Shroud of the Avatar - Housing Not Impossible

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@MassivelyOP Shroud of the Avatar housing is not impossible to acquire but will take a lot of grinding.

[...]
The bad news is that you need a lot of gold. The player did a test run hunting bandits for cash and found that he was able to make around 4000 gold per hour, meaning that by conservative estimate it’d take him about 78 hours to earn enough to buy a small housing plot. But that number assumes all other things being equal, and they’re not. You’d be leveling up, getting lucky drops, improving your merchanting, and most likely eventually figuring out that there are better ways to make bank, like hunting resources. It also assumes a stable price for Crowns (apparently the market is fluctuating wildly right now ahead of launch).

If you’re accustomed to getting an MMO house for nothing, that’s going to seem like a lot, to be sure, but old-school Ultima Online players probably aren’t even going to flinch at that kind of grind.
More information.

I backed this game but I doubt I'll ever play it. In all these years, there's never been a news post from Portalarium where I found what they were talking about interesting or compelling.

I backed this game but I doubt I'll ever play it. In all these years, there's never been a news post from Portalarium where I found what they were talking about interesting or compelling.
Yeah.
This game is the only one of my 70+ crowdfunding projects that I regret backing...

And still absolutely nothing about the single player RPG part of this, from anyone.

It'll probably be like doing quests in an MMO.

Shroud of the Avatar indeed. Time to lay him to rest.

I still read the backer email updates for the laughs, they're all so pathetic. As you said, I don't think a single one of them (and there's been over a hundred), ever made this game sound interesting in any way. Game is over 3 years late and it's still going to be completely awful, unless you are a part of its tiny target audience which seems to be hardcore Ultima-Online-playing autists.

This article is sort of off....there is no place you can buy a plot of land that is not controlled by players setting the price in the game. So, if the game takes off(I know right) the ability for these plots to skyrocket is there.

Also, they have added 3 npc followers who I guess level up with you and follow you around with a comment on the main quests sometimes. A far cry from ultima 7.

Backer here, and I constantly wonder if we'll ever actually see a single player game from all this mess. In the end, I believe we never will.

Backer here, and I constantly wonder if we'll ever actually see a single player game from all this mess. In the end, I believe we never will.
We will, it'll just be an awful one. Essentially an MMO that you play with nobody else logged in. Just so they can say they delivered what they promised. No motivation to make it any more than that. The guys behind this thing have made it clear that they don't give a flying fuck about single-player games. Wish they'd made that clear during the KS campaign.

Sadly, at a best guess I think you are correct. What a crime that will be, I just hope the repercussions last a lifetime for all that created this drek.

Garriott is a snake oil salesman - sad to see after his contributions decades ago but true..... He is constantly trying to milk his success from decades ago and is now nothing more than a scam artist. Avatar - from the very beginning - was clearly an ill-conceived project meant to line his pockets. Some day there will be class action lawsuits in gaming - I'm not sure they won't be merited.

:lol: Who would bother doing a class-action lawsuit over games? Each person is out $60, at most. Maybe more if you did a big KS pledge. Still, not worth anyone's time except the lawyers'.

So are there going to be masses of homeless people in SoTA? Isn't this a social problem which developers should have thought before? What if these homeless people turn into life of crime? How will the SotA society respond? Will there be social programs? ;)

What society, rofl. When I got involved with this project, I had about eight friends that also jumped in. To date, I don't think a single one of use care about this project anymore, and I'm guessing just about ever other supporter feels the same way, I don't see anything positive at all at this point.

If I don't have a house, I wonder if I can leave all the junk I can't carry anymore on the floor in Lord British's castle?

So are there going to be masses of homeless people in SoTA? Isn't this a social problem which developers should have thought before? What if these homeless people turn into life of crime? How will the SotA society respond? Will there be social programs? ;)

The homeless ought to be able to create "tent cities," complete with used needles (from shooting up quicksilver) and feces everywhere. The game's economy should take this into account with declining home values and businesses that get robbed more frequently. You know, just like real life. ;)

I backed it and played for a bit, but never really got into it. Gradually lost interest in it over the years. Some of the backer pledges are insane and the RMT store is basically highway robbery.

With $12,829,540 raised (as of this post, according to the website), one would think they'd have done a better job. =(

I backed it and played for a bit, but never really got into it. Gradually lost interest in it over the years. Some of the backer pledges are insane and the RMT store is basically highway robbery.

With $12,829,540 raised (as of this post, according to the website), one would think they'd have done a better job. =(

That's nothing. He was way more of his rat tail left that he can sell.

If I ever get to play a MMO and buy a house, I'm gettin' this one.

I owned housing in both Everquest one and two, it was never a big appeal of the game for me. I'd say in almost twenty years of playing both combined, I spent maybe an hour in total in those homes. Now guild halls, those were places to hang out in!!

Back
Top Bottom