The Witcher 2 - DRM Free From GOG

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
According to Eurogamer, GoG will be selling The Witcher 2 without any DRM what-so-ever. I expected Baldur's Gate 2 to be released after they started selling Black Isle's old games, but I never expected The Witcher 2 without any DRM.
Here is what Eurogamer had to say:
Polish company CD Projekt will break the Good Old Games mould by selling The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings there next May, Eurogamer can exclusively reveal.
Until now, Good Old Games had focused on adapting retro titles for today's operating systems.
But sources have told us that on 17th May, The Witcher 2 will be found there. What's more, the gritty action RPG will be completely DRM-free.
The news is expected to be made official this evening at a CD Project press conference.
Good Old Games and The Witcher 2 are of course both made by CD Projekt. Perhaps convergence was inevitable.
More information.

This is good news.Easy to buy and easy to install.If only other developers thought this way.

Slap me silly and call me Rhonda! The Witcher 2 without any DRM at all. It's official, I'm in bizarro world. First I'm excited about a NEW Commodore 64 game and now this. What's next? Maybe Frayed Knights will be released tomorrow :D

Do they have the first Witcher?

No. I don't even know if they have the right to put it on GOG?
It is CDProjekt's game. It's an in-house development (CDProjekt RED) with Gog also being a CDProjekt creation. They are the publisher for at least Poland, so yes, I would say they have the right to do it.

It's not been unheard of for Gog to put more recent games on (Fantasy Wars, King's Bounty, Two Worlds, for example, but for it to be the launch platform for a game is quite interesting at the very least.

Well, that sorts it up about where i'm going to get the game then ;)

Perhaps if it does REALY REALY well, the rest of the publishers will start seeing that using DRM is in fact worse for them.

That is brave. And even if i didnt really really want to buy Witcher 2 anyway. I would buy it just on grounds of that decision.

It is CDProjekt's game. It's an in-house development (CDProjekt RED) with Gog also being a CDProjekt creation. They are the publisher for at least Poland, so yes, I would say they have the right to do it.

It's not been unheard of for Gog to put more recent games on (Fantasy Wars, King's Bounty, Two Worlds, for example, but for it to be the launch platform for a game is quite interesting at the very least.

Sorry, I was talking about the first Witcher game. My internet was acting up so I couldn't edit my post.

I mean that Atari was the publisher, which could make it harder to put the first game on GOG, or am I wrong?

Anyway: May 17 = my birthday! Wohoo! I'm gonna ask my girlfriend for this game as my birthday present!

I mean that Atari was the publisher, which could make it harder to put the first game on GOG, or am I wrong?
Atari were the publisher outside of Poland, but it's still the property of CDProjekt. I can't see why The Witcher wouldn't be able to be on Gog.

'Digital premium' version is now available to pre-order from Steam (in the UK at least) too. Same price as store pre-orders for the normal game. Says 8gb for install and 8gb for bonus content, without any elaboration of what such content is.

Edit probably digital version of the premium :p

http://buy.thewitcher.com/premium.php

Site also lists the DLC available for different stores, and a newly compiled gameplay trailer (gameplay isn't new, the compilation is I think though)

The sequel to one of my all-time favorite games released Day 1 on my new favoritestest website???

It's on like Donkey Kong, baby!

(wait, do I have to pay yet to use that expression?)

Very bold move indeed. I am going to support that with buying two copies of the game. One boxed version, and one from gog.

Whoa, didn't see that one coming. I found the first Witcher to be a somewhat of a breath of fresh air. The gritty world it sketched made a nice change from most of the PG13-rated High Fantasy worlds we so often traverse. Didn't finish it though.. I lost my saves after a system crash. Maybe I ought to pick it up once more?

Back
Top Bottom