Avadon - Blog #5 - Getting It Done

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jeff Vogel writes about the last stages of Avadon, as the project heads towards release in late February (well, the Mac version, anyway):
There are always lots of aggravating parts of the job of writing a game that I put off and put off. Now they can't be put off anymore. Every job I hate. Doing the sound effects. And writing the documentation (and hint book). And making the game icon, and the installer. Nothing can be delayed anymore.

A lot of this work is very important, as they determine a player's first impression. Things like the icon and the starting music and art are the first things a player will experience. These details require a lot of attention, so I work on them at a time when I can focus on them as much as possible.

For Avadon, I've put a lot of work into directing the art at the beginning of the game so that they help the player understand a complicated world, with a lot of intricate politics. The early moments of the game can't be wasted. I want to intrigue the player with the story at every possible moment.
More information.

We hope to release it for the Macintosh at the end of February. Then the process of porting it to Windows and the iPad shall commence.

I don't think an iPad port has ever been mentioned before.

I guess I never paid attention to his stuff pre-release before because the Mac getting it first is a surprise to me. I guess the reason is he builds the game on a Mac? It still seems odd.

I wonder for which computer he sells more.
Does anybody knows how long does he take usually to port the games for Windows?

I don't think an iPad port has ever been mentioned before.

He mentioned it previously - but I was surprised at the time.

I guess I never paid attention to his stuff pre-release before because the Mac getting it first is a surprise to me. I guess the reason is he builds the game on a Mac? It still seems odd.

Jeff has always programmed on a Mac - always has, always will. He feels more comfortable working that way

I wonder for which computer he sells more.
Does anybody knows how long does he take usually to port the games for Windows?

It takes around 2 months to port - much of that is beta testing and balancing. Jeff is cautious, even though he has the Mac version behind him. IIRC, the split is about 40 Mac / 60 Windows -- but I'll double-check my memory later.

Well a 2 month delay is nice actually, gives me time to beat Two Worlds 2 and Dragon Age 2.

The guy is incredibly efficient. It was announced in May 2010, stating it was 6 months in development at that point. If it comes out in February, Its just 1 3/4 years in development, and that with a new IP! Maybe his games are samey, but you have to hand it to him, he knows his stuff and works highly professional. I have played only one of his games so far, but I might give Avadon a shot if word at the watch is good - with a new series I'd be more comfortable jumping in then with the old ones with their large backlogs.

I'm mildly excited too. My biggest gripe with all of Jeff's games, is that each in a series is too much alike. That and the pitiful graphics. At least with Avadon, there won't be X or Erika or Soldberg. Of course, looking at screenshots, the graphics have been improved about .04% and every skill looks like it existed in Avernum too. I actually bought Avernum 6 because folks had bragged about the Battle Disciplines and how it was a more robust game. I just didn't see it. It felt like all the other Avernum's to me.

I'll definitely play through the demo. If I can slog through that without getting bored, I'll buy. Jeff always rewards with a great demo.

Back
Top Bottom