Two Worlds II - Delay Confirmed in UK and AU

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Not surprisingly, the other territories where Southpeak holds Two Worlds II publishing rights have also been delayed to January 2011 - specifically, the UK and Australia (in addition to the NA delay announced earlier). This leaves the European areas published directly by Zuxxez for October 21st. This time, TopWare writes the press release (perhaps to make sure Southpeak doesn't say the wrong thing?):
TWO WORLDS II™ LAUNCH DELAYED; DEVELOPMENT COMPLETE

Regional Launches in North American, United Kingdom, and Australian Territories Delayed into 2011 Over Market Concerns

Las Vegas, Nevada - September 28, 2010 - TopWare Interactive announced today that publishing partner SouthPeak Interactive will postpone the launch of Two Worlds II™ until January 2011 within the North American, Australian and United Kingdom territories. The October 21st, 2010 release date (previously announced for those markets in which Zuxxez Entertainment holds publishing rights), remains steadfast and will not be postponed. The decision to delay the game within regions in which SouthPeak Interactive holds publishing rights arose primarily from concerns that the RPG genre was exceptionally crowded during the remainder of the 2010 holiday season. This created a troubling scenario which was not ideal for an independent title such as Two Worlds II™, and after careful consideration the choice was made to postpone the game.

"Since the first announcement of Two Worlds II, we've very much been branded an underdog in a genre loaded with extraordinary franchises," commented James Seaman, Managing Director at TopWare. "That said, this is a year in which we'll see many of these great series roll out their latest installments, and naturally they'll do so during the holiday season. Truth be told, fans only have so much time to spend playing these content-rich games, and there were concerns our title could potentially be lost in the fanfare. Our publishing partner SouthPeak, to their credit, has acknowledged this fact and made an adjustment, postponing their launch of Two Worlds II™ into early 2011. We truly feel that we've developed a game that is poised to push the RPG envelope in many respects, from spell-casting to multiplayer, and everyone here can't wait for the opportunity for others to share in our hard work with us."

A previous announcement made by SouthPeak claiming the game was unfinished, and was being delayed to provide additional development time is factually incorrect. All production, including QA and localizations, on Two Worlds II™ was wrapped in mid-September. Fans can rest assured the October 2010 and early 2011 releases will mirror one another in terms of content, with the exception of any patches or updates released between now and early 2011.

As development studio Reality Pump forges forward with preparations for post-launch support and downloadable content development, fans in delayed launch territories can take solace in the fact that any multiplayer balancing issues addressed or additional free content published after the October release will be included in 2011 retail launch.
While we're on this topic, The Final Dungeon has a blog post on this topic suggesting some hype had been built, which will now be wasted:
Somehow, against all odds and despite the original game’s many, many failings, Two Worlds 2 had actually managed to build some hype. Screenshots revealed an original-looking fantasy land filled with much better visuals, interesting architecture, and … dinosaurs. A completely informal and unscientific survey of message board posts and blog comments seemed to suggest that many RPG fans, even some of those burned by the first game, were ready to give Two Worlds 2 a chance. For me, at least, SouthPeak’s announcement this week deflates much of that hype.
More information.

I think they should increase the marketing during this time to keep the name out there. Also the people getting the game in October should post screenshots and videos up to help keep the game going.

So, where exactly is it being released then? Any place with an English translation?

A couple thoughts:

1. These delays and various stories about the delays are making me even more skeptical about this game. I was cautiously optimistic, now I'm downright suspicious. Something's not right. The first one sucked, period.

2. Why are people here so concerned about marketing and hype? You either buy and play a game or you don't. What difference does it make how well the game is marketed? I'm puzzled by this attitude. It's the same for Hollywood movies these days… for some reason it's now considered "news" how well various films do at the box office. Why does anyone care, really? Either see the movie or don't see it. Why do people care which is #1 at the box office, or in Amazon sales, or at the game store?

For me, it's all about GoGamer and if they offer in October. Other wise based on the games coming out in the next few month, 2Worlds2 will be a early summer buy. What southpeak should be doing is trying to get some FREE DLC included with the January release. But since they are only the publisher and not the developer, that type of scenario is not likely to happen.

The decision to delay the game within regions in which SouthPeak Interactive holds publishing rights arose primarily from concerns that the RPG genre was exceptionally crowded during the remainder of the 2010 holiday season.

Not sure I see the logic behind that. If they're worried that someone might buy Fallout instead of Two Worlds II, well they'll do that for sure now since Two Worlds II isn't around. They take a chance people will still have cash to spend in January. Could it be instead they feel they have a better chance to grab awards in 2011?
Well anyway, I'm disappointed because Two Worlds II was the only game I was looking to buy in the near future and would have played it over the holidays.

1. The first one sucked, period.

2. Why do people care which is #1 at the box office, or in Amazon sales, or at the game store?

1. No, it did not suck. The German version was the best open world solo (A)RPG I have played until today. The German voice over was outstanding. And I tried them all. It also had quite modest hardware requierments - and that's a good thing.

2. Because most people don't care to much about entertainment media (and don't spend as long as we do on certain web sites) as we do. If a movie does well at the box office then people think: "I don't know jack $hit about that flick, but if suits many Joe Sixpacks then it should sit well with me, too."

