The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

After these two, their albums had one or two very good songs and rest was pretty much uncreative filler.

That's why I can't personally jump on the Amorphis bandwagon. I have the album "Eclipse," but I just wasn't intrigued enough to buy any more.

The single "Killing Saturday Night" by horrorpunk band Nim Vind. Think doo-wop, punk and 50s b-movie sensibilities mixed together for those who don't know the genre.

Ahhh, Nim Vind :). I prefer Blitzkid, The Other and the ladies whose band name I just forgot (I didn't forget that they are fans of Screamin Lord Sutch :D), but Nim Vind are okay, too.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was listening to "Mama (Work in progress)" from the second Archive compilation by Genesis. This "work in progress" piece is even more disturbing than the completed original.

Blitzkid is definitely awesome, especially their newer album Anatomy of Reanimation, which is them redoing classics of theirs and making them even more sweet. The Other's album The Place to Bleed was real good too. And no problem, Samhain. Good username by the way, haha. Nim's new album, the Stillness Illness, is really, really good.

Another band I've been real into lately that you may enjoy is Children of the Night. The songs Ghoul Like You and Route 44 are rad as hell.

Dream Theater has just released their 10th studio album "Black Clouds & Silver Lining". I like it, but I'm going to need some time with this album.

Here's an example: A Rite of Passage. The single/video version is 3 minutes shorter than the album version.

This is a pretty good song by a band called the Great Lake Swimmers. I guess these guys do some pretty dark music, but they decided to do a record that appeals to both adults and kids (I qualify as both I suppose, lol). It's a catchy tune.

'See You On The Moon'

http://www.last.fm/music/Great+Lake+Swimmers/_/See+You+On+The+Moon

Weirdness: just listening to Gothika (the Japanese act, there are others of the same name). I have seen their singer recently on stage when he did some support for Sara Noxx. Boy, the guy can actually sing... you wouldn't suspect from listening to their featured stuff on Myspace.
Anyway.... be sure to listen to the wonderfully titled 'Army March Drawn Sword Police'... :harl:

Weirdness: just listening to Gothika (the Japanese act, there are others of the same name). I have seen their singer recently on stage when he did some support for Sara Noxx. Boy, the guy can actually sing... you wouldn't suspect from listening to their featured stuff on Myspace.
Anyway.... be sure to listen to the wonderfully titled 'Army March Drawn Sword Police'... :harl:

All I know is I followed your link to their page and had to immediately backtrack due to the picture of some dude dressed in oriental drag. Yikes. O_O

Huh, I kinda like the sound.

Jabberwocky: sissy. :p

Good call, Sir Markus. I've always preferred the title track, though--the chorus section is like a cloud rollercoaster.
"Heaven or Las Vegas"

Iceblink takes 3rd place for me, behind this one:
"Fotzepolitic"

For me, some wonderfully powerful ethereal goth:
"Blinking Tears" by Claire Voyant

Heaven or Las Vegas is an outstanding song. Man I'm so old, I think 'Blue Bell Knoll' is their best album, just my opinion. I loved 'Carolyn's Fingers' and my all time favorite song of theirs was the soaring 'A Kissed Out Red Floatboat' one of the best songs I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5o5hVSgrK4&feature=related

Last edited:
For some reason, I've just never given Mazzy Star much of a listen. Couldn't say why, because I should really enjoy them. I'll see your Hope and raise you a Lynn. ;) (good luck tracking a copy of this one down without paying a small fortune)

The Moon Seven Times

Mazzy Star is one of those groups that has a few amazing songs on a record, and then the rest are throwaways. They've always been like that and it's a little annoying.

Check out their second record, 'So Tonight I Might See' for their most consistent effort. Their last record, 'Among My Swan' had two songs, 'Cry, Cry' and, in my opinion the best song Mazzy Star ever did, 'Happy' That almost makes it worth buying just for those two songs.

Back
Top Bottom