Age of Decadence - Improving the Performance

The monkey is looking forward to this one... :clap:

I really hope that this game will bring back the interest to the old-school cRPG genre. So many years has passed with absolutely nothing good and hardcore.

Either that or people will be disappointed their rogues don't jump and teleport all over the screen and they can't bump uglies with some elf dude...

...I just can't stop taking shots at Bioware... :slap:

I will gladly give my money to IRON TOWER. This looks like a beauty.

Maybe some of you didn't play the combat demo...it was just ok. Graphics were poor, game play was meh.

Maybe some of you didn't play the combat demo…it was just ok. Graphics were poor, game play was meh.

I didn't play the combat demo... Could you break it down for me, why it was meh and just ok? I'm genuinely curious as I have heard good things about the game.

It's been a while, so I hope my memory serves me well, but I remember liking the combat demo, in terms of gameplay. It was turn based. There were lots of weapons with lots of lovely stats. There were tridents and (a personal fave of mine) nets! I believe you could throw the nets to snare or slow someone for a number of turns. I dig crap like that.

But the demo lpooked pretty awful and had bad animations. Things did feel a bit clunky. However, the videos and stuff they started releasing recently are vastly improved. They made a huge visual overhaul at some point.

Personally, the visuals are nice, but they don't overly concern me.

^ Sounds good… Any idea where they are in the development process(IE near completion or is it still a ways out)?

I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess. I hope someone else knows more than I do, because I'd be curious, as well. I think they've been at it a while. :p

The graphics look better than any modern Isometric RPG to date. If your looking for an old school RPG that doesnt hold your hand , this is the one.

I don't know…where to start…

This game has a lot riding on it, the codex is a huge supporter of this game since one of their founding members is the developer. It has been in development for a very long time, I have seen some interesting quest ideas by them. Though they seem to go through reimagining of the graphics every 2 or so years.

All in all, I couldn't even hazard a guess as to when it will be released….my question though will people hold his game to the standards he holds all other games?(the developer that is)

Out of couriosity is nwn2 considered an isometric rpg?

This game has TB combat with a single controllable character. I think TB is far better with a whole party to control...But that said....I thought the combat demo was the best single character TB combat I have ever played. There were a variety of weapons and attacks to choose from. There was also a variety of opponents who required different tactical choices.

The graphics look nice, but I've been skeptical about this game, if it ever gets released and if so how buggy it might be. [As JDR13 said, having frame rate issues with an old school isometric game, what the hell?]

I don't know…where to start…

This game has a lot riding on it, the codex is a huge supporter of this game since one of their founding members is the developer. It has been in development for a very long time, I have seen some interesting quest ideas by them. Though they seem to go through reimagining of the graphics every 2 or so years.
Weren't you asked why the combat demo was meh? I don't think that was a very informative answer.

Besides, didn't you think it was "decent" (on another forum) and "saw some good potential there", which, I assume, is the highest praise, considering that you're still upset that I criticized games you liked a lot?

…my question though will people hold his game to the standards he holds all other games?(the developer that is)
Not that I care what standards AoD will be held to, to be honest (some people will like it, some people will hate it, what else is new?), but the notion that these standards should be the same as mine is kinda silly.

Weren't you asked why the combat demo was meh? I don't think that was a very informative answer.

Besides, didn't you think it was "decent" (on another forum) and "saw some good potential there", which, I assume, is the highest praise, considering that you're still upset that I criticized games you liked a lot?

Not that I care what standards AoD will be held to, to be honest (some people will like it, some people will hate it, what else is new?), but the notion that these standards should be the same as mine is kinda silly.

Your right, that wasn't very clear and informative. I do think I saw potential, your right. I liked the combat generally, and I already said I think it was almost identical to fallout in it's style and look. I'm not a fan of what I saw of you on the codex, thats true. You were not an easy guy to like on there;) As I assume I am not the easiest. I felt the animations, especailly the crowed were poor at the time. Combat to me is not high on my list of what I like about rpg's, so to be fair that could also have colored my view a bit.

Tell you what, you give me an interview and tell me all about the game and answer some of my questions and we can call it even, I think I have asked for one from you before. Don't worry I'm fair and I use your exact words, I just send you some questions to answer:)

(The interview thing is something I'm getting into now, so if anyone is interested in learning about different games or people...or would like to have an interview message me...rampant coyote I'm lookin at you...and advertisement.)

Tell you what, you give me an interview and tell me all about the game and answer some of my questions and we can call it even, I think I have asked for one from you before.

This sounds like some kind of gamespot style blackmail…. hey give me an interview and I will be fair………

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm confused as to how a game like this could possibly have framerate issues..

Was thinking the same thing.

Well, the poly-count is not that low anymore, besides they are using their own custom made engine ( even if it builds on torque ) so it is not going to have millions of dollars worth of optimizations in it.

Some people tend to think that today computers are so fast you don't need to optimize or anything everything will just run like a dream. A new computer might be 10's of times faster than an older one. One single optimized algorithm can make it a 100 times faster.

Back
Top Bottom