Baldur's Gate - BaldursGate.com Stirs Awake

I'd rather it be Baldur's Gate 3 :). We have a new Wasteland, possibly a new Chris Avellone RPG and now maybe Baldur's Gate 3 :) It could be a good time to be an RPG fan.

Why not? It's primarily a mouse drive game, and at least to me, anything you can do with a mouse you can do with a touchscreen (obviously tweaking it some).

I just don't think it's realistic. Well at least for me it wouldn't be.

Even with a stylus, using a touch screen for gaming gets old pretty fast. That's why shorter casual\puzzle games are so popular on platforms like iOS and Android. I just can't imagine playing through an RPG as long as BG like that. A touch screen also isn't as fast or accurate as a mouse, and I think a lot of people would eventually get frustrated.

I just don't think it's realistic. Well at least for me it wouldn't be.

Even with a stylus, using a touch screen for gaming gets old pretty fast. That's why shorter casual\puzzle games are so popular on platforms like iOS and Android. I just can't imagine playing through an RPG as long as BG like that. A touch screen also isn't as fast or accurate as a mouse, and I think a lot of people would eventually get frustrated.

Well Vogel seems to have been pretty successful with his Avadon port. I think its more about when people play games than the games themselves. Right now, I play a few games on my android phone, but I do them in very short bursts (like when we are watching a show and my wife gets a call) or during my commute (on the train with generally only one hand). That's not conducive to a game like an RPG, but if I had a tablet, I can see myself sitting down at home on the couch and playing something that takes more time/interaction.

That looks extremely tedious. Imagine going through the whole game tapping away like that? The wrists will be aching like mad after 100+ hours of touch screen usage. Pads are hardly intended for lengthy sessions.

How is that any different than moving your mouse around and clicking all over the place?

The page source code now contains this:

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->

<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->

<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->

<!-- As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life. -->

It does indeed sound like we are going to see a rerelease of some kind. Hopefully it will be modernized and cross-platform, but an iPad port only does seem likely. I know I'll buy it.

I could never picture myself playing such a long and detail-laden game on an iPad with my stubby fingers. Give me a seat, perfectly placed monitor, and the pin-point precision of a mouse any day.

I don't see the point of using a tablet for gaming if you're at home.

You would if your pc was in the same room as your 6 month old daughter's crib! :biggrin:

Seriously though, I think as tablets replace laptops for a lot of users, you'll see more gaming shift to it. I was planning on picking up a tablet for my wife. She uses our laptop in the living room and kitchen mainly to web browse and look up recipes. She has no need of a full laptop. Add in the ability to stream a lot of video to it (our cable company has an app that lets you do it in your home) and it actually becomes superior for what she uses it for. So I doubt I'll buy another laptop for home use.

This is emotional news for me! BG3! :~D

I have a new poll idea which im genuinely interested to know the answer to.

What ruleset would you like to see BG3 use?

2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5

Considering how little experience we non-pnp adnd players know about 4 maybe it should be "would you like BG3 to use an old (2.5-3.5) or new (4-5) ruleset?"

I'm undecided as I can see good points to both. Clerics using blunt only just seems DND to me, for example, but 4 could bring fresh gameplay to the table I never knew I couldnt live without!

A new PC (NOT iOS dammit!) Baldur's Gate game would be awesome.

I mean, I don't care if iOS gets a version of the original games, but it would suck if it was some kind of iOS exclusive new game, because then I would have to buy an iPad and hate myself for it.

Well, if this is just a port of BG 1 & 2, it will use AD&D like the originals. In the unlikely and unfortunate event that Atari is going to make a mess of the series with a new BG3, I'd still like AD&D; 3.5 is too powergamery for my tastes and 4&5 are jokes.

Frankly, I don't know if there's a developer out there who i fully trust with a BG3.

What ruleset would you like to see BG3 use?

2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5

I'd go with 2.5.

3 & 3.5 seemed a little overwhelming to me with too many choices. Plus it seems like they were trying to be all things to all people. No experience with 4, and 5 isn't even out yet, right?

It really sounds like an iOS release of some sort. That they say development required a Mac really seems to indicate this more than anything. While many graphic designers prefer to use the Mac - I can't see what aspect of development would practically require they have one besides releasing it on iOS. I'm curious what they mean about the engine being better than ever - though that could just mean higher resolution as other people pointed out. I'd hope they meant more interesting combat AI - particular for NPC enemy spellcasters. Fighting super-high level spellcasters in tha game pretty much always played out the same way. Maybe enemy AI that actually works together decently in some situations? As long as a more interesting AI was properly adjusted with difficulty levels that would make the combat aspects play entirely differently.

What's really funny is watching someone play it on a phone rather than a tablet. I thought the guy was using a tablet at first but had stumps instead of hands. No - those are just thumbs shakily trying to order the Bhaalspawn around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQIldenURrQ

I think Atari probably lost the license when they lost the D&D license so I don't think Atari will be involved unless a miracle happened and they got the license back.

They lost it? Infogram/Atari sold back most of the Hasbro portfolio - including such rich sources of game-inspiration like Mr. Potato Head, My Little Pony and Connect Four - but they had retained the Dungeons and Dragons license even then. Did they lose it since then?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/atari-locks-down-dandd-hasbro-buys-back-transformers-6127273

Last edited:
I hate to sound negative, but I don't want to see either of those.

To be honest, I just don't think it's feasible to play through a game like Baldur's Gate using a touch screen.

I would rather it not be on tablet as well but if it is I would hope for an android version as I don't use apple.

They lost it? Infogram/Atari sold back most of the Hasbro portfolio - including such rich sources of game-inspiration like Mr. Potato Head, My Little Pony and Connect Four - but they had retained the Dungeons and Dragons license even then. Did they lose it since then?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/atari-locks-down-dandd-hasbro-buys-back-transformers-6127273

Yes they did that's the reason why they sold the never-winter game to another company. Hasbro or TSR has the license back.

HASBRO AND ATARI RESOLVE DUNGEONS & DRAGONS RIGHTS DISPUTE

August 15, 2011 (Renton, WA) – Wizards of the Coast LLC, Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) and Atari, S.A. announced today the settlement and resolution of the complaint against Atari, S.A. and the counterclaims filed by Atari, S.A. against Hasbro, Inc. filed in December 2009 in regards to the Dungeons & Dragons brand.

Digital licensing rights for Dungeons & Dragons have been returned to Hasbro. Atari will continue to develop and market several games under license from Hasbro and Wizards, including the #1 Xbox LIVE® hit Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale and the upcoming Heroes of Neverwinter for Facebook. Additional settlement details remain private.

In addition, the acquisition of Cryptic Studios by Perfect World Entertainment Inc. from Atari in July 2011 has delayed the Neverwinter PC Game scheduled for release later this year. Perfect World will be investing in a more immersive experience for release in late 2012.

They later sold Cryptic and didn't finish it. I'm not interested in an phone or tablet remake if it is what all signs point to. Disappointed.

Nice. I'm picking up and iPad 3 as soon as humanly possible anyway, and whatever this is, is now on my list as well.

I STILL haven't finished BG2, after about 3-4 tries, and never even touched ToB. Damn what a big game.

Apart from the obvious value for the publisher, I actually do see value in this. These re-releases and surprising success of rather old -school RPGs like Spiderwebs on iPad expose a lot of new players to classic RPG games. That can only be good for our little niche in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom