Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
But when several quests with some "oh, and hurry." comment, what am I expected to do? There's simply not enough information to set priorities.

You have to make decisions on them. Some of the lesser quests might not be as important if some big, bad thing is happening. It's the way of the baron, choices must be made and time is key. You have to be careful how much you spend resting and doing kingdom activities and balance that with exploring.

Which just means that decisions come down to random guessing. Maybe that's quite realistic.

I kinda would like less realism in that case. The time limits are frustrating.

You might have a couple of issues that you have to resolve simultaneously, but I've never been seriously pressed for time as of yet. When you have weeks or months to address the problems, I've found that to be more than sufficient, at least so far.

The problem is: You never know whether you should feel pressed. The game does not give that information. That's the thing about hidden time outs. Hence my question.

One example: I received the quest Lost Brother, one week before I was able to travel into the area where it is supposed to be solved. And it seems to fail shortly after that.

That's an inconsequential quest, but companion and main quests also frequently have those kind of limits. You do not even get an approximation of the allowed time.

Oh man… is there a list somewhere with all quests and their hidden time limits? This is kind of annoying.

I thought only the main quest in each chapter is timed? For chapter 1 - Stag's lord. For chapter 2 - The ancient curse part 1 to 2. For chapter 3 - the ancient curse part 3 to 4. That's as far as I got so far.

The kingdom starts to crumble roughly about a month before each curse starts (timer runs out), so be sure to be back at your capital day or so before new month begins when timer is close to 30 days

The problem is: You never know whether you should feel pressed. The game does not give that information. That's the thing about hidden time outs. Hence my question.

One example: I received the quest Lost Brother, one week before I was able to travel into the area where it is supposed to be solved. And it seems to fail shortly after that.

That's an inconsequential quest, but companion and main quests also frequently have those kind of limits. You do not even get an approximation of the allowed time.

Only main quests have hard timers. Some companion quests do, too, but it's up to you to manage that. I haven't failed any companion quests due to time limits all the way up to Chapter 3, or really any other timed quest yet. What I did discover and what caught me off guard was that each chapter is timed, so it's important to act on that, first. And if you failed a quest that you say yourself is inconsequential, it's no big deal. But I received that quest and waited months, found the brother and still had the option to return the news to the other brother, so I didn't notice that one failing. But in my game
I found the brother dead
, which was probably time related.

And to be fair, he does say he vanished so it's probably pretty important. Same as when the child disappears. They won't live forever like in other RPGs, you have to prioritize the most important ones (to you).

Nearly all major quests are timed, but only the curses have a visible timer. At least some companion quests, and some (one?) artisan quests also seem to be timed. And some of the "unrelated" side quests are also timed. (I am getting a bit obsessive about this. Which is exactly why I hate time limits. And this game has loads of those.)

But I received that quest and waited months, found the brother and still had the option to return the news to the other brother, so I didn't notice that one failing.

The brother was also dead for me. But it failed because the quest giver left my capital earlier, maybe two weeks after receiving the quest. It's an event where he basically just says goodbye to the baron. It's odd that this did not happen for you. Maybe there's some other variables that matter, like the status of the main quests or some kingdom stat.

Nearly all major quests are timed, but only the curses have a visible timer. At least some companion quests, and some artisan quests also seem to be timed. And some of the "unrelated" side quests are also timed.

The brother was also dead for me. But it failed because the quest giver left my capital earlier, maybe two weeks after receiving the quest. It's an event where he basically just says goodbye to the baron. It's odd that this did not happen for you. Maybe there's some other variables that matter, like the status of the main quests or some kingdom stat.

I know there's a lot going on behind the scenes so who knows. But I seemed to be able to complete it still, but I didn't have time to go back and deliver the news. This is where I truly discovered how you have to heed the warnings of your advisors and urgent warnings. And yes, most quests are timed, but not all. Main quests for sure, some companion quests (although I didn't notice which ones for sure were timed except a couple, the ones that seemed more urgent I found out were timed), and didn't run into any other problems because I usually did something at the kingdom then took a few days to adventure and do quests. And I tried to adventure in the region where the quest areas were together to do a few at a time.

I found the guy dead too - don't think anyone can find him alive. But the quest giver stayed in my kingdom and provided me with further quest. Yeah, could be the state of kingdom. Interesting

Tip: If you return to the capital after Vordakais tomb, make sure your party is rested.

My party was dead tired, including Amiri, who left for the fight with the barbarians… and when I meet her a few days later: still tired. No way to fix it. And she has to run solo for the quest. Now I'll probably have to reload at least 2 hours old save, unless I manage to somehow cheat/cheese my way through the barbarian camp. Gnnnh.

Btw one of the cooking receipe slows down travel fatigue. It was called cheese crostata

Last edited:
I found the guy dead too - don't think anyone can find him alive. But the quest giver stayed in my kingdom and provided me with further quest. Yeah, could be the state of kingdom. Interesting

There's so many intricate behind the scenes mechanics, it's really something. It's a very complex game and we probably don't even know the half of it, lol.

Here's the list of food buffs that I know of:
Haggis: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Harrim's favourite)
Onion soup: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Jubilost's favourite)
Shepherd's pie: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Tristian's favourite)
Sweet pancakes: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Linzi's favourite)
Rice-n-nut pudding: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Octavia's favourite)
Jeweled rice: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Jaethal's favourite)
Seasoned wings and thighs: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (Amiri's favaourite)
Succulent Sausage: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (???'s favaourite)
Hunter's roast: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (Ekundayo's favourite)
Galt ragout: reduces penalty from fighting defensively by half a day (Valerie's favourite)
Cheese crostata: +5 bonus to lore (religion) checks for a day (Harrim's favourite)
Grilled silver eel: +5 bonus to trickey checks for a day (Jubilost's favourite)
Chocolate ice cream: +5 bonus to knowledge (world) checks for a day (Linzi's favourite)
Owlbear omelet: +1 bonus on attack rolls for a day (Ekundayo's favourite)

I'm sure there are more recipes out there. Feel free to add to the list (or correct me if I'm wrong on any of above).

EDIT: I think "personal favourite" buff is different to general buff.. for example, cheese crostata reduces travel fatigue for everyone but for Harrim it also gives +5 bonus to lore (religion) check

Question, if you solve main quests early, does that mean you "lose" time you could have used exploring because the timer for the next main quest will start immediately after the first?

Last edited:
As long as you don't "hand in" the quest, the chapter doesn't end and you can continue to explore. Just be sure to actually hand in the quest before the timer expires or you will lose the game.

E.g. After you kill Stag lord, the chapter 1 won't end until you inform Oleg and head to Restov.

Here's the list of food buffs that I know of:
Haggis: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Harrim's favourite)
Onion soup: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Jubilost's favourite)
Shepherd's pie: +1 bonus on all savings throw for a day (Tristian's favourite)
Sweet pancakes: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Linzi's favourite)
Rice-n-nut pudding: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Octavia's favourite)
Jeweled rice: +5 bonus on movement speed for a day (Jaethal's favourite)
Seasoned wings and thighs: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (Amiri's favaourite)
Succulent Sausage: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (???'s favaourite)
Hunter's roast: 1 temporary hit point per level for a day (Ekundayo's favourite)
Galt ragout: reduces penalty from fighting defensively by half a day (Valerie's favourite)
Cheese crostata: +5 bonus to lore (religion) checks for a day (Harrim's favourite)
Grilled silver eel: +5 bonus to trickey checks for a day (Jubilost's favourite)
Chocolate ice cream: +5 bonus to knowledge (world) checks for a day (Linzi's favourite)
Owlbear omelet: +1 bonus on attack rolls for a day (Ekundayo's favourite)

I'm sure there are more recipes out there. Feel free to add to the list (or correct me if I'm wrong on any of above).

EDIT: I think "personal favourite" buff is different to general buff.. for example, cheese crostata reduces travel fatigue for everyone but for Harrim it also gives +5 bonus to lore (religion) check

Wow, those are good buffs and here I've been neglecting cooking. I usually hunt, camo and guard, but i'm going to have to start having linzi or someone cook this stuff up!

Ok, in all honesty, timer is starting to annoy the hell out of me.

I just went through a massive rant session because of hidden timer for Ekun's personal quest. It was absolutely ridiculous.

I was told Ekun went to hunt giants for revenge. I go to the location, help him out (really though, he could easily handle those by himself). Talk to him, he asks me to meet him to perform some ritual. On the way there, timer expires and I fail the quest. WTF? So I loaded up earlier save, burn my rations to get there earlier. Finished ritual. He asks me to come talk to him back at capital. On the way back, timer expires and quest fails. WTF? Seriously???

TLDR: I wasted 2 hours to juggle everything to finish his bloody quest before the timer expired. Now I am paranoid who else will leave me due to this stupid hidden timers.

That's a great tip. I wish the recipes showed what they did.

They sort of do, but it's borked at the moment. What you do is start the resting process, click on manage, select your recipe, click continue, then click manage again, now the tooltip of the selected recipe should update with the effects. Rinse and repeat until you memorize what each recipe does so you don't have to go through this nonsense again :D

Back
Top Bottom