Bioshock 2 - Steam Offers Free Bioshock with Preorders of Bioshock 2

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
There has not been much coverage of Bioshock 2 since it is looking more and more like a shooter, but I thought some of you might be interested in this. If you preorder Bioshock 2 from Steam you will get 10% off the game and Bioshock for free. If you already own Bioshock you can gift it to someone. You can read more about it over at 1up.
More information.

Pfft, no way they are getting my money till I read a few reviews this time.

I found Bioochosk a major disapointment. Sure it was pretty and had alot of very cool effects but it had none of the feel of System Shocks.

I'm debating this ... but not sure who I can even give Bioshock to at this point, as it has been on so many $5 sales ...

Do you already own Bioshock on Steam? If you just have the hard copy and no one to give the Steam version to then you could just keep it. If you ever want to play it again you wouldn't have to go looking around for the DVD.

Do you already own Bioshock on Steam? If you just have the hard copy and no one to give the Steam version to then you could just keep it. If you ever want to play it again you wouldn't have to go looking around for the DVD.

I bought it originally through Steam ... I've been moving to digital for a while ;)

After coming to terms with the fact that Bioshock was inferior to System Shock (both of them) in pretty much every way imaginable, I did have to admit that I enjoyed my time with it.

The atmosphere in itself was absolutely astounding. I will likely enjoy Bioshock 2 for the same reason, though I'm not going to invest until I hear more.

It's a different team on it, afterall.

I don't have any vibe on this one…anyone seen any promising previews or anything?

Same here, I don't like what I've heard about the story so far. So now you're playing as the Big Daddy prototype? Where was this guy hiding during the events of Bioshock 1?

The only thing that's intrigued me so far is the idea of certain sections taking place under water, outside of Rapture.

Here's a glimpse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBNlneCC7kg

I enjoyed Bioshock. I've passed it three times. DArt is right in that it can't hold a candle to any of the System Shocks, but for an rpg-lite game it was a lot of fun.

@JDR Rapture was on the brink of destruction at the very end so I too would like to see how they pull this off. I have a sinking suspicion that it is going to be one of those 'just because' reasons.

One reason could be the Big Daddy's themselves. Someone reminded me that in the beginning of the game there was a Big Daddy repairing Rapture. That could be a barely plausible reason as to why it survived.

As for the prototype, well I can think of a bunch of reasons off the top of my head. The one I would bet on is that he wasn't conscious during the events of Bioshock 1.

Too much DRM for me. GameStar and PCGames say:
Steam + SecuROM (disk check only) + GfW Live! + 5 installs max. (beg for more via phone hotline).

No, thanks!

Holy cow are you kidding me? All that in one game. I have never boycotted a game because of the DRM, but I might for this. Too many other quality games to choose from to be begging a company to let me play their game.

I have gotten over my reservations with the one time activation of a gfw Live game like GTA 4, but add to that 5 installs max. Not even GTA 4 went that far.

Steam + SecuROM (disk check only) + GfW Live! + 5 installs max. (beg for more via phone hotline).

No, thanks!

Well, it is impossible for all of that, but even what will be there is heinous ... if you get DD then there is no disk and therefore no SecuROM for disk. And since it ties into Steam, you won't need the disk even if you grab retail.

As for max activations, I wonder how it works through Steam ...

Finally, GfWL ... grrr... I *hated* that with Red Faction Guerrilla - it makes it impossible for even non-Steam games to be sold / traded, and adds *nothing* of value.

Wow ... I liked Bioshock enough that I planned to grab this ... now not so sure. Maybe I'll get a review copy ...

Finally, GfWL … grrr… I *hated* that with Red Faction Guerrilla - it makes it impossible for even non-Steam games to be sold / traded, and adds *nothing* of value.

You might be interested in this then: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62026

Green Man Gaming will be offering some kind of service to allow you to trade your digital purchases. I'm not sure how it will work, but it sounds promising.

SecuROM doesn't bother me at all, and I would probably never use 5 installs. What I really hate though, is when a game requires you to be logged in to an online service, especially if it means that certain in-game functions aren't available otherwise. GfW is notorious for that.

The 2k forums are on fire today with this stuff. Apparently you only have to be online for activation, but I assume the online/offline stuff will be screwed up like Fallout 3 rather than gracefully handled like Dragon Age.

GfWL is needed for the activation limit and for saving(!).

Everybody shall decide for himself. I wouldn't buy a game with such DRM.

Maybe it's a bit cynical, but it seems to me the publisher is trying to drive potential customers to the consoles. Maybe the margin is higher there.

GfWL is needed for the activation limit and for saving(!).

Everybody shall decide for himself. I wouldn't buy a game with such DRM.

Maybe it's a bit cynical, but it seems to me the publisher is trying to drive potential customers to the consoles. Maybe the margin is higher there.

That is the same as Batman, Red Faction and Fallout 3. You create an offline profile and are all set.

The rest I agree with - this really poisons the well for me!

Ok guys, I thought it would be a good idea if I posted a newsbit about this DRM issue so that we can head on over there for anymore DRM related topics.

Back
Top Bottom