Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Definitive Edition of Divinity: Original Sin II for consoles will enhance the PC version as well:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Spotlight | Meet Feedback Billy

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition is coming to Xbox Game Preview May 16. Meet Feedback Billy, our way of gathering feedback about your experience, that will help us tune the console experience for release in August on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Thousands of tweaks and changes are coming in the Definitive Edition, and those changes will also be available to PC players!

Thanks Xian!

More information.

Brilliant video!

Wait... what was that guy LEEPING over the bridge??

Well…….who's surprised here? Not me.:p

Another Definite, Game of the Year, Directors Cut, or Ultimate Edition again.:rolleyes:

Well at this point it's better to wait, and buy later then crowdfund these games.

After the direction their last two games have been headed, I'll stick to playing their older products. Perhaps they'll return to their roots at some time, I'll at least keep an eye out for that possibility.

Well at this point it's better to wait, and buy later then crowdfund these games.
I'm with you on hating that I can't play a game in its "final form" until a year or two after it's released, but that particular sentence makes my head explode. You'd refuse to crowdfund a game just because they are going to continue improving it after it's out? Uh, okay.

After the direction their last two games have been headed, I'll stick to playing their older products. Perhaps they'll return to their roots at some time, I'll at least keep an eye out for that possibility.

What don't you like? I haven't played DOS2 yet, played DOS1 and got bored about halfway through it. My favorite is still Divine Divinity. I ask because from your posts I seem to like similar games as youn

What don't you like? I haven't played DOS2 yet, played DOS1 and got bored about halfway through it. My favorite is still Divine Divinity. I ask because from your posts I seem to like similar games as youn
He's probably like me and few others who liked playing the original Divinity and Dragon Knight instead. I've made my point about this topic on other threads before.
You'd refuse to crowdfund a game just because they are going to continue improving it after it's out? Uh, okay.
Yes as I'm buying a game that I will not complete on release. I rather wait for a boxed or digital version with all the patch's & expansions to play instead of a buggy mess.

Sales show the truth of this as a lot more sales are made on the Ultimate edition that is fully patched with all the expansions, and it's bought cheaper then backing the game.

There I said it I'm a cheapskate so deal with it.:biggrin:

Last edited:
He's probably like me and few others who liked playing the original Divinity and Dragon Knight instead. I've made my point about this topic on other threads before.
But that doesn't answer the question about what it is that he doesn't like about the D:OS games, which is what was actually asked. I'm kind of curious too.

Personally thought D:OS1 was near perfect, but I think D:OS2 suffers from the new armor system, steep scaling of stats/loot with level and vendors restocking great loot constantly, and pretty small outdoor world. Could actually be wrong about the last item, D:OS1 "felt" bigger but maybe it wasn't. Either way tho I'm pretty sure they're both small compared to DD or D2.

Yes as I'm buying a game that I will not complete on release. I rather wait for a boxed or digital version with all the patch's & expansions to play instead of a buggy mess.

Sales show the truth of this as a lot more sales are made on the Ultimate edition that is fully patched with all the expansions, and it's bought cheaper then backing the game.

There I said I'm a cheapskate so deal with it.:biggrin:
Oh, so you're saying you only crowdfund games just to get a cheap pre-order? Makes sense then. That never even crossed my mind. Personally, I crowdfund to support the devs and help make sure it gets made. I also usually crowdfund for far more than the game will ever cost.

But that doesn't answer the question about what it is that he doesn't like about the D:OS games, which is what was actually asked. I'm kind of curious too.
Well can't answer for him but I hated the combat, companions, and the weak story in D:OS. I haven't played the second but heard it's improved in some of those areas.

Story and companions are better. I think all the rest is worse. But they're both still great games imo. So are DD, BD, and D2.

So, what the heck is different in the "definitive edition" over the release version? I watched the video, clicked on the link, and don't see any details beyond some in-game feedback questions.

Notably, I want to know:

a) Is the ridiculous increase in HP/damage lessened with each level?
b) Are environmental effects still pointless 2 turns into every battle after everything is inevitably covered in cursed fire?
c) Is loot less based on RNG, devoid of lore? (in part, tied back to (a))
d) Is progression more evened out; does Act 2 still plod along for half of the entire game while Act 3 seems out of place and superfluous for the most part?

In the case of Larian, they have a habit of offering every enhanced, ultimate or whatever edition for free to whomever owns the game already. That means that the cheapest way of obtaining that digitally and play it, is to support their Kickstarter as an early bird and wait until the release of that enhanced/ultimate edition to play it (if you want to play only once).
Larian isn't doing any DLCs, so that is not a reason to not participate in their Kickstarter, while waiting on the latest and best version of that game. Not liking their games is however a very good reason not to participate.

Even though I had backed D:OS2 I have only played a few hours with everything else I have going on now including the backlog, so I guess at this point I will restart with the Definitive Edition.

I will still back them anyway, they produce the kind of games that I like so I want to support them. Every update has been free and they usually do update their games. I remember purchasing Divinity 2 Ego Draconis and getting the free upgrade to the Dragon Knight Saga for example.

I absolutely despised the combat in Original Sin the second. I'm a melee lover, I tend to avoid mage types except for healing purposes, yet everything about this game seemed to favour casting and penalize any character that focused on pure melee. Now, perhaps this got fixed/patched later, but I played this right at release, and the moment I was done it got deleted, and I doubt I'll ever replay it, as it was a miserable experience.

And yes, I much prefer the earlier Larian offerings. The last two don't even begin to compare to the earlier games.

To be honest dos 2 was not a buggy mess on release. There were issues and some quests that didn't close but very playable (well two fights had incredible lag due to slow downs). I'm curious if the definitive version makes story changes or just inventory and gaphics... Is there a list of changes?

There I said it I'm a cheapskate so deal with it.:biggrin:

Don't agree. I played twice once before first patch and once after last patch. Both times I had balance party (Archer, warrior, pair of caster to cover all magic schools) and found I needed all. Frequently I would use caster to teleport yucky to warrior for slaughter (I played on tactical both times). I'll play again when the new patch arrives but will probably replace one caster with rogue or second warrior. Lovemy Archer...

I absolutely despised the combat in Original Sin the second. I'm a melee lover, I tend to avoid mage types except for healing purposes, yet everything about this game seemed to favour casting and penalize any character that focused on pure melee. Now, perhaps this got fixed/patched later, but I played this right at release, and the moment I was done it got deleted, and I doubt I'll ever replay it, as it was a miserable experience.

And yes, I much prefer the earlier Larian offerings. The last two don't even begin to compare to the earlier games.

Agree but were the minority on this site Carnifex. Unfortunately Larian has decided Co-Op Turn-based games are the company's future. Pity guess I'll play PoE 1 & 2 instead.

Also my statement above about cheaper refers to the most funded kickstarter RPG's . As Obsidian, Larian, and inxile they always release these new updated editions.

So I've come to the conclusion it's better to wait for all expansions & patches to play them, and then you can buy them for more then 60% off to boot also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom