Nvidia 2070 RTX or AMD 5700 XT

Tactician

Watchdog
They are really similar in price if you can find the deals. The differences are that the 2070 has ray tracing, the 5700XT has minimal ray tracing-like effects, but has a bit faster fps and it can process max res textures about 60% faster, thoughts?

They are really similar in price if you can find the deals. The differences are that the 2070 has ray tracing, the 5700XT has minimal ray tracing-like effects, but has a bit faster fps and it can process max res textures about 60% faster, thoughts?
I'm far from an expert on these things but I think Ray tracing effects won't be seen in many games for a few more years. If you are likely to upgrade again in the next a few years or so then I'd go for the faster one today and look at the state of the market and games in a few years.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I guess in the end it will come down to taste. The performance without raytracing is also very similar. Personally I always found NVIDIA Cards more reliable.

vdoEWb9xAPSqwbUsMt28S9-970-80.png

Also in about 2 weeks the new generation by nvidia will be announced btw. Now if you want to wait that long is a different topic. ^^

I have a plain 1080 that's overclocked and my numbers seem to be just a smidge under the TI in most cases. Since I don't own a single game that even stressed this card, I'm going to wait till I buy a whole new box. I do that every 3 or so years. I'm an Nvidia guy all the way.

AMD just seems to hate me. Every time I give them a shot, I end up having driver issues, black screens, random BSOD's etc. I'm sure it's a good company, but their hardware hates me ;) I should confess that my stuff has to work in both gaming and company environments. I'm a pilot for most of my company's software and I will often "pre-test" stuff I think the company might use.

My gaming computer died recently. I've had Nvidia 2070s, (and then had to buy a new monitor). I'm really pleased with the graphics, playing Divinity OS2 and seeing lots of detail. I did have some shuddering, lag with Outer Worlds on old PC and that's now skipping along smoothly. I think the previous card was Nvidia 970. It wasn't any loyalty to Nvidia but the price range & availability in the store that prompted my selection.
But what's with the sparkly lights on "gaming" PCs. It looks pretty but it's under the desk sparkling away to itself and the dust.

My gaming computer died recently. I've had Nvidia 2070s, (and then had to buy a new monitor). I'm really pleased with the graphics, playing Divinity OS2 and seeing lots of detail. I did have some shuddering, lag with Outer Worlds on old PC and that's now skipping along smoothly. I think the previous card was Nvidia 970. It wasn't any loyalty to Nvidia but the price range & availability in the store that prompted my selection.
But what's with the sparkly lights on "gaming" PCs. It looks pretty but it's under the desk sparkling away to itself and the dust.

Well, these days you almost pay extra if you want to avoid RGB ^^

I think the important differences between the two is that the Nvidia 2070 rtx supports ray tracing, useful in 1st person action games and triple A action rpgs, and the AMD 5700 xt can produce quite higher res textures according to user benchmarks at a similar framerate so the question would be which one is more important.

Parallax
Parallax occlusion mapping (Stones)
2070 rtx 462 fps
5700xt 871 fps Hugely better peak texture detail.+89%

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/4029vs4045

AMD just seems to hate me. Every time I give them a shot, I end up having driver issues, black screens, random BSOD's etc.

This is me. I bought a new desktop gaming rig late last year and put a 5700XT in it. It was fast and pretty, except for the multiple hard lockups at random intervals that happened several times a day. I ripped the 5700XT out and replaced it with the old Nvidia 970 from my old machine and it's been rock-solid ever since. I suppose that when I want to play something new enough that the 970 won't hack it I'll have to upgrade to something else, maybe a 2070 Super.

Bottom line, though, is that in my experience the AMD drivers for the 5700XT are so bad they render the card unusable. Their inability to produce a stable driver has led to an expensive piece of hardware literally sitting on a shelf in my office. I should probably nail the damn thing to the wall to remind me the next time I think about buying AMD hardware.

Years back I had problems with AMD but nowadays not so much. To me it all comes down to value and AMD beats NVIDIA at the price point with less features. So AMD for me.

I can live without full ray tracing support for my games it's not necessary.

I can live without ray tracing. I can't live with a machine that locks up when I try to use it for more than 20 minutes in a row, which is what I got with my 5700XT. AMD's value to me was negative; I am literally going to pay to not have to use their product even though I already own it.

All other things being equal, get the one that runs cooler.
I usually buy XFX or the Sapphire brand but certain models have over heating problems just like the older 580/590 cards. Seems hit or miss with every new generation.
I can live without ray tracing. I can't live with a machine that locks up when I try to use it for more than 20 minutes in a row, which is what I got with my 5700XT. AMD's value to me was negative; I am literally going to pay to not have to use their product even though I already own it.
I feel for ya but like I said I have no problems mostly with AMD cards. It's just like those who have bugs in games and others don't, or to put it simply apples and oranges.

Personally had a Radeon Sapphire several years ago and it had some problems, where there were small white dots in all shadows. But thats a while ago.
But from Support Experience especially AMD Drivers cause much more problems than NVIDIA. The last big issues are already years ago, but still.
All my experiences point towards avoiding AMD Graphics. Regarding CPUs it's a different story. Before Ryzen I didn't experience anything bad there. Since Ryzen there had been issues, but nothing I experienced first or second hand.

Personally had a Radeon Sapphire several years ago and it had some problems, where there were small white dots in all shadows. But thats a while ago.
But from Support Experience especially AMD Drivers cause much more problems than NVIDIA. The last big issues are already years ago, but still.
All my experiences point towards avoiding AMD Graphics. Regarding CPUs it's a different story. Before Ryzen I didn't experience anything bad there. Since Ryzen there had been issues, but nothing I experienced first or second hand.
Yeah the drivers used to be terrible compared to Nivida but have improved.

It helps that the last few consoles are using AMD as well.

AMD just released a new CPU that's almost as fast as Intel's latest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom