Geneforge - Live on Kickstarter

Stoneshard went the way of lower graphics, remains to be seen if they deliver.

I playes a few hours of the "early access" (a really shitty, steamy and marketing term for buyable demos) last night.
It's pretty good: deep RPG systems, cute but gory pixel art, realistic medieval weaponry, godblessed turn-based combats…
Need more variety for enemy types and biodomes though (for now, it's bandits, wolfes, vampires and undeads in the forest)

Last edited:
The problem here most refuse to accept is - getting the new audience.

Again, Jeff has addressed this. There is a difference between *maintaining* an audience and *growing* the audience - but BOTH require new buyers.

There are people HERE who are younger and consider themselves ‘hardcore RPG fans’ and have never played a SpiderWeb game. And others who no longer buy his new games for any of a variety of reasons. Yet aside from his late-90s peak with Exile 3, his games have sold pretty steadily through all of that churn.

But ... he continues to do pretty well - he has essentially grown the audience through remasters and adding the iPad to the mix. At first the iPad actually hurt his revenue (‘race for the bottom’) but things have leveled off, and he has discussed how his pricing and delivery is at a sweet spot - allows him to maintain his business exactly how he wants it.

In case I didn't respond back then - everyone has every right to run a business the way they want to. Playing safe is a valid option. But when it comes to my attitude towards videogames design, I want to see some risks. Stalling the technology progress is something I can't support as it's not a part of my nature.

Most modern games in ISO perspective do look a lot better - bot what does this contribute to the game? Especially if you could decide to do less good visuals and put the money in other areas of game development.

He's been recycling the same games for years now, so he's obviously not putting much money into other areas of game development.

Back
Top Bottom