What games are you playing now?

I was a bit surprised so far, the graphics was not as good as I expected with everything on Ultra and maxed hair-works...
Excuse me?
Name me one other game that can compete with that (except Square Enix' pair TR2 and DX4 that were released after).

I have to agree with GG. The graphics are nice but I've seen better recently in Batman Arkham Knight. The issue might be that with all the overhyping and gushing of some people and the media, expectations are extremely high and then it is a little "disappointing", or maybe sobering would be a better word, when you find out that the game actually looks "only" very decent.
At least that's what it's like for me. But who cares? What counts is the content, the story, the quests, Geralt, the characters, the dialogue, the exploration. The graphics are secondary. They are more than good enough, of course, but they aren't exactly blowing me away either.

I can't imagine many people thinking TW3's graphics are only very decent. Have we really become that spoiled when it comes to visuals?

Anyways, I'll have to disagree. There isn't another RPG right now that looks better than TW3 on Ultra settings, and I don't think there are many games in general that match or surpass it.

Yeah, it gets a little annoying when we start fussing overly much on visuals. This is a role-playing game focused site after all. I think we are a bit spoiled at times. :)

I'm playing the Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition at the moment in preparation for my first shot at Witcher 3. I'm on the Roche path after playing the Iorveth path a few years back under the early 2.0 patch. Whilst some of my old issues remain with the game (iffy combat system, slightly more generic setting and feeling compared to the first game) the narrative change up in playing Chapter 2 in the Kaedwin camp has been highly enjoyable. It also runs wonderfully and much more smoothly on my new system.

I've just started Chapter 3 and hope to be done in a couple of weeks with play mostly restricted to weekends. I'd love to be able to start the third game as my holiday period starts in mid December. :) I've also picked up the Apocalypse edition of Dark Souls III specifically for this anticipated occasion.

I can not speak for GG but for me this is definitely a case of overhyping. I have read so many posts/reviews/whatever that the visuals of TW3 are one of a kind and awesome beyond anything that has ever been seen before yada yada yada that I probably simply expected more.
But when I compare it to other contemporary games like Arkham Knight, well, I have to say -purely subjectively naturally(!)- that AK trumps TW3 in attention to detail, art direction and overall quality.
I definitely can not identify anything that would justify the perceived overhyping. There is nothing extremely special to the visual quality. It is very pretty, of course, but is it groundbreaking, never seen anything like it before or revolutionary as some people would have you believe? Nope. Sorry. Not for me at least.
It's still way up there, of course. I'm not arguing that but it isn't the Second Coming either.

I can not speak for GG but for me this is definitely a case of overhyping. I have read so many posts/reviews/whatever that the visuals of TW3 are one of a kind and awesome beyond anything that has ever been seen before yada yada yada that I probably simply expected more.
But when I compare it to other contemporary games like Arkham Knight, well, I have to say -purely subjectively naturally(!)- that AK trumps TW3 in attention to detail, art direction and overall quality.

I'm not sure anyone said that, openly. For massive size open world, currently...yes, they are. Though this will be very likely be quickly surpassed by Horizon Zero Dawn or some other title.
But art direction and world design is phenomenal... how they portrayed three distinctively different cultures across the full length of the game. Though you could say it's a matter of taste, Arkham Knight has a very different thing going for it.
Right now, probably best looking games are Order, Uncharted IV and Forza.

But art direction and world design is phenomenal… how they portrayed three distinctively different cultures across the full length of the game. Though you could say it's a matter of taste, Arkham Knight has a very different thing going for it.

This^

The variety might be the most impressive thing about TW3. Not only does it look fantastic, but they managed to portray several distinct visual styles in the same game, and that's not something you see often.

Arkham Knight looks amazing, but it's also a smaller game with a more consistent visual style. I'd say it's very subjective which one looks better.

I'm playing Enderal right now and i really like it. Has some problems but the whole experience is great. Enderal and fallout new vegas has changed totally my opinion about this kind of rpg. Hoping for more games like that

I'm been playing a neat little game called The Deadly Tower of Monsters. It's an action-adventure game with a somewhat unique visual style and level design. It's played as if you're taking part in a 1970's-style sci-fi movie.

You swap between three different characters as you climb an immense tower throughout the game. You battle various monsters as you go and collect loot and power-ups to upgrade your weapons. The game has a sense of vertical scale unlike anything I've ever played. You can jump off the tower and freefall to collect certain items and discover secret areas, etc.

It's a steal for the price. http://store.steampowered.com/app/353700/

Excuse me?
Name me one other game that can compete with that (except Square Enix' pair TR2 and DX4 that were released after).

Have you seen Battlefield 1 ?

