NWN2 Online Adventure (sort of)

Neverwinter Nights 2

ffbj

Sentinel
My first foray online was decidedly negative. I went into Shrould World. The pwc file update was painless, but then when I entered the world and tried to use my journal I got the message that some file was in the wrong place. The whole process was entirely automated so no clue how to fix that, and it is imperative that your journal work correctly since the world is quest driven.

The quest driven world is a matter of taste. I did not care for it much. Running around doing a bunch of fetch quests and getting zero xp for killing monsters, unless they related to the quest you are on seems very artificial to me.

The design was nice. Someone or many did a good job on the areas, but I think they are overlarge since there was lots of lag.

At one point I was about half way to 2nd level, when a bunch, perhaps 8 skeletons spawned very near the starting house. Being a chaotic good character I tried to help out and was killed repeatedly by the much more powerful skeletons who were murdering npc's and other pc's almost at will. One or posssibly two hits on my 9 hp starting character was all it took, and they soak 5 damage too. Which while that is not unreasonable for skeletons it is totally unreasonable to think a 1st level character has a chance against them. It was rather amusing in a macbre sort of way, with all the skeletons and people running every which way.

After about the 4th respawn I managed to get in the killing blow on one of the skeletons as it attacked another pc, who immediately ran off to collect the quest item which had dropped nearby, without so much as a thanks, or remark. It's under the rp section btw, not one pc said a thing to me though I ran into a number. I did hit the cheer emote when I saw a pc kill a wolf, and he ran by without even a by your leave or have a nice day.
This is not the fault of the sever necessarily but since all xp is from quests why help anyone or even notice they exist, since you are essentially on your own, doing your own thing.

At one point earlier in the skeleton fight, if you can call it that, more like a massacre, I had tried standing behind a fence and firing my crossbow, suddenly I was plopped right next to a skeleton which I fled from but was killed by another skeleton chasing an npc.

By no means is this a definitive review of that world but since I won't be going back there I thought I should relate my experience. You might have fun and enjoy their world it's just not for me.

There was one neat cutscene with a shroud projection who warned me to go back to where I came from, the orphanage, but I ignored his advice. In the end I returned to the orphanage anyway to complete a quest and that's where I died, over, and over and over again. So I guess his prediction was correct it's just that his directions were a bit off.

Do you plan to remake your mod/world for NWN2? I loved flying your dragons!! :)

I am a little on the fence on that one at the moment. I did look at the toolset and made an experimental area. Without any npc's it came in at 25mb. My entire module in Nwn 1 with over 170 areas, 100's of scripts, 1000's of placeables, and 100's of npc's, and CEP 2.0 only clocks in at 40mb. So certainly no pw from me, maybe a small module with a dozen areas or so. Otherwise the task would be too overwhelming. Basically you need a talented dedicated team to produce anything in Nwn2 that's worth much, imo. I have been approached by a few people to join their teams, but I politely declined. So I guess the answer is not to expect anything from me in the near future, though I continue to work on my module in Nwn1.

Unfortunately, since we left the Dot, we no longer have access to a server to host your PW. Perhaps someone else could help out.

It's up on gamespy under roleplay at Malbara/Second God War. Folks can always go there to check it out. So few players these days it's usually empty anyways.

Back
Top Bottom