Starflight Remake - Dev Diaries

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest dev diaries for the Starflight Remake look at strange alien encounters and the creation of alien communications.

Are You Friends of the Elowan?

(Originally posted by Marvin 20/12/2018 HERE)

The Thrynn have been born. They were pretty easy to create since there were already a few pretty decent gecko and lizard models out there on the Internet. I found one that I could use, but it was in Maya format. So I installed Maya for the sole purpose of exporting the model out into the FBX format. I imported the model into 3D Studio Max and then started my work on it. The only thing I really did to the model was to elongate the snout a bit and to bend the body so it looks like he is standing upright. I also rigged and skinned the model so it could be animated in Unity. This is what the Thrynn looked like in the original game:

I also built the eyeballs and created the cat eye texture maps for them. I used the body texture maps that came with the model nearly as-is - the only change being the general color tint. The original color was brown/tan, and I tinted it to green since that is the color the Thrynn appeared in the original game. For the background, I found some interesting looking sci-fi wall and used that.

Here are the pictures and video!

[...]

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Now this is something interesting.
Starflight was a masterpiece BACK THEN (heck I still have the C64 floppies!) -- but dunno if it could succeed NOWADAYS, after Mass Effect.

I sincerely hope this remake would remain a small, humble project, so the developers won't get psyched with "new exciting features", "next-gen looks" and "new market demands".

I remember playing the Sega Genesis version when I was a kid. I'm not sure if it was a port of the first game or the sequel, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I'm definitely interested in a remake, but I hope they inject a little more variety than the originals had. I spent way too much time mining for minerals. :)

Developer has been MIA for over 6 months now. Promised to return though...

I remember playing the Sega Genesis version when I was a kid. I'm not sure if it was a port of the first game or the sequel, but I had a lot of fun with it.

FYI, it was a console port of the first game, with better graphics, easier controls, etc. Personally, I prefer the Genesis version too, as the original is somewhat awkward to play.

I worked in a piano shop and this game was loaded on the only pc in the building. I probably played it for 1000 hours..in beautiful CGA.

I also played the Genesis version of Starflight. Fond memories of those days when the sega/ cd vaguely touched on rpg/computer gaming. We got Dungeon Master 2, EoB (sega cd), M&M2 (gen), Star Control (gen), etc.

Never played the original but I'm looking forward to this remake. The game seems neat if you're into aliens and weird encounters and what not.

Back
Top Bottom