make sense.

So this was the first RPG I ever played so its got a little place in my heart so I had to play it this weekend. Just finished. I was surprised how much I remember vividly about the game. I could navigate Skara Brae from memory. The automap feature was good as was the journal in general but I really could have used the manual to refresh my memory on class details. I took a Rogue and I think their identify was probably the most useful thing about them.

Also the most painful part was having to reenter commands every turn. Its fine to do that for important battles but painful for simple ones. I ended up writing a script to autoselect common combat moves and then use the review to see if it was smart enough. Anyway, I liked the new Unity port overall as it was faithful to the original though it could have used a few more helper features like auto combat.

Back
Top Bottom