Tropico 5 - Steam Pre-Purchase Now Available

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Kalypso announces in a new press release you can now pre-purchase Tropico 5 on Steam. Here is new trailer. and information on a special edition.

Link - http://store.steampowered.com/app/245620/

Tropico 5 Limited Special Edition Announced and Steam Pre-Purchase Now Available

Bracknell, UK – 17th April 2014 –If you want to forge your own rich and powerful empire just like El Presidente in Tropico 5, then you’ll want to make sure you pre-order your copy of the Tropico 5 Limited Special Edition. This edition of Tropico 5 is automatically available to anyone who pre-orders or buys the retail boxed version of the game at launch and includes a snazzy avatar costume for your El Presidente, as well as the unique ‘Bayo del Olfato’ map for Sandbox mode at no extra cost. In addition, the Tropico 5 Limited Special Edition contains an authentic Tropico passport and Tropico island postcard designed by master illustrator Penultimo himself all in the box.

If you prefer to get your games digitally, then Steam Pre-Purchase is available from today (17th April) with a 10% discount. The Pre-Purchase deal will offer aspiring rulers a new alternative ‘Businessman’ avatar costume and ‘Isla de Vapor’ sandbox map available exclusively for digital players. Plus, there will be additional pre-order bonuses depending on the overall number of STEAM pre-orders for Tropico 5 - check out the Steam store page for more details. You can also pre-purchase Tropico 5 via the Kalypso Launcher and get a 15% discount.

In addition, there’s also a brand new Tropico 5 trailer available showcasing the different eras. Check it out below for a look at the different challenges each new era of Tropico will bring!

View the ‘The Eras’ trailer for Tropico 5 here

Packed with a whole host of new gameplay features and all new artwork designed from scratch, Tropico 5 takes the series into a new and exciting direction – dynasties!

You, as El Presidente, will first take control of the infamous island of Tropico during early colonial times and then guide it through the centuries as the world changes and moves ever forward. You must tackle the changing needs of your people, as well as opposing governments and factions, and thus lay the foundations for your own dynasty. As you move through your years in office you can promote members of your extended family on the island to positions of power: such as ambassador, commanding general or even Supreme Ruler, to ensure your legacy thrives through the eras.

As well as a wealth of other new features, including advanced trading mechanics, technology, scientific research trees and island exploration, Tropico 5 will add cooperative and competitive multiplayer for up to four players for the first time in the series’ history! Viva El Presidente!

Tropico 5 will be available for PC globally on 23rd of May (US retail 3rd June). Xbox 360® and Mac will be available this summer – with a version for the PlayStation®4 platform following in autumn.
For more information on Tropico 5 don’t forget to visit the official Tropico 5 website at www.tropico5.com.

Looks nice. :)

I'm looking forward to it but I just played 4 again for a couple of weeks so I'm not real eager to buy it on day one.

I'll snap it up pretty quickly if traffic/pathing is handled better. That could sort of kill large islands until you got subways which handled as a kind of a magic bandaid on the problems with roads.

I'd still love to see an Tropico 1 remake or something that is like it. Everything slow, walking people, lots of "wusel effect". ;)
To me, Tropico 1 was nearly perfect. Everything was fitting so well together … Especially the music. Bad that I was never able to get that soundtrack … It was sold on a site (because this was all licensed music) which only accepted credit cards. And no-one I knew had a credit card … And to me getting one only for this soundtrack was pointless …
Games seem to be faster nowadays, too. Like movies. (Compare Wickie then with Wickie now. Regarding speed of TV movies.)

Tropico 1 was taking a stance.

Since then, they have changed to a more neutral way of running things, it is the player who decided what kind of policies to apply. None go with particular bonuses or penalties.

Well here is a new update with a one hour developer walk-through video.

The recording of the TROPICO 5 Walkthrough with the Developers from 15th of May 2014.

http://www.tropico5.com
http://www.facebook.com/worldoftropico
http:///www.twitch.tv/kalypsomedia

Global PC release: 23rd May 2014 (digital & retail)
US PC release: 3rd June 2014 (retail)

Bisser and Lubo from Haemimont Games, Sofia show you all about the new Tropico 5. Out on 23rd of May 2014.

In Tropico 5 game you return to the remote island nation of Tropico and expand your dynasty's reign from the early colonial period to beyond the 21st Century. You will be facing an all-new set of challenges, including advanced trading mechanics, technology and scientific research and for the first time in Tropico history — cooperative and competitive multiplayer for up to 4 players.

