WeGame to Rival Steam With Worldwide Release

• Thread starter Deleted member 18181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18181

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/07/09/tencent-wegame-steam-rival/

Chinese video game behemoth Tencent is looking to take its PC game-selling platform WeGame outside of China and around the world in a move that would solidify a rivalry with Steam.

Tencent’s WeGame operates in a similar fashion to Steam by letting PC players in China purchase and play games through the platform

Old news to me. ;)
But anyway, once they go worldwide, all they need to do is stigmatize games that contain lootboxes scam. If they do I'll ditch Steam and buy games there. If they don't, they can rot for all I care.

The bit is that one quarter of Steam users use simplified chinese.

Chinese market pressure a la US market incoming.

WeGame has a better UI than Steams 2004 clunky lagfest.

That's a positive.

Steam could definitely use a kick up the arse.

Exactly what @Ripper; said! Steam has had a near-monopoly for FAR too long. They haven't been sitting still but they sure aren't running hard, either. This should put the fear of market share in them.

That said, China isn't exactly known for fair trade practices, either. Can't really judge that until Tencent actually shows up, though.

Agree about Steam needing a rival but sorry wont support a Chinese company.

You mean an obvious chinese company :) the majority of goods today are manufactured by China. And if it says another country on the tag, theres a good chance its a chinese company operating it anyway "made from local and imported goods"

You mean an obvious chinese company :) the majority of goods today are manufactured by China. And if it says another country on the tag, theres a good chance its a chinese company operating it anyway "made from local and imported goods"
True as all electronics are nowadays, or just parts for assembly in the US, Then again this is a topic for the political forum, but the blame is more on the corporate side.

I've also seen a few videos on how workers are treated in China. Actually not just China because it's easier to pay everyone $0.50-1.00 instead of $12 an hour.

Anyway have to give China credit for making the worlds most crap.

Just take a trip to Walmart.:lol:

Last edited:
Meh, Chinese, American, Russian, British, same shit. If it gives Steam some competition, it's a good thing.

I will not buy games from a service/platform from China. No way in hell. I don't agree with communism and they censor all kinds of shit within China too. And I get that many goods are made in China, and I don't think it is a good thing…they are using dirt cheap labor and exploiting workers.

Well, I've met plenty of people who say "No Steam, no buy". Not that they love Steam so much, but they don't want their game library split up between a bunch of different digital distribution platforms. And as long as game libraries are always tied to specific stores/publishers, I don't see how Steam will ever lose its (almost) monopoly.

I certainly don't see anyone rivaling Steam for the foreseeable future.

That said, if you want to get people to leave a platform that's so entrenched - you really, really need to give them a good reason.

I'm not sure being big and Chinese is going to be enough.

I care about games, not platforms.
People like you are the very reason scamming mmos exist.
A curated platorm that would remove fraudulent DLC and pay2win schemes is a must.

I'm not saying Tencent will make a platform where people like me won't see any presence nor advertisment of scamware. Their modus operandi is buy a company, if it's not broken don't "fix" it.
I certainly don't see anyone rivaling Steam for the foreseeable future.
Sheep never leave their herd, even while being slaughtered.
Humans however in critical moments tend to be defiant, even when the other choice is objectively worse.
I will. I adore asians. Sure, they suck with some stuff, but who doesn't?

scamming mmos.

oooh Tencent, our Chinese overlord (they own shares in basically every video game company on the planet).

I'm not sure about using their "Steam-wannabe" though, if it ever get released "oversea". I have enough "digital game retailers" app on my PC already.

Back
Top Bottom