Tales of Maj'Eyal - Forbidden Cults Teaser

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Tales of Maj'Eyal has a new expansion in the works called Forbidden Cults.

Forbidden Cults makes two new classes available to play:

• Writhing One: Give in to the corrupting forces and turn yourself gradually into an horror, summon horrors to do your bidding, shed your skin and melt your face to assault your foes. With your arm already turned into a tentacle, what creature can stop you?
  • Cultist of Entropy: Using its insanity and control of entropic forces to unravel the normal laws of physic this caster class can turn healing into attacks and call upon the forces of the void to reduce its foes to dust.
Both those classes use a new resource called Insanity that gradually makes you both more chaotic and powerful as it fills up.

Forbidden Cults makes two new races available to play:

• Drem: A corrupt subrace of dwarves, that somehow managed to keep a shred of sanity to not fully devolve into mindless horrors. They can enter a frenzy and even learn to summon horrors.
  • Krog: Ogres transformed by the very thing that should kill them. Their powerful attacks can stun their foes and they are so strong they can dual wield any one handed weapons.
Forbidden Cults adds many new zones for you to explore and die in:

• Kroshkkur: An ancient Sher'tul Fortress laying half in ruins that serves as a focal point, and home, for all kinds of creatures seeking lost knowledge.
  • The Maggot: A huge living corrupted worm about to destroy Kroshkkur! Teleport inside and save your sanctuary of horrors!
  • The Godfeaster: Deep undergroud the ground shakes as ... -- redacted by corrupt forces --
  • The Scourge Pits: On the south of the Iron Throne lays a fool pit of ... -- redacted by corrupt forces --
  • Forbidden Tomes: Find special artifact books of ancient lore. But, read at your own peril, for the story they tell may very well suck you in... quite literally. Maybe you will even find The One That Writes...
  • Occult Egress: A strange, extremely old, contraption of unknown origin. It seems to require some kind of code sequence to activate. Maybe you will find some during your adventures?
  • The Entropic Void: So you think you are strong? Powerful? Invulnerable? In the end, entropy always wins, as you will learn...
What would an expansion about horrors be without a bunch of new horrors to torment you with? Please give a warm welcome to:

• Searing Horrors: You liked luminous horrors? You loved radiant horrors? You will absolutely adore their searing big brothers!
  • Nethergates: It sleeps. Maybe it should stay that way.
  • Netherworms: Vampiric worm masses that are bound to tickle your fancy! And tickle hard.
  • Fearful Symmetry: Geometry has never been so lively!
  • Entropic Shards: Take an entropic crystal, shatter it with tentacles. And die.
  • And more ...
"DarkGod, is that all?" Obviously not! You will also find your usual addition of:

• Lore: Delve into the dark forgotten secrets of the world, where sanity is a very tenuous idea. Learn the true nature and origin of the dwarven race.
  • Artifacts: Discover new objects of power and use them to further your own goals.
  • New wyrmic tree: Unlock the scourge drake for your wyrmics.
  • Glass Golem: Unlock the glass golem option for your alchemists.
  • Events: Discover new strange contraptions in familiar zones. What could go wrong?
  • Achievements: Because there can never be enough!

I, DarkGod, am both happy and proud to announce Tales of Maj'Eyal next expansion: Forbidden Cults! Do you like horrors? Do you like tentacles?

Do you like to explore old places? Then this expansion will be just right for you!
https://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2018/02/news/announcing-tales-majeyal-next-expansion-forbidden-cults
More information.

Cool, haven't played this in awhile.

One of the top 3 roguelikes, no doubt.
And getting better and better.

Yes, sorry I was not precise enough. I was more asking about roguelike games but with a well developed background like Tales of Maj'Eyal. Story and background are mandatory for me.
FTL and Dredmor feel more like Roguelike puzzle :) A set of really well done randomly generated stuff but with no background or story: You are just supposed to die at some point but let's see how far you can go.

Yes, sorry I was not precise enough. I was more asking about roguelike games but with a well developed background like Tales of Maj'Eyal. Story and background are mandatory for me.
FTL and Dredmor feel more like Roguelike puzzle :) A set of really well done randomly generated stuff but with no background or story: You are just supposed to die at some point but let's see how far you can go.

Have you tried Invisible Inc? It really is worth checking out.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/Invisible_Inc/

I've played ALOT of roguelikes, and I'm not sure if there is really any other game quite like TOME. Invisible Inc is very good, but it's a very different type of game. TOME has an incredible amount of depth to it, but my complaint is that runs take a long time and can have a lot of repetition. Still if I had to pick a top roguelike, it would be that.

In terms of "true" roguelikes, Dungeon Crawl is also a very good. It's shorter and not as elaborate compared to TOME, but there is also much less repetition every time you replay it. There is a fair amount of depth and worldbuilding, but it's not as obvious when you first start.

Sword of the Stars The Pit is the only other one I can think of that stands out among classic roguelikes. Again, not as elaborate as TOME, but it has great pacing and is good at making all your exploration and battles seem meaningful.

Looks like 9th Dawn which I’m playing now. I’m not sure what the definition of Rogue
Like is. 9th Dawn has quests and a save capability. But graphics and hectic combat are similar.

Back
Top Bottom