Quill18 has a good video on it on YouTube.

I've always like the tropics series. It's the type of game you can play one or two scenarios in the weekend and then go on the next weekend....

Good city builder with a great atmosphere ...

The different era might be great ..

I just started playing Tropico 4 a couple of weeks ago... LOVED IT! I specially liked that it has a campaign, as I don't care about playing scenarios or random maps, but playing the campaign was very entertaining.

I bought the soundtracks to Tropico 1 and 2 as CDs from Daniel Indart back then. 3 albums called " Tropico - The Music", "Tropico - Paradise Island" and " Tropico 2 - Pirate Cove".

CDBaby are offering the three soundtracks as digital downloads and CD. They accept credit cards and PayPal. Alrik, would that work?

Last edited:
Sounds great ! :) Especially since I nowadays have PayPal. :)

So is anyone playing this? From the reviews I've read (and given the history of 4), I'm thinking about waiting for the complete edition.

Bump. Game is on sale until June 30th on Steam so I'm curious if others here think it was any good. The new features look nice but not sure that it is enough to get me interested. In past couple of years, I've liked strategy games where I have an avatar that has RPG-like features and looks like they are doing that here but seems like more effort was done on different timelines and multiplayer than core gameplay. Looking like a future steam sale at the moment.

The campaign seemed nice and it is goal oriented. The core game play is there. I wouldn't say it is weaker than the previous Tropico games (because of multiplayer/timelines).

I stopped about 2/3rds of the way in through the campaign. I discovered I was expanding too much and found out that I was rapidly approaching a (hidden) fixed population limit for the game.

The game falls flat in every department. They tried to recapture the ingredients of the charm of the previous versions (Tropico 3 and 4 since Tropico 1 and Tropico were much different) they fail. It looks like the same but got just that overused feel that spoil it.

Gameplay: probably the new things affect the MU side of the game (not tested)
For the SP side, it is the very same. After playing the tutorial, it appeared so close to what Tropico 4 is, I notched the difficulty to maximum except for disasters that I switched to near maximum.
In order to lengthen the campaign, it is divided over two islands, with each island befitting better one course in the scenarios.
I made the wrong choice.
It did not change: players who understood how the previous games play have zero challenge. It is just redoing the same as it was.

Story/campaign: I am not into story for video games so I am not demanding at all since I do not consider they should be taken into account for a video game quality.
Even with that, the story comes with no surprise. It is the same pitch as the previous and you can tell easily what is going up next.
The writing is neither good as the humour looks forced. They tried to keep to the formula and failed to freshen it up.
Campaign in terms of gameplay cant not be elaborated as elements are nothing new. Veterans find no difficulty in it and are not surprised in anything.

Sound/music: Music matters much for this type of games as it compensates for the lack of activity. They tried to maintain the line but they did not match the previous effort.
Sound: they had a lot of problems with voice over. They switched actors to perform voices etc. It seems that once again, they are on the same track.
Players who appreciate the original actor for the presidente (Tropico 4 vanilla) will hear the difference as they used the guy they also used for Modern Times the expansion.

Rushed: the game looks also rushed in many ways. One example: the models for the buildings are limited in number, one or two for each building. You can no longer cycle through them. For players who enjoy the aesthetics of their island, it destroys it.
When you read the mind of islanders, it appears that the feature might be rushed, there was supposed to be variety as they complain about the lack of variety.

I came back to Tropico 3 or 4, even before the expansions.
Tropico 5: finished campaign, one playthrough in sand box and it is over. All this to ensure that there were not something else that I missed. Game for shrewd people who might be shrewd enough to see that their first impressions are the right ones and stop to play after less than one hour.

The game might be something to look at in MU though.

Thanks for the reviews. It seems like one to skip or at least wait for based on feedback.

Bah. When did ban of digital content help? Now it'll just be smuggled and pirated there.

Seriously, apart from that australian minister of communications or something like that, all governments consist of retarded or ignorant fools. You can't stop data flow nor you can censor it. Example is The Stick of Truth censored in some regions - in just a day or so there was unblocking content "fix". Or another example, people are already asking on the official Sims4 board for a cheat or mod that will remove the annoying japanese style blur on butts and fronts. IP bans, domain name seizures, shutdown of sites with non legal content, when did that stop anyone?

Instead of fighting the war already lost, sell stuff legally and apply taxes. Everyone will be happy.

I still half expect to find out that Kalypso (sp?) paid Thailand to ban the game.

Back
Top Bottom