Gothic 3 - Review @ Softpedia

Dhruin

SasqWatch
After a string of negative Gothic 3 reviews, a very positive one has popped up at Softpedia. The score is 9/10 and here's an excerpt:
First of all you should keep in mind that every action has repercussions and news travel very fast. Thus by helping a rebel camp (to liberate a city occupied by orcs or just providing them with the much needed supplies) you increase your reputation with the entire rebel faction. Just as well you can make yourself known to the orcs, the rangers, the hashishin, the nomads and also to the northern people in Nordmar. Depending on your reputation within a certain faction the hero gets minor favors (as to be allowed to visit high ranking people of that faction). The same thing – acknowledgement of the hero’s deeds – goes for visiting the chiefs of a city. You do a good job for the people, they respect you a little more and once you reach a high level of trust (usually 75%) you get to talk to the big boss.
More information.

This is a really thorogh review. You can tell the reviewer spent a great deal of time with the game.

The bad part though is the complete lack of any mention of the bugs with the original release of the game.

Most U.S. reviews talk about nothing but the bugs which is a huge disservice to gamers. Then you have this review, which really gets into the meat of the game... but then totally fails to mention some of the shortcomings... again a huge disservice to gamers.

It's one extreme or the other on the net. Wish there were some better reviews out there... more balanced.

Hey, give young Gorath time, he'll get there!! :biggrin:

edit:

After a string of negative Gothic 3 reviews, a very deluded one has popped up

Hehe, you know what this proves? That Gothic 3 truly is a Gothic game. They have always been either loved or hated, and I think they always will.

I enjoyed both G1 and G2 and I'm currently enjoying G3 warts and all. Just seems like the reviews out there are either a) totally rushed or b) very biased.

Well, there are quite a few that give it in the 70-80% region. According to gamerankings.com there are only a few that give it ridiculously low scores
(3 out of 10), and this is the first I've seen that gives it a really high score. Doesn't seem all that biased to me.
I would give it around 70%. There are a myriad of bugs and performance issues and I don't think the HTH combat is all that hot, but there is a gem of a game lying under there that brings the score up somewhat.

After several weeks since the general release of G3 (oct-13) and as players become more aware of the more intricate subtleties in the storyline and gameplay methods it is only natural that better reviews appear later than those first attempts by fame seeking and bandwaggon jumping reviews after only partial (not fully explored) gameplay.

This is the most level-headed review yet, thank you Alexandra Dogaru for your common sense aproach in outlining the game, it reflects how G3 should be more accepted. :)

9/10 really is very generous considering the bugs Gothic 3 has. I would rate it 7.5 and i've only played the demo :)

I guess the reviewer is a big fan of the prequels

9/10 really is very generous considering the bugs Gothic 3 has. I would rate it 7.5 and i've only played the demo :)

I guess the reviewer is a big fan of the prequels

The demo is 1/20 of the actual game so it has to be 7.5x20! I think that now its rating is 8 but waiting mods and future patches can get Oblivion's scores.

I'm with Wolf and the Softpedia reveiw. The more I play the better this game gets. Yes, the game has way to many bugs for a game with 2 patches should have. But, the world, the story line, the factions are all fantastic. For me, the bugs only knock this game down in the mid 80s range.

The thing is, that as you continue to play you find more bugs ... and more greatness. With most games I have a mental score in mind by now, but I'm still wide open here ...

I never played 1 or 2, but I'd give Gothic 3 a 9/10 no question. I suppose I've been really lucky regarding bugs because there's only one irritating one that pops up for me after the 1.09 patch.

This game astounds me. It's the kind of RPG I dreamed (literally) of playing as a kid. It's like the antidote to NWN2's hand-holding, vanilla slideshow. I was playing NWN2 a week ago because it was the only thing out there. Now I doubt I'll ever load the OC again.

Maybe 9 is a bit too high. I'd have given 8 or 8.5. When the bugs are sorted out, then it deserves 9.

Back
Top Bottom