Arx Fatalis - v1.18 Patch Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Worthplaying has a 1.18 patch for Arx Fatalis, as expected from the recent Anniversary Edition news. Here's the fix list:
  • Fixed D3D texture creation that triggered white textured objects / Characters on recent hardware configurations.
  • Fixed a crash on TNL Bump Mapping management.
  • Fixed several memory leaks.
  • Fixed the text font not being displayed on recent hardware configurations.
  • Fixed a specific crash on spells use.
  • Tweaked the Fireball spell damage rule, to make it less powerful & more balanced.
  • Fixed a bug where the game would quit if the ESC key was pressed during the New Game fade to black.
More information.

With the release of the anniversary edition and this patch I am wondering if they are gearing up to go back to making Arx Fatalis 2 like they were originally going to do before DMofM&M put them off track.

I did a quick test of this. For some reason, my cherished legacy gaming rig -- the same one I originally played Arx on -- now exhibits the invisible font problem with 1.17. I've never seen that before. The 1.18 patch does not fix that. I may try a couple different drivers I know work with that card tomorrow, when I'm awake. This is the same Nvidia 4200 Ti I used with Arx way back when, so I'm surprised to see this problem now -- I've avoided updating the drivers precisely because of the age of the system.

However, the 1.18 patch does fix the missing texture problem I was seeing on my new Core 2 Duo + Nvidia 7900GS. But some of the start-up images may be missing -- when I start the app, it sits at a black screen for several seconds with a heart-beat sound effect before it finally shows some of the familiar load screen. So after a quick test drive, it looks like it's running fine on that system.

One observation with the patch: It loses track of where the game folder is, and you get an error message about not being able to locate the data files if you click on an existing shortcut. I fixed this by editing the shortcut's "Start In" folder to be path to the Arx folder ("F:\Arx" on my system).

I actually have been playing this game lately on my computer which is a high end computer with Vista on it and don't have any problems.

Yeah, black font color on dark blue background. Is there any special argument for this? As far as I can see there is no spoiler inside the changelog.

With the release of the anniversary edition and this patch I am wondering if they are gearing up to go back to making Arx Fatalis 2 like they were originally going to do before DMofM&M put them off track.

Let's pray and have hope :please::please::please:

Does anyone know if the fireball balance was done well? After I got that spell the game was pretty much auto-win, so I'd be interested in playing it again if it is balanced out.

Stanza
I've never seen that before.
Could be from a DirectX upgrade as well as drivers.

Avantenor
Yeah, black font color on dark blue background.
It's a forum bug, iirc.

CutLunch
I never played this one. Is it a bit of a gem?
Yes, very good, it's a remake of Ultima Underworld, iirc.
It was Arkine's first game on a engine they made, it's like a very good B move, some cheesy videos, voice and very fun. :)

While I would love such a thing to be true, I actually see this in the opposite light. If they were planning an Arx Fatalis 2 I'd guess, although I'm no marketing guru, that it would make sense to do something like this as a promotional item nearer the date of release. That they are skipping such an opportunity seems like it may bode poorly for Arx Fatalis 2.

Hope you are wrong Guhndahb. I loved Arx and have reinstalled it a few times for some additional runs. Arx2 would be on my buy list from the get go.

Hope you are wrong Guhndahb. I loved Arx and have reinstalled it a few times for some additional runs. Arx2 would be on my buy list from the get go.
I hope I'm wrong too! Hopefully it's just my over-developed pessimism that makes me think so and not any form of prognostication. :D

I'd buy Arx 2 without hesitation as well even if it suffered the likely modern maladies of cross-platformitis and action-centricillus. ;)

Back
Top Bottom