Elder Scrolls Online - News Roundup #5

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The folllowing articles for The Elder Scrolls Online all deal with the announcement that the game will require a subscription, and have microtransactions.

EuroGamer

The Elder Scrolls Online director Matt Firor has explained to Eurogamer why Zenimax Online Studios has decided to charge a monthly subscription for the massively multiplayer online role-playing game at a time when most observers consider the business model outdated.

Zenimax raised eyebrows this week when it announced that it will charge £8.99 / $14.99 a month to play TESO when it launches in the spring of 2014 - that's across PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
Forbes

Earlier this morning, Paul Tassi reported that upcoming MMO The Elder Scrolls Online will use a subscription-fee model, charging users monthly for access to the game.

Paul quotes ZeniMax’s Matt Firor, who told Gamestar that “players will appreciate not having to worry about being “monetized” in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days.”

Like Paul, I agree that the constant monetization is annoying. Also, like Paul, I think that this doesn’t change some hard facts about the MMO market Elder Scrolls Online is facing. Gone are the days of just a handful of high quality pay-to-play MMOs and a rabble of low-quality free-to-play titles.
US Gamer

The problem is others have tried to climb that Mt. Olympus only to get smacked back down to Earth. The list of MMOs that have gone free-to-play stretches on into the void: Everquest, Everquest II, Lord of the Rings Online, DC Universe Online, Rift, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, The Secret World, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Tera. I've played and enjoyed most of them, I admit. The problem is when it came time for me to start paying monthly, it never happened.

During the launch of most of these titles, I was subscribed to World of Warcraft, so that's part of the problem. I was once a raider, but those days are long gone. I don't play WoW everyday or even every week, but it's comfort food: I like it there when I need it. When I run my monthly budget - games journalists don't make a ton! - certain fixed monthly charges are just always there: Phone bill, Netflix, Spotify, and World of Warcraft. I've subbed to Rift, Champions Online, The Secret World, and Star Wars: The Old Republic for a month or two, but nothing has particularly captured my complete attention and their $15 charge wasn't completely off my radar like WoW's is.
And finally Bluesnews has a post with information, and links that the game will also have microtransactions.

More information.

Happy to pay...as long as the game provides entertainment and interest.

But I'm fairly easy to please so most likely will be subbing for a substantial length of time.

If that's what it'll take for them to provide the best/fullest most accessible and enjoyable game they can...I think they made the right decision.

Anyone with "real" interest can scrape up $15 a month, I would think quite easily.

Looking forward to diving into a whole new world to explore and quest through!

Rol

Happy to pay…as long as the game provides entertainment and interest.

But I'm fairly easy to please so most likely will be subbing for a substantial length of time.

If that's what it'll take for them to provide the best/fullest most accessible and enjoyable game they can…I think they made the right decision.

Anyone with "real" interest can scrape up $15 a month, I would think quite easily.

Looking forward to diving into a whole new world to explore and quest through!

Rol

Well said. Sums up my thoughts pretty well, although I probably won't subscribe for a long period of time. Usually with games, I play them heavily for a month or two, maybe three, and then I'm finished with them. This goes for MMOs as well. The nice thing is, if in the future I ever get the urge to revisit the game, I can simply pick up my subscription then and won't miss a beat.

Very pleased they are going with subs, I thought even GW2's buy to play with cosmetic microtransactions model lead to some unfortunate decisions that affect gameplay. Also hope ESO learned from GW2's mistakes - don't push all your players into a tiny endgame area where the only thing to do is farm mats for cosmetic weapons etc...

Back
Top Bottom