Baldur's Gate 3 - Top Changes we want @ Fextralife

Hmm.. what do I want to see...a full release this year if possible.:p

1) Increase party size to 6 characters
2) Allow to take 10 on skill rolls
3) Teach enemy AI to counter full party stealth sniping

6 is too many for a game like this anyways imo. Some of the combat encounters already drag out kind of long as it is.

-Jumping should be more realistic, as is, it trivalises combat rules as you can jump past threats. Rope and grappel should replace jumping for hard to reach spots.
-I want to see a bespoke spellbook UI for my spells. I would like to be able to tell at a glance a lvl 1 spell or whatever. It should not be cluttered up by items and actions being in the same area. As is I have to go to another screen to see what the spell is about.
-I want the music to not sound like divinity and to be more inspired by Conan.
-I want to be able to bring up the map and click a location on it to have my party travel there. Not instantaneously of course.

-Jumping should be more realistic, as is, it trivalises combat rules as you can jump past threats.

Jumping seems slightly overpowered, I agree. I don't think we should be able to use it in such a way and attack in the same turn.

6 is too many for a game like this anyways imo. Some of the combat encounters already drag out kind of long as it is.

Though I'm not following BG3 closely, I second that. If they increase our party size to 6, they'll rebalance the whole game by also increasing the number of opponents we face on encounters.

Last edited:
Ugg I would hate 6. TB combat is long enough and I got used to it in BG3 but adding in 6 people would just drag it out needlessly.

My main wish is to see a full release of the game in 2020 [EDIT: meant 2021] and that they don't dumb it down too much. Also that they don't change companions too much because people couldn't handle not having the companions kiss their feet all the time.

Last edited:
I hope party will stay at 4 as I think it's the ideal party size for TB games, especially when each character has so many tools at their disposal. If it was a XCom kind of game where you can just either move or shoot, then up to 8 is normally bearable.

I don't know many details of the game as I'm keeping myself spoiler free but what I do hope is that they do what they think is best, and heavily filter feedback. People often don't know what they want for themselves, and games are obligated to create mechanisms to prevent them from burning themselves out in one or another way. As professionals of the industry, it's their job to make design choices, not to ask the masses what they want and do it, because that will not go well.

So I wait patiently for the full release of what I think may be a great game, but I know it has very little chances to meet the expectations of most. That is something I can live with as long as the game is fun and memorable.

Aye think aye would prefer four characters with two ayes each. Aye hope they implement this before aye play it ;) This wink only has one aye.

1) Well, I'll offer an alternative viewpoint. Four characters in a D&D game is too few and is plainly insulting to me coming from a Goldbox background. I certainly wouldn't care if the combat is longer providing if it were sufficiently tweaked to be more dynamic; with more options and more possible party compositions as a result.
To differentiate itself properly from the likes of Dragon Age Origins and Original Sin, I really think it needs the option of six characters to be more in line with Baldurs Gate tradition. Changing the fixed party nonsense after Act I should also be reconsidered to enable greater player choice; also in line with Baldur's Gate tradition.

2) Greater, stronger, more obvious connections to the original games. Whether that be companions, locations, music - I think a greater emphasis on making the game feel like Baldur's Gate is necessary. Admittedly we haven't seen the city yet, so it'lll be very interesting what the act 2 content will be like.

3) Memorable Dungeons. (Durlag's Tower, Watcher's Keep etc) Aye, it's EA, so it's still very early days yet. But this is something BG is well known for and is a vital ingredient for a quality Baldur's Gate experience. Also, what's with encountering the Underdark at such a low level? Doesn't strike me as particularly suitable given its dangers and how it appears in BG2.

4) More companions. Obviously it'll be interesting to see what Larian's take on Minsc will be. Pity we don't get Xan or Edwin too though. I know there's already a big datamining thread on the official forums that has already delved into exactly who the additional companions are.

5) A real-time with pause toggle for the fans of this combat system. The reverse was possible for Obsidian when they implemented a turn based mode for PoE2. I wonder how conceivable this would be for Larian to create? It certainly would help those who don't like the longer drawn out combat encounters.

5) A real-time with pause toggle for the fans of this combat system. The reverse was possible for Obsidian when they implemented a turn based mode for PoE2. I wonder how conceivable this would be for Larian to create? It certainly would help those who don't like the longer drawn out combat encounters.

I don't agree with all of your points, but a RTwP option would be awesome. Unfortunately, I also think it's the least likely to happen. (Along with having more than 4 characters).

To come back on the video, I was a bit surprised by what he suggested (well, not too surprised actually, the recent reviews disappointed me a little bit).

Do you also feel the companions are cliché? They have a personality, if that's what he meant, so I'm not sure how they'd change that. Make them even more eccentric?

I also liked the idea of randomly generated dungeons</irony> :p Well, I suppose all sorts of crazy ideas float around.

EDIT: there are threads of hundreds of posts on how BG3 should have 4, 5 or 6 characters :lol: That's a matter people just can't agree on.

Last edited:
One word mod tools. Even Larian looks forward to seeing what modders do.
“I can imagine that we will never manage to find the balance that will please everyone,” says Vincke. But, there is a (sort of) solution: “The game will be moddable eventually, so people will be able to make their mods. I expect multiple flavors of Baldur’s Gate 3 to come out of that. Over time there will be probably a flavor that will appeal hopefully to everybody.”

Back
Top Bottom