And just like Moriender said, I was expecting even more on Ultra, it is not that it looks bad or anything like that. Also hair-works is not on other characters, only Geralt, animals and monsters, some characters has horrible looking hair still. I'll give more detailed graphics feedback as I played more. Still a truly amazing game so far.

No, I'm not interested in MMOs.
My point was games released before TW3. Of course from games released after is expected to try to be better than TW3. In every way, not just graphics.

In any case find me something like this in B1:

https://twitter.com/LukePlunkett/status/635434120290537472?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

https://twitter.com/LukePlunkett/status/634325568754962432?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Reason for dozens of different NPCs have console hair is… Well… Consoles. It would be too costly to have both console hair and PC hair for so many characters.
I have to agree with GG. The graphics are nice but I've seen better recently in Batman Arkham Knight.
Is that a joke? If not… You seriously need to buy Order 1886 then.

You too find me something like from those tweets in that broken mess of yours. Should be easy. To find those two examples above I googled the game title and one single word. F word. I bet the same word criteria will find you stellar vista examples in Warner's let's beat Skyrim's bug record product.

Last edited:
No, I'm not interested in MMOs.
My point was games released before TW3. Of course from games released after is expected to try to be better than TW3. In every way, not just graphics.

Reason for dozens of different NPCs have console hair is… Well… Consoles. It would be too costly to have both console hair and PC hair for so many characters.

Is that a joke? If not… You seriously need to buy Order 1886 then.

Yes, those darned consoles, that is probably the reason for not allowing more than 10 custom map markers as well, and those cannot even have notes :S

I'm been playing a neat little game called The Deadly Tower of Monsters. It's an action-adventure game with a somewhat unique visual style and level design. It's played as if you're taking part in a 1970's-style sci-fi movie.

It's a steal for the price. http://store.steampowered.com/app/353700/

That looks awesome, good find!

Yes, those darned consoles, that is probably the reason for not allowing more than 10 custom map markers as well, and those cannot even have notes :S

Never placed 10 or more so it doesn't have to be consoles reason, maybe they thought 10 is enough?
Although wouldn't surprise me if the reason is consoles. Because of that rotten hardware some games can't have more than one checkpoint save or more than 3 savegame slots.

I understand you, I'm currently working through my backlog playing Balrum, Ember, and Halycon 6. They're all decent enough games, but I sometimes have the hollow feeling after playing them that I'd rather be replaying Pillars of Eternity with the Winter's March, or something else that I really enjoyed. This is becoming an increasing problem for me. I remember two or three years ago I probably would have been thrilled with any one of those games, but that was because I had replayed my classics so often that I was excited to get my hands on any new rpg. Now there are so many decent but not great rpgs, and so many rpgs that I feel are super and which I've only played through once that I feel pretty jaded.

I actually think there are tons of good RPGs, but I have never been someone who replays games much unless relatively short.

I only finished Gothic once although I restarted the game multiple time and got up to Chapter 3/4 a few times for example.

In general, I enjoy RPGs when I can sink a week into them and finish them, so anything over 40 hours is too long for me usually. That's the main problem with current RPGs for me.

I think I would love Divinity OS, but hearing people talk about 150 hours of gameplay makes me want to scream. I am so happy I still have all of Risen 2, The Withcer 1 and 2 to play as I know those games are good durations for me.

I still have the issue of League of Legends though.
I actually feel I am getting better and it is showing in my rankings. I have moved up from their penultimate lowest league, Bronze 4, to Bronze 1 and I am in the promotion games to move up to Silver 5.
I have three more games to play and one win would move me up. I also just discovered the champion called "Rumble" and I have a lot of fun with him, because his entire outfit is to roast other champions :D

I think I would love Divinity OS, but hearing people talk about 150 hours of gameplay makes me want to scream. I am so happy I still have all of Risen 2, The Withcer 1 and 2 to play as I know those games are good durations for me.

I still have the issue of League of Legends though.
I actually feel I am getting better and it is showing in my rankings. I have moved up from their penultimate lowest league, Bronze 4, to Bronze 1 and I am in the promotion games to move up to Silver 5.
I have three more games to play and one win would move me up. I also just discovered the champion called "Rumble" and I have a lot of fun with him, because his entire outfit is to roast other champions :D

I have returned to League of legends after long time, Sadly I am stuck in silver 5 because of inactivity (I was in gold earlier this year).

Also Rumble is my all time most played champion I been playing him since season 2. He is ton of fun and probably only carry like champion that I truly now how to play (I generally play either support or top lane tanks). he is generally good champ to main because he can win a team fight with well placed ulti.

Alan Wake, just a few hours in. Pretty interesting this one...sort of Max Payne/RE IV/Twin peaks mix.
Really great ambiance, but man controls are a bit annoying. Didn't play something like this since Dead Space.

Back
Top Bottom