PoE2 Pillars of Eternity II - Deadfire - growing tired of it, any ideas ?

Pillars of Eternity II

Lannister

Watchdog
Hey People,

I really love isometric RPGs (BG, wasteland, Fallout, Torment, etc) and had a lot of fun with POE 1.... right now I am playing part 2 - Deadfire.... and i really find it to be some sort of chore...... I am level 12 and have the experience for leveling up 3 further levels, but somehow it doesn`t appeal to me.... i really grow tired of it, however I am sort of a completionist..... I don´t really dig this carribean / exotic setting..

Did anyone suffer from the same problem ? Any ideas on how to continue or to keep on hanging on ?

T´would be nice to hear your opinion.....

L.

Only advise I can give is to stop playing PoE 2 and play something else. Then at one point in the future either re-start or load your old save. That's how I finished both.

I also never finished the Original Sin games either. One day I probably will.

Last edited:
Cheers, Thank you for your fast reply.... I am kind of reluctant to dive into another game as I might not rememeber POE2´s story anymore when recontinuing..... but your are probably right.....

I don't think I was every bored while playing the second Pillars game. The first one yes, and quite often at that. With the second game I simply just kept exploring, it took me quite some time just to clear that whole map!!

I have nothing to say that will help you, but I want to comment anyway.

I am also a completionist, and I rarely 'finish' games.
I've come to learn that finishing the game isn't super important to me.
I love knowing there is more stuff out there I haven't discovered yet. Which is why I like large openworld style games, or isometric mammoths.
Its less important to me actually getting to the end, than knowing that I could keep playing and discovering if I wanted.

If I leave a save too long, I end up restarting with a new party, and I never quite mind :)

Going from one set of droll islands to the next with nary but a couple two minute detours on each island doesn't appeal to you? :D

My advice is play Kingmaker instead, fantastically more fun game if you're looking for exploration in the style of Baldur's Gate and character building comparable to Icewind Dale's 3.5 ruleset. Plus a lot more.

That's exactly what I did, @Drithius;. I put 100 hours into PoE 2 and never really had that much fun. The main quest was interesting but the rest? I didn't want to help any of the factions at all.

P.S. We've got a forum especially for Pillars and another for Kingmaker a bit further down the list.

Hey People, Thank you for your input..... I guess I`ll put POE aside.... do you think it would be wise to change the type of RPG (e.f. play Mass Effect Andromeda or Elex or Kingdom come) to escape the isometric Deadfire Tiredness.... ? Would IMHO make sense...

Hey People, Thank you for your input….. I guess I`ll put POE aside…. do you think it would be wise to change the type of RPG (e.f. play Mass Effect Andromeda or Elex or Kingdom come) to escape the isometric Deadfire Tiredness…. ? Would IMHO make sense…

I switch genres.
So Action or Strategy for TB-RPG, or something completely different like Factorio.

Not sure if this applies to you, because I'm a bit odd in this way, but if an RPG bores me I tend to drop gaming for awhile and do another hobby, like making music or watching TV. I always come back to gaming later but it happens very naturally, I get inspired again and game heavily for awhile. You may be burnt out like that and need a break, dunno. Hope you find comfort though in whatever you do.

The thing is, these kind of isometric baldurs-gate-like games are the ones I usually enjoy most, however this hopping from island to island, clearing that dungeon doing that faction quest, etc, etc...... It is really getting on my nerves.....
and I am kind of wondering what exactly is causing this

The thing is, these kind of isometric baldurs-gate-like games are the ones I usually enjoy most, however this hopping from island to island, clearing that dungeon doing that faction quest, etc, etc…… It is really getting on my nerves…..
and I am kind of wondering what exactly is causing this

Burn out? I've done one this year for the genre (iso party based games) and it was* my favorite genre. I moved to play Deus Ex Mankind Divided (not as a pacifist) as a way to cleanse myself.

Currently trying to play Pathfinder Kingmaker and I don't think I'm cured of it yet.

Saying that, Deadfire is easy to end once you can reach Magran's Teeth without 100% it.

*seems my taste changed or I'm really not in the mood for those these days.

THank you all for your suggestions:

You are probably right that I should change the subgenre....

I have a huge backlog, and i am thinking of playing either :
Assassins Creed Odyssey
Elex
Disco Elysium
Kingdom Come deliverance
Mass Effect Andromeda
Demonicon
The SInking City
The Technomancer
The Outer World
LA Noire

Which one would you suggest, I am kind of undecided.. I am tinking about Mass Effect as it also is Scifi so thats very different from Deadfire....

Thank you for your input / suggestions....

I would give Elex a try. Great exploration and I enjoyed the character advancement. The rocket pack was an extra layer of exploration. The game is like a sci fi Gothic. All the factions are kinda dicks in the game, so that was my only downside.

I like your Avatar. Still wish Jamie and Ned would have had a fair fight. ;)

I vote for Sinking City or LA Noire if you are also burn out of RPGs and not just "isometric" party based one.

MEA, Elex, The Outer Worlds or Technomancer if you are just tired of medieval-y setting and like scifi.

Assassin Creed Odyssey is a strange game to me. I don't hate anything about it, but it failed to grab me.

Disco Elysium could be different but it's also "isometric".

Saying that, I started playing The Outer Worlds yesterday and I'm having a blast so far.

I grew tired of Eternity 2 the moment I saw reset character on returned companions. Then it slapped you with abuse of the giant statue from the first game and neglect of the stronghold statue that somehow reappeared on the ship. Etc.

The tiredness didn't stop me from finishing the game though but I won't be dancing happily if they announce Eternity 3. Don't want to see reused stuff in a wrong way again.

The idea is don't play anything for a few days. If you do, you'll never return to it.

I'm burned out on these isometric games. Plus, I dislike all the fake language stuff they used. And some of the maps are pointlessly confusing. I didn't really like this game, but it was better than the first one.

I play multiple games parallel, and finish or get very far through most games I play. I think playing a game every three days or so and playing something else in between prevents me from getting tired of games.

what i don`t understand is that BG really had this P&P vibe, I was really drawn into it…. POE seems sterile, everything seems so "constructed"……. as if someone tried to make it seem clearly different to standard BG-like fantasy "on purpose"...... like "trying too hard".....

I still haven`t played Pathfinder Kingmaker, so I really hope that this one is better than POE in the future….

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom