Baldur's Gate 3 - Gameplay and Impressions

This looks like a very promising RPG.
But BG3? Not sure if I see the connection to BG1&2, there, though - it feels more like a D:OS3.
Pretty sure they should avoid character close-ups, given the art assets they seem to have.

i love the character portraits, origin stories, opening trailer. It feels more like Dragon Age:Origins which I'm all for. Yeah for turned based!

The graphics and interface look like Divinity Sin 2. I don't care. Give me a great story and interaction between characters and memorable characters.

But BG3? Not sure if I see the connection to BG1&2, there, though - it feels more like a D:OS3.

What do you (and others) mean when you say this? Surely you didn't think a game in 2020 would have sprite art on prerendered backgrounds. What would make it "feel" like Baldur's Gate?

One thing I've always missed from CRPGs... smaller spaces. I played D&D back in the early 80s and in my head, a dungeon was often a tight, cramped environment. CRPGs came out and even taverns are these huge, cavernous spaces. I don't know how they could handle this in a video game. But fighting in close quarters is almost always ignored. Yeah, it restricts things. But too many video game fights and exploration happens in these enormous, open spaces.

Just an observation.

It looks like Dragon Age meets D:OS!! I'm in love!!!! The story/dialogue style of Dragon Age with the combat of D:OS is a dream pairing for me.

As someone who enjoyed Baldur's Gate but finds RTwP combat kind of tedious, the fact that this is turn-based makes this a full price purchase for me. Maybe even an early access purchase. I'm officially excited for this

What do you (and others) mean when you say this? Surely you didn't think a game in 2020 would have sprite art on prerendered backgrounds. What would make it "feel" like Baldur's Gate?

Cant say for others, but for me it was atmosphere of both Baldurs Gate games, which made them special, the feeling of adventure and wast magical world all around - people, who made these games knew how to make it. Did Larian can make it too, Im not sure, I dont feel atmosphere of their games, they are more like tb combat simulators with some okish story added to it.
And that's why Im afraid their game will be BG only in its name, but in reality it will be Divinity OS 3 DnD version :-/

And to be honest it even didn't looked like DnD combat that much - throwing boots at enemies, sure, it is so Larian! Seems like it will be burning barrels all over again.

lol "Divinity Sin 3 - D&D version" that's pretty good. :biggrin:

I agree that this looks much more like Divinity Sin (the Dark edition) married with Dragon Age Origins, than bears much resemblance to Baldur's Gate. But I'm cool with that. Since I thought both of those games were great, that sounds good to me! Heck, I always figured BG 3 is just a marketing gimmick, and this is typical on how they sell movie sequels these days, and games that are well known and famous.

Anyway, I think it looks intriguing, but a bit rough, and I'm glad they said they will be working on it, and hopefully they will polish it and fine tune it to the point where it has a more distinct feel to it than it does presently.

The D&D movie-like trailer was awesome though, and that must have cost a pretty penny.

Literally what I wrote. Granted, I wouldn't expect a 2020 title to necessarily keep to the technical limitations of 1999 - though maybe dare to look back, recognise what made BG special, art-wise, and inject it into a 2020 game?
However, apart from sharing a name a broad (barely recognisable) fantasy setting, as well as borrowing from the same tradition of p&p rules, I don't see what connects this part 3 to its supposed predecessors. What do you feel connects it?

So I was right. The dragon scene is from the game and it is a super production. From the looks of it, this game is going to be awesome. Yeah, it looks like more of a Neverwinter Night 3 (or a mix of Dragon Age, XCOM, DOS, and D&D games) than BG3, but who cares?

Also: I'm hoping for more small battles. D:OS2 ended up being one giant, 30+ minute fight after another. Not every encounter needs to be so sprawling and epic.

I'd also like to see more resource management with regard to powers. Casting high level spells in every fight from morning to night gets boring. I'd like to go back to the D&D concept of limited spells and abilities, and part of the game is to know when to use them, and when to save them for later. Pillars of Eternity 2 was disappointing this way, too. Every fight used every spell. Takes the planning and again—resource management—out of the equation. Which to me is ESSENTIAL to the D&D experience. Risk and reward.

Looks completely awesome....I'm in.

We'll know we're in a BG game once those immortal words are uttered: "You must gather your party together before venturing forth"!! :)

We'll know we're in a BG game once those immortal words are uttered: "You must gather your party together before venturing forth"!! :)

Hah yes....that always annoyed me....when you catch yourself mimicking hehhe

i love the character portraits, origin stories, opening trailer. It feels more like Dragon Age:Origins which I'm all for. Yeah for turned based!

The graphics and interface look like Divinity Sin 2. I don't care. Give me a great story and interaction between characters and memorable characters.

Sniff. I might cry. That, that is all I really want.

Yes, this has components and mechanics from D:OS. Is anybody surprised? I'm just thankful to get a (most likely) good D&D game with turn-based combat. What more do you want?

When they first talked about the game everybody was fearing a 3D-first person-ARPG. I like what I have seen much more than that.

Literally what I wrote. Granted, I wouldn't expect a 2020 title to necessarily keep to the technical limitations of 1999 - though maybe dare to look back, recognise what made BG special, art-wise, and inject it into a 2020 game?
However, apart from sharing a name a broad (barely recognisable) fantasy setting, as well as borrowing from the same tradition of p&p rules, I don't see what connects this part 3 to its supposed predecessors. What do you feel connects it?

The setting and the rules, which is all that needs to connect it. How was Pillars of Eternity 2 connected to Pillars of Eternity? How was Oblivion or Skyrim connected to the game before it? Putting in Minsc or references to the Bhaalspawn is just fan service shit.

The graphics of Baldur's Gate 2 were great. It had very good art direction. But the means by which those graphics were created didn't make that game special. Other games used similar graphics technology and weren't special in the slightest (Lionheart, for example). it's a ridiculous expectation. Wishing/hoping that BG3 has good art direction, character design, effects and so on, those are reasonable expectations.

Back
Top Bottom