The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

This is probably the most ridiculous guitar playing Ive ever seen. Stevie was beyond amazing. If you dont want to watch the whole thing, at least skip up to the 7:30 mark

This song from an extremely underrated album is absolute awesomeness;

Yield To Temptation (The Embrace That Smothers, part 3) by After Forever from their debut album "Prison of Desire".

Floor Jansen, the front woman of this now defunct band - and one of the best female metal vocalists out there IMO, is now actually standing in as the main vocalist for Nightwish. Here's hoping they make it permanent.

I agree, Prison of Desire is a criminally underrated albumn within the symphonic femme-lead metal genre. Powerful, excellent album, one of the best of it's type. Too bad the band lost it's focus later and dissolved

Still stuck on Virgin Black. Have had both Sombre Romantic and Elegant and Dying stuck in my truck cd player for weeks, I love them both. Great symphonic gothic metal w/ some nice doomy sections.

Our wings are burning
all is lost but hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope!!!!!!!1 (intense shit!)

poets tears of porcelin (some of the best mournful soloing ever, awesome)

lamenting kiss

Last edited:
Gah, must restore the balance…

Did a little Youtube crawl and found this semi-new tune. Good stuff.
"We Ran" by Orange Yellow Red

And maybe something with a touch of snarl to go with the wash
"New York" by A Shoreline Dream

Last edited:
Really liking that OYR song, but that's got to be the ugliest bass I've ever seen. :)

That song made me think of this one:
"Burning Hearts" by My Favorite

One of those chain of thought journeys led me to this. The Chapman Stick is a rather unique instrument. I have a soft spot for this particular piece as I got to perform the Toccota (widely known as the Phantom of the Opera song) on an honest-to-goodness pipe organ back in the day.

So folks, enjoy the highbrow moment and a crazy instrument.

Youtube linkie

edit- OK, it just gets weirder!
Glass Harp version

Last edited:
I can't get enough of these guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNlRqyUV4ss
… hehehe, they're sooo Nightwish, just without the irritating female warbler. And I love their provocative focus on war topics ^^.

One of those chain of thought journeys led me to this. The Chapman Stick is a rather unique instrument. I have a soft spot for this particular piece as I got to perform the Toccota (widely known as the Phantom of the Opera song) on an honest-to-goodness pipe organ back in the day.

So folks, enjoy the highbrow moment and a crazy instrument.

Youtube linkie

edit- OK, it just gets weirder!
Glass Harp version

I love the Stick - a friend of mine got one when they were the hot new thing back in the early 80s and it was a blast playing it ... here is the first really popular use - Tony Levin in King Crimson in 1981 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-mi8xhanBI

I can't get enough of these guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNlRqyUV4ss
… hehehe, they're sooo Nightwish, just without the irritating female warbler. And I love their provocative focus on war topics ^^.

COOL JaZZY! That made my day!
I have to listen to that again, I'm rockin out! :boogie:

you gotta just love true "heavy metal" that isnt afraid to be metal, just total fist-pumping anthem metal, I cant not smile while watching that vid

Glad to hear you liked it (hehe, I thought you probably would). Ah, Power Metal is so uplifting :). You should check out other stuff by Sabaton - I have five of their albums. Their biggest 'hit' would be Primo Victoria ... here in the Hellgate London video version ...

Sabaton is a decent enough Heavy Metal band, absolutely. I am especially fond of the album "Coat of Arms" with HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE songs such as "Uprising". Good stuff.

Here is "The Departure" by another underrated and now defunct band, Abigail Williams.

Nobody likes balance.

Back
Top Bottom