[SPOILERS] Star Wars Films - Do You Prefer Prequels or Sequels?

Which post-OT Movie Trilogy do you prefer?

• Prequel Trilogy (1999-2005)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Sequel Trilogy (2015-2019)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Star Wars Ended in 1983 For Me

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Fine you guys really want to hear it. Well then Kathleen Kennedy is a two bit hack who pushed her agenda and ruined the entire franchise. She back-stabbed Lucas.

Frankly I cant stand Ray to me she is nothing but a Mary Sue. The entire plot of the three new movies is so convoluted it basically ruined the original Saga in the end.

So burn in hell Kathleen Kennedy, J. J. Abrams, Rian Johnson, and everyone who works for Disney. I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few and they can join them as well.

It's not surprising that Lucas did not show up at the world premiere.

PS: I tuned it down and this a tame version for what I really want to write.

Last edited:
The prequels were better, and I don't think it's really even close.

I disliked them a lot at the time, and I still think they're vastly inferior to the OT, but they're actually decent when you compare them to the sequel trilogy.

Has the much lauded JJ Abrams ever done anything worth watching

He ruined Star Trek, he ruined Star Wars
He´ll probably get a shot at Babylon 5 soon

giphy.gif

Liked the first two films, don't really care about any of the others. For me, the series ended with Empire. All things being equal, I'm more of a Star Trek fan, and I mean real Trek, not the current Disaster and Bad Reboots versions. I'll check out the Picard show but I fully expect to be very disappointed in that one as well.

I have enjoyed every Star Trek show to some degree, many very much. Even the bad movies, even Voyager. But the current show, Discovery, I can't stand it. I tried when it started, and I tried again with season 2. Star Trek has been many different things but it has always felt like Star Trek... until Discovery. And the cast is one of the most unlikeable ever assembled.

Isn´t Discovery just an effort to do Abrams Trek as a series and replace all story with explosions

Which to return to the subject more or less sums up what I thought of the latest SW film

Last edited:
See I quite liked the first 2 Stark Trek movies tbh. They were trashy, bubblegum films, but with that said they were still fun films in themselves. But I'm also no Star Trek fan either, so what they did to the originals didn't bother me.

With that in mind, the big difference between Stark Trek & Star Wars for me is that Star Trek detached itself enough from the originals so it did minimal damage anyway. The only real connection was Spock, but the original crew & series were left as they were, and this was a clear reboot along another timeline. Whereas in Star Wars JJ dragged every character, all they'd ever fought for, and all we loved through the mud then killed it all. No-one's gone and undermined Kirk's victories or heroism, that still exists along another timeline. Whereas everything Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie and even Vader fought for is totally null and void thanks to JJ & Johnson. In the Star Trek universe nothing the heroes did had been undone in that timeline.

Why the original trilogy was most loved: Because they were made by Lucas who at the time had everything to lose. That's when you do your best work.

Episode 1 to 3. Mistakes were made. A much bigger budget and freedom makes for some lazyness, but it was still Lucas, and still had the Star Wars magic. We saw the same thing with Peter Jackson and LOTR vs The Hobbit.

Spoiler tags for the latest movies, just in case?

Episode 7: Was a great promising start for Disney's acquisition. JJ was kind of the same position as Lucas making the original trilogy (sometimes the best work is made under pressure). Probably some of his best work, knowing everyone was wondering if he'd make it or break it. It left everyone excited and asking questions and speculating.

Rogue One: Beautiful film-making. The proper way to make a non-series Star Wars movie. Maybe if they one day replace the uncanny valley appearance of Princess Leia, attach it to Episode 4 to make it a four hour movie. Darth Vader finally got his epic scene, showing why he was so feared and respected in the empire. Disney made a good decision to greenlight the ending. This is also a good example of introducing characters that actually having meaning in the story, and not just introducing them for the sake of it.

Episode 8: A great entertaining sci-fi movie. A really shitty Star Wars movie. The only saving grace was Mark Hamill did the absolute best with what he had to work with. After this was over, the big question people had was if Rian was pronounced "Ree-Anne" or "Rye-Anne" so they'd know who to unload their expletives at.

Episode 9: This was a 4 hour movie packed into 2 hours. And actually more like a 6 hour movie packed into 2 hours because characters were introduced that had no fucking business being there. They were pointlessly added for... who the fuck knows. Diversity? The first half of the movie was completely ADHD, and the movie didn't know when to just shut up and let the audience absorb the moments. The sad thing is, I could see where Abrams was going with this. The actual structure of the plot was very promising. And the ending was actually not bad. What should have happened, was what Jackson did with LOTR. Make all 3 movies at once with the same director, and then release them once a year.

Thankfully Favreau was able to give us some surgical ER triage in the form of The Mandalorian.

