Fallout: New Vegas - Mini Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's a handful of Fallout New Vegas and related items. First, a preview at OXM that covers the same ground as earlier articles, stepping through the opening moments:
After chatting up the locals, you trigger the “Ghost Town Firefight” quest. And with a name like that, guess what you’ll be doing? It seems the Powder Gangers — a band of outlaws who’ve stolen the town’s powder kegs — are set to attack Goodsprings and loot it, and now you’re tasked with recruiting as many of the townsfolk as possible to defend it. Or you could partner up with the Powder Gangers instead and burn the whole damn place to the ground. Your call.
Atomic Gamer opines on How To Improve On Fallout 3:
It's a pretty widely-held opinion that the animations in Fallout 3 aren't really as good as they should be - for moving around, non-verbal communication, and for fighting. It's not just for the enemies, but for the main character as well; in fact, some modders have tried their hand at fixing the problem, with only limited success - it turns out that the moddability of the GameBryo engine doesn't extend to the animation system very well. Still, the problem remains - everything from running to jumping and firing weapons in FO3 does feel a bit wooden, just like they did with Oblivion back in 2006, and while that might have been acceptable four years ago, it's not anymore. Obsidian would do well to put the effort in to re-animate pretty much everything if they can, including the enemies from FO3 that will be reappearing in New Vegas (like the Super Mutants).
...and the Bethblog has a new Inside the Vault dev profile for F:NV Senior Producer, Larry Liberty:
What’s your job at Obsidian?
Put simply, I manage the production of Fallout: New Vegas. In practice, that means managing a small team of producers that in turn manage the five cross-discipline teams of developers responsible for creating the game. [We have broken the team into smaller sub-teams, each focused on a specific goal each milestone. Incidentally, these teams are all named after items found in the Fallout universe: Team Buffout, Fancy(lads), Mentats, Nuka, and Psycho.] I manage two of the teams myself and coordinate with the rest of my production crew in a relatively organic manner. My primary job is to see that Josh’s [Josh Sawyer, Project Director/Lead Designer] vision is executed to the fullest extent possible while staying within scope.
More information.

I'm looking forward to this. Note that the OXM preview is really spoiler heavy. I like that there will allegedly be many skill options in conversations, and I suspect the writing will be superior to FO3's. Maybe I'll reinstall the base game and give it another go in anticipation of a richer Fallout experience on the horizon.

In the first two Fallout titles about a decade ago, doing this was just a matter of adding some extra writing since nothing was voice acted, but that's just not feasible with today's demands of super-high production values

:thinking:

Did I just read that correctly? If so, it's a blatant and fairly obvious untruth for those who know the original games.

:thinking:

Did I just read that correctly? If so, it's a blatant and fairly obvious untruth for those who know the original games.

Very little was voice acted by current standards. And even then it was hit and miss; sometimes main character actually talked (out loud) to you and sometimes not.

Back
Top Bottom