RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Baldur's Gate 3 - Panel From Hell 3 Livestream
View Single Post

July 10th, 2021, 09:28
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
@JFarrell71, @Redglyph

Regarding backstab, I guess the both of you are talking past each other. I think we all have played Solasta and know how it implemented the 5e rules rather faithfully. Anyway, this is probably the gist of the matter:

1. Backstab != Sneak Attack. D&D 5E has sneak attack. AD&D 2E had backstab. Backstab worked only from stealth and from behind the target. Sneak attack, as described above, works for all attacks in which you have advantage.
2. BG3 does have a backstab mechanic, however, on top of the normal 5E rules, by giving advantage simply for attacking from behind the target, even if you are alone and the target is not engaged with someone else. You don't even have to be hidden for it to work, just walk around the target.

At least that's my understanding. If so, it sounds very cheesy. Haven't played the EA myself, just read lots and lots of complaints about the homebrew rules, which I generally agree with. I'm guessing there's still too many mechanics left over from D:OS that can't or at least shouldn't be translated 1:1 to the 5E ruleset.
Exactly so!

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)