Two Worlds was quite flawed, but it definitely didn't "suck, period."

I've been playing it these past two days, and I'm surprised how good it actually is. I highly recommend it, now that the "Epic Edition" is so cheap. It's a good game to tie you over until the upcoming big CRPGs are released.

Amazone.de offers the Multilingual version of the Royal Edition on 21st of October.

It contains five language packs : English, German, French, Spanish, Italian.

Cheers
G.

Two Worlds made a poor first impression, and had some rough edges, but after giving it some time, I found it to be pretty good. Not up to Gothic-standards, but far more interesting than Oblivion, in my opinion. A very good first attempt at the open world RPG genre from Reality Pump. I'm looking forward to see how TW2 turns out. Perhaps it will be Reality Pump's "Gothic 2"?

Kay

Two Worlds made a poor first impression, and had some rough edges, but after giving it some time, I found it to be pretty good. Not up to Gothic-standards, but far more interesting than Oblivion, in my opinion. A very good first attempt at the open world RPG genre from Reality Pump. I'm looking forward to see how TW2 turns out. Perhaps it will be Reality Pump's "Gothic 2"?

Kay

Not to pick nits, and I largely agree - but I actually consider the first Gothic to be PB's masterpiece…

Not to pick nits, and I largely agree - but I actually consider the first Gothic to be PB's masterpiece…
Fair enough, it certainly is an excellent game. I know there are some differing opinions on which Gothic is the best, and although I get the impression Gothic 2 (especially with NOTR) is most people's favorite, it is not something I could claim as fact.

Actually, I think Gothic 3 deserves to be mentioned too. Despite all its flaws, in some ways it was arguably an improvement over its predecessors, and it had a lot of ambition and unfulfilled potential. I've actually played through it more times than the first Gothic.

Kay

Fair enough, it certainly is an excellent game. I know there are some differing opinions on which Gothic is the best, and although I get the impression Gothic 2 (especially with NOTR) is most people's favorite, it is not something I could claim as fact.

Actually, I think Gothic 3 deserves to be mentioned too. Despite all its flaws, in some ways it was arguably an improvement over its predecessors, and it had a lot of ambition and unfulfilled potential. I've actually played through it more times than the first Gothic.

Kay

Agreed again.

I'd rather play Gothic 3 patched than G2:NotR - actually.

But that's mostly because I enjoy large freeform worlds and detailed character systems, more than the comparatively "rigid" structure of G2.

If only the combat system wasn't so flawed - even with the patches.

Gothic 2 was a great game, no doubt. A refinement of the original formula.

Still, at the end of the day - it was more of the same, and simply not "new" enough for my tastes.

I tend to want bigger steps, rather than retreading the same material over and over again.

To me, Gothic was nearly perfect for what it was. Gothic 2 was just bigger, without really adding anything new to the formula. The technical upgrade was hardly noticable, on top of that. IIRC, it also had a relatively short development cycle, which tells me this was very deliberate and the "safe" choice.

Gothic 3 was a bold step, and I think it has some of the best world design I've ever seen. The character system was much more interesting, even if it was sadly broken. I really liked the idea of liberating towns - and the reputation based faction rewards.

Risen was back to basics, but at least it was an entirely new place - and a new character system. Also, it was quite accomplished, technically. Still, it was a slight disappointment to me - because it was the same old thing.

But I think it was the RIGHT choice for PB. They needed a foothold with the new franchise - and I'm hoping Risen 2 will be something MORE than the Gothic 2 of the Risen franchise.

We'll see :)

Gothic 3 sort of reminded me of a modern day Daggerfall. Incredibly ambitious, but horribly flawed at the same time.

Just like Daggerfall, the final patched version can be a lot of fun, but there are still fundamental flaws that constantly remind you of its shortcomings. For me, the flaws were enough that I found myself burned out before I could even finish the game.

I went ahead and ordered the game from the German site also- no waiting for me

Gothic 1 just had something really gritty about it- Right from the opening movie where Xardas is talking about creating the barrier there was a sense of urgency along with the fact you are stuck in a prison colony to really create a great story. Along with the punch to the face. No game has ever sucked me in like that even though Gothic 2 was certainly interesting. I loved getting owned by the guys outside the camp in the beginning cause it told me this was going to be something special. I didn't expect the combat could just leave you unconscious while the NPC's looted you

The hardest part was waiting for it to come to the Usa after I played the demo

I booted it up again last night for the first time in probably 7 years and my wife had to yell several times at me to come to bed. With old graphics and all. Stil magic

In sweden it's still listed as october 22. Maybe scandinavia will be a good place to get an english version. I've never heard of a game being translated to swedish/danish/norwegian so why not get on a plane to scandinavia and see the sights, and buy Two Worlds 2. Or just set a proxy and buy it online.

No I hate to mention the dark side of PC gaming but I honestly cannot believe that people are going to wait 4 months to play a game that is released in English in one region. It will certainly harm sales by delaying the UK/USA/Aus releases....surely they also have to hold back the EU release date as well?

Back
Top Bottom