Skyrim - Interview @ Kotaku

aries100

SasqWatch
Todd Howard also talked to Kotaku during PAX and he told them about Bethesda's bug squashing plans:
With Skyrim, Bethesda will adopt a special direct connection to their game—on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360—that will let them update the game on the fly, similarly to how EA is able to tweak the rosters of their sports games without going through the standard multi-day or multi-week waits to update most games on consoles. They are also running new and better processes to catch bugs before the game launches.
Before launch, Howard said, Bethesda is testing Skyrim rigorously and more heavily using a system that runs automated versions of the game overnight, searching for bugs and helping the team squash them. "We're getting better at it," Howard said.
They are also adopting this new EA Sports-style "live update" system that will let Bethesda tweak the data in their game almost immediately. If a quest isn't triggering because players are doing some unforeseen combination of actions, that might be addressable by tweaking the data tables that dictate the flow of events in the game.
More information.

Nice honest assessment of the difficulty of open worlds and emergent gameplay. My approval of Todd just increased. ;)

I suppose this is one of the reasons why Bethesda is using Steam this time around. I just hope this doesn't also mean that they are expecting the game to release with a high amount of bugs...

Saw a couple of skill trees on nerdtrek: http://nerdtrek.com/skyrim-answers-bethesda/

Light Fingers (0/5)
Pickpocketing bonus of 20% – Item weight and value reduce pickpocketing odds…
Night Thief
Pickpocketing sleeping people almost always works…
Poisoned
Place poisons in other people’s pockets silently to harm or kill…
Cutpurse
Pickpocketing gold is 50% easier…
Extra Pockets
Carrying capacity is increased by 100…
Keymaster
Pickpocketing keys always works…
Misdirections
You can pickpocket equipped weapons…
Perfect Touch
You can pickpocket equipped items…

Steel Smithing
Create Steel armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.
Arcane Blacksmith
Improve magical weapons and armor.
Dwarven Smithing
Create Dwarven armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.
Elven Smithing
Create Elven armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.
Orcish Smithing
Create Orcish armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.
Advanced Armors
Create scaled and plate armor at forges. Improve by double.
Glass Smithing
Create glass armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.
Daedric Smithing
Create Daedric armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.
Ebony Smithing
Create Ebony armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.
Dragon Smithing
Create Dragon armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.
You can collect dragon bone and other parts to make really powerful armor and weapons using this skill, it sounds amazing.

I hope it's hard to get parts of the more exclusive armors lika dragon and daedric. The more I hear about the game, the more I'm thinking a high difficulty will be important to get the most out of it. Maybe a mod or two as well (depending on how they deal with levelling, I prefer mine quite static).

They are also adopting this new EA Sports-style "live update" system that will let Bethesda tweak the data in their game almost immediately. If a quest isn't triggering because players are doing some unforeseen combination of actions, that might be addressable by tweaking the data tables that dictate the flow of events in the game.

LIke EA did with Dragon Age 1 ?

Collecting user data on the gamer's behaviour ?

Is this a new trend ?

pardon my ignorance but will "live update" mean always online becomes a requirement? and what will it mean for mods? in NV, updates inevitably caused conflicts, sometimes serious (as in game wont run).

Is there no journalist in this world to ask them what will be the dfferences between PC and consoles versions?

All "journalists" only care about the consoles version.

Odd that ebony armor now rates higher than daedric.

There are hundreds of people that you CAN marry

Oh boy, they're moving in on bioware's racket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom