Exp:Conq Expeditions: Conquistador - More Reviews

Expeditions: Conquistador

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
While you are waiting for our review, here are two other reviews for Expeditions: Conquistador.
Armless Octopus, 4/5:
Overall, I was surprised at how much fun I had playing Expeditions: Conquistador. Underneath the complex systems is an easy game to play, requiring just the one hand on the mouse to do everything. Discovering how the different systems affect each other was also intriguing given how new I am to the genre. The game is rather pleasant to look at, too. Though it doesn’t feature exceptional graphics, the land is colorful and varied and easy on the eyes for extended play sessions. Sound effects are appreciably visceral, and the soundtrack for battles in particular is invigorating without going overboard. The shortcomings in execution come through as bugs, such as infinite death loops that prevent input, and one bug that was almost game-breaking and required a quit to the main menu to shimmy out. I saved often, but the game could afford more checkpoint saves, such as right before battle. Thankfully, bugs didn’t happen often or consistently, and the game loads quickly.
Gamezebo, 4.5/5:
Expeditions: Conquistador uses an interesting advancement mechanic where experience is gained by the part as a whole, and then doled out as you see fit. Followers learn new abilities as they get promoted, in addition to getting better at what they already do. Loot falls into one generic “Equipment” category, where it can be spent as points to upgrade the weapons and armor of party members. That and the valuables you gain (which can be traded in towns for more supplies or equipment) are some of the few colorless parts of an otherwise imaginative game.
Since you don’t even get to the mainland of what we now like to call North America without proving your mettle by assisting the governor of Hispaniola, the campaign seems like it provides plenty of material to seek your RPG teeth into. Replay value comes in the form of multiple difficulty levels, and a multiplayer mode was recently added to allow players to match wits within the combat mode.
More information.

i've had the infinite death anime loop twice now, i chortle more then get upset because its an awesome infinite blood spray fountain worthy of machine girl.

It's nice to see the game getting good reviews. I look forward to the Watch's review.

It's coming, it's coming :)

When? As it seems, I'll die sooner.

Richard, no patches - the game has no bugs. Well, none that I could find. And yes I'm the frenzy nitpicker who hates so many Skyrim bugs.

If ever a game needed quick travel it is this one, ugh.

Good game, it's just soooooooo tedious to travel back and forth.

I've been having fun with this game and have run into a few bugs but nothing compared to most RPG's at launch. I completely agree about this game needing some quick travel though especially when you get to Mexico and need to keep going back and forth to specific place which seems to be in its own corner of the map opposite of all the quests. I'm leaving this vague so I don't spoil it for those who don't have the game yet or haven't go there yet but yeah every 10 days I have to keep going back and it takes forever.

I'm so happy for the team, that they got this kickstarted, and it sounds like they hit it out of the park. Was a great deign concept - can't wait to play it!

Picked this up on the weekend from GOG and been enjoying it. Unique setting, good story & encounters, well-written and interesting concepts that for the most part are well-executed - e.g. camping and combat. Has some issues certainly but nothing game breaking. It really allows you to play with different styles too - e.g. the typical conquistador oppressing natives or slaves, or as an altruistic 21st century do-gooder. If you like exploration and TBS tactical combat, this is worth playing.

Just finished it today. It took about 22 hours according to Steam which feels a bit short for this style of game but at least it didn't overstay its welcome.

A solid game over all. There's still a few bugs including some infinite loop problems which require killing the process from task manager. What I enjoyed the most was the writing. The tone and length of the text was just right and the game never copped out of presenting evil options. Not Bioware evil, which tends to translate as being a slightly dimwitted dick, but proper slit-a-young-native-boy's-throat-just-to-prove-a-point evil. It's the only (non-humorous) game I've played where the evil overlord - me - wins in the end.

When? As it seems, I'll die sooner.

Richard, no patches - the game has no bugs. Well, none that I could find. And yes I'm the frenzy nitpicker who hates so many Skyrim bugs.

You never see bugs in any game other then Skyrim.

Back
Top Bottom