RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Druidstone - Impressions Video
View Single Post

June 10th, 2019, 15:40
How anyone can claim with a straight face that a classical dungeon crawler like Legend of Grimrock isn't an exploration game is beyond me. Unless you're an omniscient clairvoyant who somehow knows what's coming up every corridor and knows every single secret, or someone who cheats by using walkthroughs constantly, you actually have to explore that dungeon to learn about it and the nature of the puzzles within it.

Further, if you'd told a kid when he was playing Dungeon Master for the first time "sorry bud, but you're not exploring when you play this", he'd rightfully look at you as if you were insane. Exploration is simply a vital part of the dungeon crawling experience. The feeling of traversing a level and making it to an entire new area in these games can be very satisfying and indeed, make one want to explore more!

If you want to maintain that point of view, that's fine, but go play the game on oldschool mode where there's no automap feature and come back tell me again if you think there's no exploration in it.

Legend of Grimrock 2 also had wonderful overland outdoor locations which were fantastically dense with content and full of things to discover. You're missing out if you didn't play that one - that was definitely my GotY back in 2014.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1: