Slay the Spire, 4th character: The Watcher

Drithius

Magic & Loss
If you own Slay the Spire, you might want to check out the beta branch (steam options - opt in). There is now a 4th character, The Watcher.

For me, this is one of those games that's fun during the learning phase and while you target a few achievement goals but instantly dies at an exact point of experience.

I got a good solid 150 hours of entertainment out of it over a long time period but all the hours after that, about 60 more, were just me weening myself off of it, trying to find that initial magic again and not finding anything but ever decreasing interest.

About 40 of those last 60 were trying out the 'new' third character, which I lost interest in very quickly. I finally unistalled the game about 6 months back and haven't had a single urge to play it since then.

They could release 20 new characters and it would do nothing to regain my interest. I'm not sure what would at this point tbh. There's not much to the game beyond the mechanics and, in particular, learning the mechanics, to which most of your first 50 hours are just 'earning' all the cards needed to play the game anyway.

I got my money's worth without a doubt but news like this just comes across as beating a dead horse from my perspective.

I'm mixed. I started it 2 days ago; finished a run. I'll probably play another 3 or 4 days and move on. I mean its ok but I think i've played better games. There just isn't enough depth or something is missing. Then again they are still adding to it so who knows what the future hold.

I love the game, but I'm done with it too. I doubt I came close to putting 150 hours into it, but I spent a lot of time with it and it was time well spent. But there is only so much you can play any one game.

So I'm not as excited about the new class either, though I may try it out. But I still think the game itself is one of the best within it's genre. My only criticism is that the way you unlock new cards isn't that interesting. Dream Quest had hands down the most interesting unlock mechanics of the genre and it kept the replay value really high.

I've two mates that rave about this game, but I've not yet tried it out myself. It's on my list, and I appreciate being able to read thoughts on the game, so thanks.

The new class is all about [card] deck manipulation. It's really powerful in the hands of an expert who is comfortable with filtering through a deck on their own terms, but if you're just an average player (like me!), it can be downright frustrating.

My favorite class is still the Defect - by far. Such a fun, forgiving class that works with practically any deck layout/draw.

I prefer the poison guy; poison rocks. The defect to me is too dependent on critical cards.

The new class is all about [card] deck manipulation. It's really powerful in the hands of an expert who is comfortable with filtering through a deck on their own terms, but if you're just an average player (like me!), it can be downright frustrating.

My favorite class is still the Defect - by far. Such a fun, forgiving class that works with practically any deck layout/draw.

Deva form sucks, it needs a buff.
*2 hours later*
Deva form is OP, it needs nerf!

I've run into deva form 1x in around 6 tries at the Watcher. Rhapsody (streamer guy above) ran into it 3x in his first playthrough. Heh.

Back
Top Bottom