RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - The TV Series discussion thread
View Single Post

December 4th, 2019, 15:25
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
As everyone knows, I didn't like Star Wars movies post the original trilogy
Well, as everyone knows:
- I actually liked Dungeon Lords
- I rank some of the newer movies higher than Return of the Jedi
- I will ALWAYS go on opening night to see any new Star Wars movie and buy it on day of home release.

So I might not be the best to ask!

That said - I enjoyed Solo well enough for what it was, and same for Rogue One in spite of the main character having absolutely no agency and so many of her actions and motivations being nonsensical.

Is this new series the same cringeworthy boredom as post original trilogy movies or it's concept is more like Clone Wars and Rebels?
I watched the original ‘Clone Wars Cartoon’ series - those quick vignettes and a bit of the subsequent series, but have never seen more recent stuff or any of Rebels. So I can’t compare.

I have to ask something though. As everyone knows, I didn't like Star Wars movies post the original trilogy and kinda thought I'm not gonna invest a minute of my time into any of it. Rogue One put the nail in the coffin, I wish I could get my money back![/B]?
As for Mandalorians … as I said before, it is an episodic ‘Spaghetti Western’ with Star Wars themes. I think it is well done, the characters are interesting as is the slow build, and I actually like the ‘conflict of the week against over-arching larger plot’ structure.

I find it disingenuous that many here differentiate having a plot element centered around ‘The Child’ (Yoda baby) compared to the T&A elements that they often celebrate in their shows of choice. I see all McGuffins as essentially equal - and at least this one has significant lore implications.

But tastes differ … I enjoyed it, and my film student son loves it for technical reasons as well (the one who insisted I watch Drive again). And we got to watch the last episode together over the holiday which is a rarity, so that is cool!
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)