Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Review @ Niche Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Niche Gamer checked out Valkyria Chronicles 4:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Review – Waifus, Shiba Inu, and Warfare

The original Valkyria Chronicles was one of my favorite games of 2008. It featured a great setting that combined alternate, low-fantasy military history with animu, a huge cast of loveable characters, and an extremely unique combat system that mixed traditional SRPG elements with a pseudo-third-person shooter. As much as I loved the original, I must admit that I never played the sequels or spin-offs, primarily because they were limited to handhelds that I didn’t own. But finally, after roughly a decade of waiting, Valkyria Chronicles has received a new mainline entry on consoles. In many ways, Valkyria Chronicles 4 feels like a reboot designed to return to it’s roots, and while I feel it sticks a little too close to the first game’s formula, read on why to find out why the result is still an excellent strategy RPG well worth your attention.

[...]

The Verdict: 9

The Good:

• Massive cast of well-developed and charming characters, including some top-tier waifu material
  • Interesting setting that blends animu nonsense with real-world history
  • The unique and fun BLiTZ combat system finally makes its return to consoles and PC
  • The CANVAS engine looks as beautiful as ever on current generation hardware
  • Close to 70 hours of content if you choose to go after everything (and you should)
  • Solid pacing in both the story and introduction of mechanics
The Bad:

• A tad bit formulaic as far as sequels go
  • Many issues that have been around since the first game return, including Scout Rush and pathfinding problems
  • The upgrades remain a little bit on the boring side, especially the armor and secondary weapons.
More information.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 was really nice for its map exploring, the guns, the tanks, the sneaking in high grass and sniping enemies. There was story, nice cutscenes and original maps that felt different and required new tactics most of the time. Basically lots of unique content that prevented me to guess the next move (map) and I couldn't "get" the whole game at 50% or less gameplay time to never finish it because it became boring predictable: this never happened. The ending was satisfying and the whole effort for going through the story felt job well done.

People claim VC4 is better than VC3 in all regards. One day after they release the full game I will know the truth of this claim from a personal experience.

Valkyria Chronicles 3
Never saw it on Steam. And if something isn't available on PC… It's either under a contract as indefinite exclusive on inferior hardware (Nintendo and Sony) or it's porting would be a silly move as it wouldn't sell being a bad game. :)

On topic, this review is… Likeable. :)
I wouldn't call scout rush it's bad side - my understanding is it's deliberate mechanics to spam over skirmishes fast (XP and money) when a player feels the crew isn't as good as should be in the current mission. Also, it's a missed point, in VC4 scoutrush is pretty much "outdated", after a few initial missions shocktroopers and armored vehicle rushes are more effective. ;)
With upgrades I have to agree partially. See… Without grenadier secondary weapon upgrade, some missions are impossible to ace and in a certain one you'd get stuck. ;)

What's bad and isn't listed above is imperials' special weapons. A bit more damage than your "ordinary" equipment, but with bad aim and low range. Those IMO should be more useful as quite a few are not easy to find and get, instead of acting as collecting pokemon.

Last edited:
I have VC on steam but never played it. Is it really good and worth playing?

OMG
Stop playing whatever you're currently playing and do VC immediately!

Okay okay, don't stop playing, finish that game and put VC next in the line. That game is a must!
After you're done with it, it'll change your prejudices on jrpg and you'll, just like me, start avoiding using jrpg as description for filler garbage. See, not only in VC trashmobs don't respawn endlessly (apart from specific mission objectives like camps, but once you overtake those trashmobs can't appear on them), you may save anywhere (when it's your turn)!
The only thing VC (and VC4) doesn't have is choices. The story is linear and you cannot choose who to sacrifice or love. Because of that, it's a nearmasterpiece.

Note: Menus are a bit annoying in VC1. In VC4 they've fixed it! Outside of that the game plays as if it was planned for k+m initially. :D

If you can stomach the extremely Japanese style of the art and dialogue. I managed to finish the first game, and while it was ok, it's not something I would ever go back to.

Oh forgot, thanks for reminding me on it JDR.

Use japanese voiceovers! Do not, even if someone if lifethreatening you, do not use dubs in VC1. It's a disgrace how bad they're made.
Apparently it got fixed in VC4 but I'm playing with original audio again so can't confirm that.

If you own the original VC for the computer and have yet to play it, do yourself a huge favour and load that sucker up today. You'll thank all of us later for telling you to do so, trust me!

Back
Top Bottom