Weird West - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Immersive sim Weird West has been announced by WolfEye Studios.

Survive and unveil the mysteries of the Weird West through the intertwined destinies of its unusual heroes in an immersive sim from the co-creators of Dishonored and Prey.

Discover a dark fantasy reimagining of the Wild West where lawmen and gunslingers share the frontier with fantastical creatures. Journey through the origin stories of a group of atypical heroes, written into legend by the decisions you make in an unforgiving land. Each journey is unique and tailored to the actions taken - a series of high stakes stories where everything counts and the world reacts to the choices you make. Form a posse or venture forth alone into an otherworldly confines of the Weird West and make each legend your own.
More information.

Brilliant premise. There was a giant hole in the gaming world for wild west games mixed with fantasy. This one is sounding good, will keep an eye on it.

Yeah still a little early to be excited but I'm intrigued.

At least it isn't another indie Turn-based game.:p

Last edited:
Weird West? I'd certainly pay for a decent Deadlands game (unlike the one they did all those years ago...). But this seems to be unconnected, right? Wonder if it'll feel anything like what I'd be hoping for.

The best RPGs I've played so far have something unique about them instead of just trying to copy some old classic. This one looks very unique. I'm curious how it will turn out.

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! I've been hankering for a wild (or weird) west CRPG for a mighty long time. Hard West came close but of course wasn't a full fledged RPG & a conglomeration of scenarios rather than one fluid story. So this might be something I'll give a shot even if action RPGs ain't normally my cup of whiskey.

Er, I don't think this is even turn-based. Where did that come from? Steam tag says "action". Might still be okay, though.

If it's not first person perspective then it can't be immersive

They don't have to be first person but usually are because of who started the genre.
An immersive sim (simulation) is a video game genre that emphasizes player choice. Its core, defining trait is the use of simulated systems that respond to a variety of player actions which, combined with a comparatively broad array of player abilities, allow the game to support varied and creative solutions to problems, as well as emergent gameplay beyond what has been explicitly designed by the developer. This definition is not to be confused with game systems which allow player choice in a confined sense or systems which allow players to easily escape consequences of their choices.

Immersive sims by definition allow for multiple approaches, and typically incorporate elements of multiple genres, including role-playing games, stealth, first-person shooters, platform games and survival horror. Although they typically have smaller worlds than open world games, they also generally allow for open-ended gameplay, allowing the player to progress in any order and pursue side missions alongside any main story missions. Immersive sims are generally compared to games developed by Looking Glass Studios. The first such game generally considered an immersive sim is Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, and other examples include Thief and Thief 2, System Shock and System Shock 2, as well as the first Deus Ex.

The term "immersive sim" may also be used to describe the game design philosophy behind the immersive sim genre, which uses interacting, reactive and consistent game systems to create emergent gameplay and a sense of player agency.

Wrong.

This looks quite interesting and has a strong pedigree. Definitely on the watch list and thankfull not turn based. Turn based is in my opinion, NOT better. Both systems have plusses and minuses.

Back
Top Bottom