Recommendation for Disney: Do what Netflix did. Hire Lauren Schmidt Hissrich who did The Witcher series, and have her create Knights of the Old Republic for Disney Plus, and get Cavill to play Revan.

Concerning Discovery I think I gave up after the two first episodes perhaps it get better

I hated the mushroom drive and i hate the trend in contemporary sci-fi where the heroes can travel anywhere instantly I feel that a spaceship based story should at least in part be about the travels and not just magically appearing instantly at different set-pieces

Fine you guys really want to hear it. Well then Kathleen Kennedy is a two bit hack who pushed her agenda and ruined the entire franchise. She back-stabbed Lucas.

Frankly I cant stand Ray to me she is nothing but a Mary Sue. The entire plot of the three new movies is so convoluted it basically ruined the original Saga in the end.

So burn in hell Kathleen Kennedy, J. J. Abrams, Rian Johnson, and everyone who works for Disney. I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few and they can join them as well.

It's not surprising that Lucas did not show up at the world premiere.

PS: I tuned it down and this a tame version for what I really want to write.

Agreed, and I'm usually one to take a stand against people shouting "SJW agenda!". I won't blacklist everyone who works for Disney, since I actually think most of the Marvel movies are great. The Star Wars movies? Not so much.

I did watch all of series one of Discovery, and that's when a mate told me that they stole the entire concept of the spoor-drive thingie from someone who'd made a video game using the exact same premise. There was even a lawsuit brought against them because of the out-right theft, but I suspect those CBS weasel's got away with it. After learning about that though, I decided not to watch anymore and to make sure all my friend were aware of what was up. It certainly helped that the show was utter trash, and not worth viewing.

Can I ask you fine people another question in addition to the OP's:

How bad does a series you like have to get before you stop following it?

I mean, we've had eight pretty rubbish Star Wars films come out since the series ended in 1983 and the cycle of hating on the new one and retconning to 'like' previous shit episodes as a means to attack the new one is kinda tiresome?

What's your limit? How shit is "give-up already" shit?

I mean, we've had eight pretty rubbish Star Wars films come out since the series ended in 1983 and the cycle of hating on the new one and retconning to 'like' previous shit episodes as a means to attack the new one is kinda tiresome?

I don't think I'll ever "give up" on the Star Wars universe, I've just learned to keep my expectations down. If ever in doubt, I'll just rewatch the originals and replay KOTOR.

I'm in the same boat as several others in the thread:

The OT is certainly by far the best, and the PT is a fair bit better than the ST. The PT starts off poorly with TPM, which is probably still my least favorite Star Wars movie, but quickly surpasses the ST with AotC and RotS.

As for when I give up: Never. Not fully. There's a good chance I won't go to the cinema to watch new movies, however. And I'm not buying as much SW junk, blu-rays and what not as I used to.

The question is fair but the answer is just the same as with Gamebryo. How many more bug-o-ramas one can accept before refusing to buy another?

But the better question would be how many more turds Disney is planning to shove at the market? Remember when delusional Disney CEO said Solo flopped because of too many SW movies instead of actually watching it and seeing how much it sux.
Then again, Solo's target audience were imbecilles (medically speaking) and that CEO might be one who finds Solo fun. Here's hope Disney will realize SW audience aren't idiots.

This is my guide for giving up on television shows or films: If I find myself reaching for a book, I'm done. And honestly, I find that happening more and more these days. I might give another episode a shot, if friends say it improves, but even that is rare these days. Once I lay hands on a book, that is that, for the most part.

I went to the Star Wars films more or less on autopilot because my family members figured it was something I'd be into, and they would always ask me if I wanted to go. And I'd think back to when I was 11 or whatever and geninuely into them, and think sure, why not.

The most recent movie is the first one where, when I looked into myself for an iota of give-a-shit, I didn't find any. So I didn't go. I also didn't go to or see Solo. So apparently I've now hit that point.

Then Star Wars: Jar Jar Binks appeared. I was utterly disappointed. Thanks to videogames I hoped we'll see a trilogy about "distant" past. Revan's crusade, Bane's rule of two or something that was intriguing to me. But no, the movie went Vader's origin and stupid spielbergian family&friends nonsense which I never cared about.
So I didn't watch Attack of the Clones (2) nor Revenge of the Sith (3). Never will.

Wanted to clarify this one a little bit to understand ... you claim that the video games that existed prior to the 1999 release of The Phantom Menace had raised your hopes about a ‘Old Republic’ era movie series?

The problem with that line of reasoning for me? KotOR - the FIRST Star Wars Old Republic game - was released in 2003, by which time we’d already gotten Phantom Menace AND Attack of the Clones.

Help me understand. (Btw - would LOVE something in the old era)

Back
Top Bottom