Blackguards - Win an Early Access Deluxe Edition @RPGWatch!

Turn based is better than real time cause you have all the time in the world to think. Great for patient players but slows gameplay down a little.

I think turn-based tends to be better because players can plan and execute a strategy... It also permits the player to have full control over multiple characters, rather than relying on AI / indirect commands for any allies or companions.

turn based is superior when done correctly because it allows the player to make strategic decisions without being punished for not being able to manage everything in a real-time-with-pause system where if you pause too late it can mean the difference between success and failure.

Ironically, I think turn-based combat gets more exciting and addicting the longer you play, while twitch combat gets boring in longer stretches.

There are many advantages for TB combat for a cRPG. Some of them are:

Character Skill vs Player Skill: I feel this is the most important quality to look for in a cRPG. In Turn Based combat, reaction time and "twitch" reflexes cannot compensate for the drawbacks of a character build. In Real Time combat, reflexes of the player can override limitations of the in-game character and hence dilute roleplaying. A prime example of this is dodging/evasion.

Fairness : Turn Based gives no inherent possible unfair adavantage to the AI. In Real Time combat the AI can "cheat" by relying on data/inputs which would not be symmetrically known to the player. Since time in the form of turns (and usually space too in the form of grids) is discretized in Turn Based, the Player and AI are on a more even footing mechanically as the impossible reactions of the AI in real time is not possible.

Balancing: In a Turn Based encounter, the designer has more complete data on possible player actions in a given situation. The designer does not have to take into account the varying levels of Player "twitch" skill while balancing various facets of the encounter.

Tactical Challenge: The designer having more information about possible player actions in a given situation, can up the level of tactical challenge in an encounter. This can be achieved by emphasis on terrain effects, positioning and synergy between different abilities. Since Turn Based is lot more focused than Real Time, the player can also be given a lot more options in a specific combat situation, without overwhelming the player with multitude of options to be frantically selected in real time.

Last edited:
Turn based allows for more contemplation of all the strategic elements and effects of your decisions. It makes the game more about your mind and less about the speed of your reactions. It promotes drilling down into the nuances of the game and it's rules and as a result, the game designers pay a lot more attention to that part of the game.

Overall, this just makes for a more enjoyable, rewarding and challenging game!

Turn based allows for intricate and tightly coordinated tactics with a party of characters. Real time doesn't allow for it to the same extent.

Last edited:
Because when - in the middle of a healthy bloodshed - you realise you left your tasty beer on the kitchen counter, you don't have to make a tough choice between bad and greater bad.

TB Combat done well gives you time to think and you have more options then just react. You can think of tactics and strategys and use them properly. You can take all the time you need and you need to understand the underlying mechanics, so you can build up your characters. Often positioning of your characters matters. It is just more satisfying for me then real time combat is.

turn-based combat is better because i like it more then real-time combat (and i do like the idea to test Blackguards for free)

I can change a diaper or break up a fight or get a snack for one of my two babies without coming back to the Game Over screen.

Why is turn-based combat better than real-time combat?

Because it can never stop me from making my girlfriend happy. She loves it, I love it.... Honey, wait for me! ;)

All of my favorite RPGs are Turn Based, they're not trying to hide a weak story and a bad character system behind moments of intense clicking. Frenetic clicking is no replacement for a great character system and deep tactics.

So, pretty much what everyone else has already said...

Why is turn-based combat better than real-time combat?

It allows for a better coordination of your team in combat, but i don't see the point of it if u don't have a party based game.

Turn based allows you the leisure of taking your time making strategic/tactical decisions and movements, making for potentially more relaxed gameplay.

I'm not entering the contest but I think that the prize should go to one of the guys who had the courage to admit that they are slow pokes. The rest are just lying :)

Who said we have only one copy? ;)

Hookay, give it to all slow pokes than :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom