Knights of the Chalice II - August Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Knights of the Chalice II is nearly feature complete, a Kickstarter campaign is expected in November:

August 2018 Update, the Light at the End of the Dungeon?

Hello everyone, here is the promised August update on the development of Knights of the Chalice 2.

I call this update the 'Light at the End of the Dungeon' because it's the first time that the game is virtually feature complete! And that is a great relief to me. First, let's review the main things that were added since the last update. Secondly, we will have a look at some Necromancer Class design ideas. The Necromancer and Summoner are two possible Kickstarter Stretch Goals for the KotC 2 Kickstarter expected in November 2018. Thirdly, we will have an in-depth look at the beginning of the prologue adventure, called Augury of Chaos. I expect that it will be too big to be a free demo, particularly if it comes with the Module Editor. It will be a good stand-alone prologue adventure. Warning: if you want to avoid spoilers, then you should not read the content of the dialogue screens posted below. Finally, we will talk a little bit about what's next.
[...]
More information.

That's an amazing amount of content. A Zealot should join him and create animated characters and monsters for the game!

Always great to see any updates on this project. I'll be there at the kick starter launch come November, with wallet in hand!!

Might even knock out yet another play through on the first Knights before then, with a little luck.

I'll be a backer. I might even throw in some extra cash to hit a stretch goal for extra monster tokens. :fingerscrossed:

I may even buy another copy of KotC. Poor bastard is eating roots and we need him to keep his hit points up to finish KotC II. :)

I purchased and played KotC recently. Ugh. No thanks.

You're literally the first person I've ever heard dislike that game...

Regarding animation/graphics, Pierre said some time ago that all character and monster graphics will be swappable for custom versions. No animation in the engine as it stands though. I was considering creating a custom set myself just using Creative Commons licensed sprites.

I will back this game also. It will be the first kickstarter I've backed in years. Pierre is a bit of a dick, but his game was hella fun.

I'm trying to look at this game positively, but he's hurting me with this interface, in addition to the bottletop characters. Looks like an eye-gouger from Frontpage '97. :p

why? it was a good game.

It was an excellent game!! Exactly why I'm instantly aghast at the look of KOTC 2! It NEEDS animated characters. KOTC 2 now has so many amazing classes, races, necromancers, black wizards. It needs animated characters and it will be a superb game!

I'm trying to look at this game positively, but he's hurting me with this interface, in addition to the bottletop characters. Looks like an eye-gouger from Frontpage '97. :p

I actually stopped looking at his interface. I said it before: it's one thing to say "I'm doing it my way!" It's another to throw out 30 years of design standards and create a literally headache inducing abortion of an interface.

He did such a great job, with so few resources, for the first game. So what the everloving fuck is going on now?

Yes, I'd like for it to be good, but I just wouldn't play it while it looks like this.

It's like he bought a book on what NOT to do in visual design, and went through it page by page, systematically violating it.

You're literally the first person I've ever heard dislike that game…

I dislike the limited resting. It requires a ton of game time having to replay until you find the secret spot or the right tactics, and my time is limited. I finally gave up deep in the orc stronghold.

Those screenchots look more like a Roll20 session than a game.

I think that might be why I kind of like it. Looks like playing Keep on the Borderlands on graph paper. It looks very efficient. :)

Yeah, and don't get me wrong, the character tokens are just a design choice that I don't like, but can deal with. The interface design, though, I think goes beyond basic, and into the realms of design incompetence. It looks like what happens after you teach your eccentric aunty how to use formatting and Word art. :p

I'd really like to see the project succeed, and I hate that the poor bugger is foraging for nuts and berries, but I really think he could improve his impression on KS by smartening up the UI design. Perhaps it's just me, but a look at that would make me think, "amateurish junk", rather than "low-budget indie gem". Superficial, but I think it makes a difference.

I actually stopped looking at his interface. I said it before: it's one thing to say "I'm doing it my way!" It's another to throw out 30 years of design standards and create a literally headache inducing abortion of an interface.

He did such a great job, with so few resources, for the first game. So what the everloving fuck is going on now?
It is his roots diet.
And I am not kidding:
Okay, sounds good, so what's next?

Well, I'm planning to use the next 40 to 50 days to pack as much interesting content as possible into the prologue adventure, Augury of Chaos.

My next updates will probably be smaller: I will make a small update when my KotC 2 Features and Screenshots web pages are released, and another small update when my new Youtube videos for both KotC 2 and KotC 1 are released.

Now, a little bit about my personal life: I'm going through a difficult time financially. So I'm surviving just by eating roots - figuratively and literally: ginger and turmeric roots - and I am placing a whole lot of hope into the upcoming Kickstarter for KotC 2.

So, while I keep working very hard on KotC 2, please do your best to promote KotC 1 and advertise the Kickstarter expected to come in November 2018.
I underlined the important part..

It looks like what happens after you teach your eccentric aunty how to use formatting and Word art. :p

Heh, I get the impression Pierre is a bit eccentric.

Back
Top Bottom