Avernum 5 - Officially Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We've talked about Avernum V a few times but Spiderweb has now officially unveiled the game with a page on their site and some screens:
The latest game in the award-winning Avernum series. Travel into the strange underworld of Avernum, a land full of misfits, bandits, and barely civilized monsters. Hunt the villain who tried to kill your Empress, and keep him from assassinating you first.
As you wander the gigantic world of Avernum, you will experience:
  • An enormous world. Hundreds of quests, dozens of dungeons and enemy fortresses, and multitudes of characters.
  • Epic storyline. Hunt the assassin Dorikas, while his agents try to trick and waylay you at every turn.
  • Many unique encounters. Not just mindless hack and slash. Many unusual enemies that will require clever tactics to defeat.
  • Rich game system with over 50 spells and battle disciplines, many character building options, and powerful secret skills to unlock.
  • Unique game world. Not just the same old elves and hobbits.
  • Experience with previous Avernum games is completely unnecessary to enjoy Avernum 5.
Thanks, Sandy!
More information.

This is one I'm very excited about... I loved Avernum 4 and I have a feeling this one is going to be even better.

It's nice to see there are still some developers out there making games for people who are too poor to upgrade their computers.

It sounds like he is taking his "view from the bottoms" and hopefully incorporating them into the rants into this game.

The two things I hope he addresses is the hidden skills and the points needed to make some of them useful, and my biggest gripe: I hate that in order to min-max I can't take most sskills in the beggining because I can train them 2 points for free (well for gold) and save skill points, but it makes the game play wierd and sucks the enjoyment out. This is one of the few times I'd actually use an editor if it was avialable. The only editor avialable is one that gives you everything+ (one downloaded from the SW forum) and I just want my two free trainable skill points.

Of course, an answer would be for me not to min/max, and my reply to that is the Avernums are RP light dungeon hacks that are combat heavy, so the game mechanics and game design call for me to min/max, even if I don't need to.

I always love to hear about new stuff he is doing, and will be all over this one just like the last.

Roqua, what di you lean by min-max ?

Min-maxing is the practice of playing a role-playing game for the intent of creating the "best" character by means of minimizing undesired traits and maximizing desired ones. (from wiki)

I belong to the group that is tired of the same-old, same-old from Jeff. His engines and stories have already been done to death. I'm not buying from him til he makes something entirely new. There are a ton of folks who disagree with this though, so I'm the minority here. I can't tell the difference in the geneforges, the exiles, and the avernums. Each game in the various series plays just like the last game.

I belong to the group that is tired of the same-old, same-old from Jeff. His engines and stories have already been done to death. I'm not buying from him til he makes something entirely new. There are a ton of folks who disagree with this though, so I'm the minority here. I can't tell the difference in the geneforges, the exiles, and the avernums. Each game in the various series plays just like the last game.

I would of agreed with you if you had compared the exiles with the avernums but geneforge and nethergate are the same as the avernums??? I'm not sure what your thinking is behind this. If you have not played Nethergate or Geneforge I suggested you do so immediatly if you like his types of games, if not maybe you need to wait for the major publishers to offer you something that is new and groundbreaking maybe Fallout 3 would be to your liking. Lots of new stuff in there I espcially like the nuclear catapolts, they seem really innovative and new. All sarcasm aside really if you haven't played Nethergate try it it's pretty good and it is totally unlike the other games in regards to the story. If your talking about gameplay then it's about the same with some skills and spells that are different. You have to realize that he does this all by himself, if he was a major label then yea he could reinvent his engine and gameplay to something new but he concentrates on giving a great read with fun TB gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom