THQ Nordic - Announces Jagged Alliance: Rage!

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Jagged Alliance: Rage! has been announced by THQ Nordic.

Jagged Alliance: Rage! coming this fall

15 August - THQ Nordic

The Unexpendables - Jagged Alliance: Rage! coming this fall

Vienna, Austria, August 14th, 2018: We are all getting older. Nothing bad about that, right? Well, the knees might hurt sometimes, seeing things far away gets a bit harder, and – oh, boy! - the heart is not as strong as it used to be. But we wake up every morning, go to work, business as usual: killing some bad guys, igniting the odd rebellion, overthrowing another evil dictator…

That's what the mercenaries of Jagged Alliance have been doing these past 20 years. And now Ivan Dolvich, Helmut "Grunty" Grunther, Kyle "Shadow" Simmons and the other infamous fighters have a mission again when they're stranded behind enemy lines: survive!

In Jagged Alliance: Rage! you are constantly on the brink of breakdown. Badly equipped and outnumbered, it's up to the player to lead their seasoned mercenaries in tactical turn-based missions and to light the spark of a revolution.

Jagged Alliance: Rage! - Announcement Trailer (UNCUT):
Jagged Alliance is back – With a new take on turn-based tactics, adventure elements and the well-known quirky mercenaries!

Jagged Alliance: Rage! is the first game to be published by HandyGames, the latest family member of the THQ Nordic network. HandyGames will act as an independent publisher, focussing on small and mid-sized projects or 3rd-party indie games.

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/HandyGames

Cheers
[...]
Jagged Alliance is back – With a new take on turn-based tactics, adventure elements and the well-known quirky mercenaries!

Set 20 years after the first Jagged Alliance, this spin-off lets you experience a road trip into a jungle hell to test your mind and body to the limits!

This time it’s just you and a few allies versus an entire island ruled by a drug overlord and his crazed army.

Constantly on the brink of breakdown, faced with dehydration and no support from home, you lead a team of seasoned mercenaries against vastly outnumbering armed forces.

Use tactical brilliance and guerilla tactics to destroy their structures and strengthen the island’s population to take back what is rightfully theirs.

Do you have what it takes to rise to old glory?

Features:

• 2 Player online co-op modeDeep turn-based tactical gameplay mixed with adventure elements
  • Choose a variety of tactics ranging from stealth to brute force
  • Strong character personalities with own skills, desires and personal conflicts
  • Rage skills: Unique character abilities that get more powerful over the course of the battle
  • Powerful Commanders coordinate enemy troops on the battlefields
  • Face terrifying experimental drugs and use them to manipulate your enemies
Thanks porcozaur!
More information.

huh, either a wow or ¨what a shame¨ effect for me..

Same. I can't really say I'm intrigued to play with the same mercenaries, just older with increased grumpiness stats.
And I only get to pick two?

Still, Jagged Alliance 2 is one of my favourite games ever, and if someone finally manages to do a reboot (or actually sequel in this case) right I'll love them for life. We'll see.

As long as it is UgoIgo, it will be great.

Sarcasm aside, no, just making it turn based is by no means enough to make it great. But it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain this game is going to be garbage. It's a phonegame company. <Insert Joxer Here> Look at their other games.

It's THQ Nordic guys. Nordic Games bought a lot of game IP's & developers over the years cheaply. Then go on to release games with unknown or cheap developers.

Also the developer is mostly known for MMO games such as Shadowrun: Boston Chronicles and Jagged Alliance: Online. So not much to celebrate here at all.

Last edited:
Can't say the trailer sold me but would be awesome if they could revive the past glory of JA.

Don't dig the art style and I guess systems and mechanics will dumbed down massively from what I know from JA.

Oh well, I've now gone from cautiously optimistic to sure it will suck. Thanks guys! ;)

I didn't actually look at the video but only read the text (that's what I usually do). Now having seen the video I'm inclined to agree it seems it will be pretty awful. I can live with the art direction and graphics, but that extremely silly over the top narration just screams garbage.

Looks pretty bad, the graphics are not to my liking at all. Not just that though, overall, it just seems cheesy and bargain basement to me.

I would like to see an old school type rpg developer get a hold of this franchise instead. InXile could do good things with this, for example, based on their Wasteland 2 work. (which I think is an under-rated game)

I would like to see an old school type rpg developer get a hold of this franchise instead. InXile could do good things with this, for example, based on their Wasteland 2 work. (which I think is an under-rated game)
Not a bad idea as they already have the game engine and combat systems done. They would just need to create the assets for modern jungle/urban warfare.

To bad their next game will be some type of survival online game.
Fargo believes that CRPGs will increasingly feature multiplayer – something the Original Sin games again pioneered – and Wasteland 3 will be the first in the series with a co-op campaign. “Every metric [suggests it will get] more and more difficult to do a single player game. You’ll see more multiplayer [in CRPGs], but the trick is for us to not give up the depth.”

His desire for multiplayer action and more emergent gameplay will culminate in a “secret project” to be unveiled later this year, he tells me, which will combine inXile’s love for storytelling with the freedom of a multiplayer sandbox game such as DayZ or Rust. Those games often simulate the breakdown of a post-apocalyptic society perfectly, but have stories that are often just: “Here’s a rock, go,” he says.

“I’ve been completely fascinated by the emergent gameplay that comes from open-world systems, but yet we love storytelling, and so we want to explore how we might be able to merge those worlds,” he explains.

The idea of a sandbox game with writing that’s as good as Tides of Numenera is exciting, and Fargo is not the only one pursuing the idea. Underworld Ascendant is Otherside Entertainment’s sequel to the Ultima Underworld games from the early ‘90s, and it’s part RPG, part immersive sim, and part physics sandbox. It has wall-running, first-person combat, a faction system and a non-linear story in which you can fail at every junction and still make it to the end.

You wouldn’t call it a traditional CRPG – it’s made up of a series of smaller levels rather than an open world – but senior producer Chris Siegel thinks the same sandbox freedom that inspired his team will increasingly inspire those making other RPGs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom