How is 'The Quest' not on RPGWatch radar?

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
I've seen far more obscure titles discussed than this one. Granted its old school and that will understandably limit its appeal. If anyone liked the Wizardry series this is an old school no brainer. No hand holding. Tons of exploration and decent puzzles. Multi part questing, alchemy, enchanting, good stat system and magic system. And its fun most importantly. Curious why it isn't discussed and raising awareness I guess.

It has an active community and lots of development support and expansion releases for the new "HD" engine. Redshift has halted development on the classic engine and Zarista has started porting expansions and creating new IP. http://www.redshift.hu/

questthoriosshot3.jpg

Because it's bottom right UI looks suspicously phone.

It certainly was on my radar a few years ago, and I keep meaning to get back to it as I know there is new content to explore. I'll get there eventually!

Because it's bottom right UI looks suspicously phone.

Identical to Grimrock which was initially PC only. Why are you such a mobile bigot anyway?

Its available on Steam, appstore and whatever the Android thing is. My initial question is why does the Watch ignore it? We get wall to wall JRPG coverage while a spiritual Wizardry successor gets virtually ignored? Seems like a pretty glaring "miss".

Identical to Grimrock which was initially PC only. Why are you such a mobile bigot anyway?

Its available on Steam, appstore and whatever the Android thing is. My initial question is why does the Watch ignore it? We get wall to wall JRPG coverage while a spiritual Wizardry successor gets virtually ignored? Seems like a pretty glaring "miss".

What's being ignored? There's lots of love for Gothic on this site, but not like we're seeing daily updates.

Gothic isn’t in active development. The Quest has an expansion release yesterday.

I've long eyed The Quest, but the world layout above-ground looks fairly bland from a design perpective. That being said, this style of game is rare these days and I still mean to pick it up at some point.

I feel like I saw a fair amount of coverage for it, but it has been out for awhile. They have also been really churning out expansions at a rapid pace, It looks like there are at least a dozen already? Maybe even more? You can understand how yet another paid DLC wouldn't exactly be exciting news.

Quest is a fine game though. I wouldn't compare it remotely to Wizardry, more likely an incredibly simplified single player dungeon master but with a more open world (maybe Dungeon Master lite meets Elder Scrolls lite?)

If I could have my way The Quest would be party based but its still a damn good game. Yes there are around a dozen expansions but that is for "The Quest Classic" from 2009. This is an updated engine. On Steam and my iPad Pro 12.9 it looks amazing. This expansion is the 4th for the new HD version. I think this expansion is new IP vs. the previous two. I think its news worthy. It isn't horse armor.

The Quest Deluxe is what I’m using. The expansions I bought are all accessible in the ports like the Morrowind island expansions. The descriptions mention minimum levels. Thor’s Hammer is a level one expansion while Islands is Fire and Ice (included with Deluxe bundle) is level 15. It’s hard to mess up because you’d never reach that port alive with a new character. Based on my current level and how much content I think is left a level 15 minimum makes sense. Hero of Lukomorye series starts at level 25 or so.

So the guards ai has been improved and they chase baddies away following you and wntering town or is it still the same?

got almost 100 hours in. And only about 2/3 of the way through. Never got to the center isle. My discussions were on the steam forums which even today is still active. Don't know if I will ever finish because it got kinda grindy but I heard of the game here at the Watch.

LATER

Looked at some of the expansions and was reminded how much fun the game was. I might come back to it now . . .

oh, and BTW, I got more of a Bard Tale vibe than Wizardry, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom